Should I leave my band?

PDA

View Full Version : Should I leave my band?

DigUpHerBones
02-08-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm in two bands at the moment, one which I really like and really enjoy playing in and another that I don't. The bassist in the band I don't like is also the singer in the one I do.

I don't like the band because we've been going for 5 months, and we only have 2 songs we can play very well because I'm the only person who's bothered to write new material and I can't be bothered writing songs for it anymore, as basically I don't feel we play well together. I don't enjoy practicing with the band. We have a gig coming up and I don't really feel like I want to play it. Should I give it a chance, play the gig and see if things get any better, or quit before the gig I don't want to play? Also, 3 of my best mates are in the band, which makes me want to stay in it more.

Help?

Liarsenic12
02-08-2007, 04:47 PM
play the gig. dont be a duesche and quit right when they need you.

Diateo
02-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Our bassist was in the same sorta problem bless her but we had a big gig coming up and i begged her to stay (yes begged!) so she played it, cuz she loves me =p Now she's really enthusiastic and has put more of an effort in because she thinks we're going somewhere (poor deluded child) and we are. So i mean play the gig, see how it goes, cant hurt... right?

Hope that helps in one way or another-- Jack

Masknought
02-08-2007, 04:48 PM
i would stay for the show, but then drop out. really i would think you owe it to them not to drop out while a show is already scheduled, you should have thought about it beforehand, and since you waited so long they deserve not to be screwed over.

frigginjerk
02-08-2007, 06:59 PM
same as above

METSOAD
02-09-2007, 04:04 AM
play the gig then sort out your own shit another day

Meteorshower
02-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, do the gig. An ex-bassist for my band quit a day before a gig and i still hate him for it. and that was almost a year ago

trackmind
02-11-2007, 07:58 PM
I totally agree, play the gig. Even if you don't want to play the gig it's pretty f*ckin' awful quitting the band when you've got gigs scheduled.

Avalanchi
02-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Play the gig... otherwise someone from the other band will be making a thread on here how some douche in their band left a week before their gig.

greendayguitar
02-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Wait for the gig, and play it.

Then talk to your bassist and see if he'd be alright with you leaving the one band, even though he's the singer in the second one. Explain to him why you'd be leaving, and that might motivate him and the others to write some stuff, knowing that that is what you want to do, and that the band might be in jeopardy when you leave.

Basically, if you don't enjoy playing in the band, and you can't fix what you don't like about it, quit. If you can fix it, stay.