For those in original bands...

PDA

View Full Version : For those in original bands...

seanyboy2690
02-08-2007, 09:37 PM
When you play gigs, do you do cover music as well?...I assume you do, but some people in the band I'm in don't want to do cover tunes. I think that if we wanna get some more gigs in, that last longer, and be worth the audiences time, we should do some covers!....what do you think

doctor_rocker
02-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Covers are an excellent thing, even for bands with original material. Covers are things that the crowd connects to better then songs they haven't heard, and it's just fun to play good songs, even if you didn't write them.

hippyguitardude
02-08-2007, 10:12 PM
do covers... so that the people will recognize some stuff, and also be introduced to ur new stuff. Put ur own spin on the covers tho.... like distort un-distorted songs, or change the melody, make it in a minor key... idk... change it so i'ts more interesting

METSOAD
02-09-2007, 04:08 AM
covers can work, just make sure more original's are played

nephi
02-09-2007, 04:10 AM
covers can catch attention.. especially those close minded creeps who wont notice you cause they don't know what song your playing.. just make sure you dont sacrifice your own music..

Sir Edwin CBE
02-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I'd personally do as few covers as possible, if I did one it'd be different from the original with my own spin on it.

frigginjerk
02-09-2007, 12:24 PM
depends where you're playing, and how long you have to play for. ideally, we'd do no covers, but that's not always the case.

bodom0420
02-09-2007, 12:29 PM
We just throw 1 or two in

Gabuydachk
02-09-2007, 05:46 PM
i do covers but its ur choice
the advantage with covers is that u got a known song that people know well they can respond to these
then again some bands may not need to do covers to amplify their performance

Freunleven
02-09-2007, 07:33 PM
One cover to each three original tunes. Hence, in a twelve-song set, there are three covers and nine originals.

:satan:

basketcase23
02-09-2007, 08:41 PM
We usually do 2-3 covers in a set, which for us are usually about 12-16 songs, but we have our own spin on most of them. People know the song, but yet its still you playing the song and not just trying to imitate the original artists.

sjada
02-09-2007, 09:16 PM
im not a fan of covers except maybe if theyre not mainstream songs at all, or theyre really unknown songs by a popular band. i guess its good to do one or two. if you really want to, just suggest that you find one or two songs you all really like and make all the rest originals

tubab0y
02-10-2007, 11:24 AM
dream theater covered the entire dark side of the moon CD. yes, it's okay.

seanyboy2690
02-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Well yeah it also realy depends on the age group of your audience. We (the band) are only around 17 years old, and about 95% of the people we have played in front of so far are people in the 35-45 year range....So they are definately going to want to hear covers. I was thinking Turn the Page by Metallica, something old redone by someone new (ish).

NotAJock2Day
02-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Don't do covers until you've written original material, otherwise when you guys have writers block in practice someone will say "Oh screw it, lets just play ____!!" and that practice ends up being a waste of time. Sure, playing covers helps you connect with the audience, but writing material together helps you connect with your band (which much more important).

coffeeguy9
02-10-2007, 01:58 PM
dream theater covered the entire dark side of the moon CD. yes, it's okay.

Phish did it first :(

Usually covers work for a closer.

WhereArtEsteban
02-10-2007, 03:02 PM
We usually put 1 or 2 in a show. Mostly just one.

Fongie
02-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Just make sure you cover it in your own style. Trying to play a cover exactly as the original just sucks

thesumoftwo
02-11-2007, 12:15 PM
covers are what will keep that audience locked in unless your already famous. i find it works great if for one cover you can make then end of one of your songs flow into that, but it has to be a really lively cover so it gets the audience jumping. like my band made one of our originals flow into highway to hell near perfectly with a slight modification, i think it helps link your song in someone elses mind when they hear that cover on the radio or something, they will think of you :D

ratmblink123
02-11-2007, 04:39 PM
One cover to each three original tunes. Hence, in a twelve-song set, there are three covers and nine originals.

:satan:

Actually it would be 4 covers and 8 originals.
Way to show off your simple addition skills.

Avalanchi
02-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Actually it would be 4 covers and 8 originals.
Way to show off your simple addition skills.

Fraction Skills.

1 over 3 = X over 12

1 Times 12 Divided by 3

But yes the answer is four, but I'd recommend 3 Covers to 9 Originals rather than 4 to 8.

Killer_bacon
02-11-2007, 08:07 PM
covers are almost pure evil...if your in a hardcore band.

the reason i say this is because hardcore/deathmetal has a energy to it that your own music can recrate if you can play catchy/complex riffs and your average crowd won't know what song your covering anyway

however in a rock/punk/emo/mainstream bands i strongly suggest covers because then you are less releying on energy and more on catchy hooks which are eaisly missed

phatsack
02-11-2007, 08:10 PM
When you play gigs, do you do cover music as well?...I assume you do, but some people in the band I'm in don't want to do cover tunes. I think that if we wanna get some more gigs in, that last longer, and be worth the audiences time, we should do some covers!....what do you think

covers are good practice and cool if you play good songs, just make sure to play plenty of originals too.
just make sure that the place you are playing at is licensed to have cover bands

Freunleven
02-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Fraction Skills.

1 over 3 = X over 12

1 Times 12 Divided by 3

But yes the answer is four, but I'd recommend 3 Covers to 9 Originals rather than 4 to 8.
Sorry - that was my inner drummer coming out for a moment. :p:

WhereArtEsteban
02-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Sorry - that was my inner drummer coming out for a moment. :p:
hahahahahahahahaha.

The way to hate
02-12-2007, 10:16 PM
My band has 13 originals, but we do 2 covers because

A. They're easier to play
B. They're crowd pleasers
C. We like the songs.

myvaliantleap
02-13-2007, 10:42 AM
my band made one of our originals flow into highway to hell near perfectly with a slight modification.

Unless you can do something cool like this I don't feel covers work at all. I am in an all original band. I hate the bar scene. I find that most older people don't like the music that my band plays so if we go to a bar both the band and the audience feels alienated. I only think that covers should be done like thesumoftwo said once in a blue moon and that is just something cool to do. Everytime I see a band do a cover at an all ages show I just shudder. People go to those shows to hear the band, not the radio or even their parents' records for that matter. I guess some bands can't stand on their own songs, but if that's the case they don't need to be playing original shows in the first place. I guess my point is that it really depends on the audience you are playing to. For bar aged people then I would say covers are better, but they still aren't going to remember your band, just that you played those songs that they hear on the radio all the time really well. At all ages shows you will probably get laughed at and fucked with the whole night if you do a bunch of covers. That's just my experience. It may be different in other parts of the country, but here in good ole Southern Indiana we love our originals.