3 Guitarists

PDA

View Full Version : 3 Guitarists

Avalanchi
02-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Alright so here's the situation... I'm 15 years old and have a full band, yes a full band where everyone owns and knows how to play an instrument.

Alec-Bass
Toni-Drums
Me (Erik)-Lead Guitar/Singer
Dan-Rhythm Guitar

We recently asked a friend of ours to come play at a practice with us. Turns out he's an incredible lead guitarist and makes the whole thing much organized.

So with this addition it appears as if the line-up will be.

Alec-Bass
Toni-Drums
Me (Erik)-Rhythm Guitar/Singer
Dan-Rhythm Guitar
Keaton-Lead Guitar

So the question is is that line-up plausible? Please don't laugh, I just don't want an overcrowding of guitars.

The_Crowing_IV
02-11-2007, 01:02 AM
I'd say make Dan and Keaton switch of on lead guitar.

noahray
02-11-2007, 01:03 AM
what kind of music? many country bands have 3 guitars, but few rock bands. a lot of heavier bands have parts that two guitars harmonize and one plays rhythm underneath, but usually they only have two guitar players. (one records twice on record, sometimes roadies play on stage)

the_maestro
02-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Radiohead does it.

I think three guitars is great, especially for metal. You can have a harmonizing part and then some rhythm underneath.

ComplistiK
02-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Iron Maiden - one of the best metal bands of all time - has three guitars.

I'd say screw it and give Alec a guitar. NO BASS! FOUR GUITARS!

Jonjy2
02-11-2007, 01:09 AM
HAHA ^^

go for the 3 guitars man...

mat_dombrock
02-11-2007, 01:09 AM
dont know if this is helpfull but:

iron madien
bad religion
lynard skynard
the clash

they all have 3 guitarist.

just be carfull to keep it clean.

good luck with your band.

ChptOfDarkness
02-11-2007, 01:10 AM
yeah stick with that dude. like someone said before, maiden uses 3. murray, smith, and gers are an awesome combination.

elementskater7s
or you could just sing

Avalanchi
Dan and Keaton switching back and forth? I'd say it's worth a try.

As for our genre, were shooting for Rock/Alternative.

I was actually planning to learn Keyboard to add some synth aspect to our music, just to spice some stuff up a little. ^_^

Well for some songs I suppose I could just sing.

(I have to give a Huge Thanks, to the large response given in this thread.)

ECistheBest
02-11-2007, 01:11 AM
u can play skynyrd =]

i(ncubus)play
02-11-2007, 01:13 AM
skynyrdd as they call it the triple guitar attack, right at their peak before the crash they had their triple guitar attack goin

i(ncubus)play
02-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Dan and Keaton switching back and forth? I'd say it's worth a try.

As for our genre, were shooting for Rock/Alternative.

I was actually planning to learn Keyboard to add some synth aspect to our music, just to spice some stuff up a little. ^_^

Well for some songs I suppose I could just sing.

(I have to give a Huge Thanks, to the large response given in this thread.)

or just get a piano and you could play free bird and be the greatest skynyrd tribute ever!

ECistheBest
02-11-2007, 01:15 AM
skynyrdd as they call it the triple guitar attack, right at their peak before the crash they had their triple guitar attack goin

yea man skynyrd is cool
my friends and i were trying to do some collab with three guitars
but its kinda messed up cuz the drummer's being a dick. :p
but ur lucky man
u should take ur chance to get a triple guitar attack going!!!

Zoso68
02-11-2007, 01:16 AM
as a matter of interest to whoever said it before the clash only had to guitarists mick jones and joe strummer and paul simonon on bass...but yea id just have the siner not play and just sing

rockr09
02-11-2007, 01:17 AM
yeah it could be cool, triple harmonizing solos, triple guitar dueling solos, the list goes on.
o and to add to the 3 guitar bands list
Hawthorne Heights, not a good band, but still a band with 3 guitars

The Casualty
02-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Why don't you drop guitars, and take up vox, and keys?

ihavnofingrprnt
02-11-2007, 01:18 AM
i think switchfoot uses three guitars but theyre the only alternative band i know of that uses three or well i think radiohead but i dont think they emphasize the extra guitars,,, i think it might show live though. keep it clean as one more guitar means one more possibilty of overdoing it, mayby you should switch to full keyboard and let them play but id say all you guys play but make it funky

Avalanchi
02-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Why don't you drop guitars, and take up vox, and keys?

Well guitar has been my thing for a while. ^_^, and I don't particularily just want to drop it flat. I'll go over these routes with the other members of the band and see what they think.

Colohue
02-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I would suggest keeping your rhythm guitarist rhythm and you switch to secondary lead. That way you can have duelling solos when you're not singing. You don't want to drown out the lyrics and it means you can have a relaxing period before breaking into heavy metal.

thesumoftwo
02-11-2007, 11:49 AM
just try it out, serious, if you can write songs as a 3 guitar band, then keep it. i know i used to have some great songs with my old band and we were 3 guitars, in your same genre aswell. Just be creative and innovative and write music that means something to you

sjada
02-11-2007, 01:01 PM
you said it made it more organized right? personally, it doesnt usually work out for me but if it sounds better that way than do it

JB2500
02-11-2007, 01:53 PM
it works for Iron Maiden, one of you could strum, some lets single chrods ring and on either palm mute em or pick out notes from a chrod, it'll give your music a deeper thicker sound.

jfbrown42
02-11-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm in a band that only plays out once a year. Our lineup changes slightly from year to year. This year, Colin will be on lead guitar/Vox, Alan on lead guitar/Vox, me on Rhythm guitar, Sandi on Vox, Frederick on Bass/Vox and Terrik 3000 our robo-drummer. :p:

Having three guitars is going to let us do stuff we've never been able to do "right" before like Hotel California by The Eagles (harmonizing leads) or the solo for Are You Going to Be My Girl? from Jet.

We'll also be able to take breaks because some songs only need one or two guitars.

I'd say, go for it!

fretboarddragon
02-13-2007, 08:16 AM
I'd say go for three...it can only thicken you're sound....that is, if that's what you'd like. And give those who want it equal shots at solos so noone feels left out.

daff
02-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I would say go for three guitarist and then when you play cover songs that only have two guitarist in them just sing.

Mattalac
02-13-2007, 07:29 PM
dont know if this is helpfull but:

iron madien
bad religion
lynard skynard
the clash

they all have 3 guitarist.

just be carfull to keep it clean.

good luck with your band.

Exactly, keep it clean. 3 guitarists can just muddle the sound, and it also creates less room on stage. I suggest recording some songs and jam sessions, listening to it, and getting a small audience of like friends or family. See what they think, because it's an entirely different experience when you're behind the guitar.

As Zakk Wylde once said (loosely quoted) : You could play an amazing guitar solo or riff, but until you hear it yourself through headphones you have no idea. (something along those lines).

Basically what sounds good to you when you sit in front of an amp, may sound like a hunk of junk when you sit relaxing in front of your computer.

claptonfan55
02-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Your lineup is plausible, but you may want to have another lead player, either you or the other one. Two rhythm guitars to one lead guitar may drown out some sweet solos. You could use Lynyrd Skynyrd's music as an example, even though you're not playing Southern Rock. Skynyrd had 3 guitarists all playing and they never drowned out whoever happened to be playing lead at the moment.

tbsff_7
02-13-2007, 10:41 PM
or ur could be like pearl jam, sometimes two guitars, sometimes three

and in your case you could throw that keyboard in which would be cool,
you and rhythem could even play some of the same things
or one of you could play acoustic

AboveTheBridge
02-22-2007, 11:09 PM
or ur could be like pearl jam, sometimes two guitars, sometimes three

and in your case you could throw that keyboard in which would be cool,
you and rhythem could even play some of the same things
or one of you could play acoustic

Pretty much what I was going to say. You could simply play songs and bring out the third guitar (You) when needed. Also when writing songs, write from the perspective that you only have two guitarists so that you can add a third guitar part if need be. Also, remember that three guitars can incredibly muddle your sound. I know Iron Maiden proves this isn't true but when starting out three guitars is not a good idea. Also, a lot of Iron Maiden's "good stuff" was written on two guitars (IMO).

Jam on man!

nick83
02-22-2007, 11:18 PM
three guitars would be cool as long as everyone played something different, keys would be cool too

someone said something about 4 guitarists, does anyone know of any bands with 4 guitars where it actually sounds good?

deathmetalboy
02-25-2007, 07:45 PM
i say 2 leads and 1 rythym

Avalanchi
02-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Well the guitarist decided to be a prick and to me he said "Naw I don't think I'm going to be a part of the band." But to the other members he said "No... you guys aren't good enough to play a show."

So basically he begs to be in the band, then he has to "think" about it... then he complains that a band that has been together a whole 2 weeks isn't ready to play a show? The hell with him.

mosesbrown
02-25-2007, 08:01 PM
I think you should drop the compulsion to label what each guitar player will do. Lots of songs can be enriched by three guitars, lots of songs can't. If you are already the singer you don't have to play guitar all the time, it's not like you'll be standing up there doing nothing if you aren't playing guitar. Basically I'd say keep the other guy and rather than worrying about who is what position just try and be as creative as you can with it and always keep in mind that if at the end of the day you step back and what you're doing sounds good, no one' is going to care how many guitar players you have.

Edit: At least your problem is solved.

Bloodshed
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Emery and hawthorne heights have three guitars, as do The Fully Down and Fear Before The March Of Flames