how many songs?

PDA

View Full Version : how many songs?

guitar?
02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
How many songs should I have written by my bands first practice? I am the main song writer and I want to know what a good number would be. :cool:

bite_the_bullet
02-07-2007, 10:13 PM
any number is a good number. lyric wise though, i would have lots if you can, music wise.... that will probably come during practice, or just have something kind of worked out in your head.

Sean-Man
02-07-2007, 10:13 PM
none, but maybe one depending on how long u practice

guitar?
02-07-2007, 10:51 PM
none, but maybe one depending on how long u practice
none? just walk in the first day with no songs to work on? you outside your mind :p:

Freunleven
02-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Not really that crazy of an idea, coming in with no songs. Why not just try a simple jam session to kick things off? The drummer plays a beat, the guitars build a chord progression, the bassist lays down the groove, and you just kind of go from there.

The default setup is, of course, 12-bar blues, in whichever key you feel comfortable with.

Playing as a band is more than just "learning songs" - it's about functioning as a whole, more than the sum of your parts. If you can't jam together, and find a groove to fit into, you're probably going to sound like crap for some time. There are exceptions to this, of course, but they're pretty darn rare.

So, my advice is to have a semi-free-form jam, maybe try to come up with something interesting out of that jam, and take it from there. It's worked well for others, myself included, so it might work for you, too.

Just sayin'.

:satan:

METSOAD
02-08-2007, 03:54 AM
up to 3 but no more lyrically and possibly two musical things

GiantRaven
02-08-2007, 01:30 PM
As much as creatively flows from you ;)

:p: