Playing Guitar in Drop D

PDA

View Full Version : Playing Guitar in Drop D

AdamDK
02-11-2007, 11:29 AM
In today’s lesson, we are going to create cool riffs with our guitars in Dropped D. First off, you’re going to need to know how to tune to Drop D.

Tuning to Drop D: Dropped D tuning is one of the easiest tunings to tune to. Drop D is just Open E (Standard Tuning), but with the low E string (Thickest string) tuned to D, instead of E. To do this, we play the D string open, and tune our E string down to the pitch of the D. Once you have got your guitar in Drop D, all the notes on the string move down a step (A Whole tone), so what would be your open E becomes an open D, and first fret becomes D#, etc.

Now that we're tuned we can move onto the next part of the lesson. The basics of power chords in Drop D.

Basics of power chords in Drop D: Power chords in Drop D are very easily to play. Just barre the D, A and D strings at the appropriate fret. For example, here is an A power chord in Standard tuning.

e|---|
B|---|
G|---|
D|-7-|
A|-7-|
E|-5-|

To play this in Drop D, we just barre the D, A and D strings at the seventh fret. So it becomes this:

e|---|
B|---|
G|---|
D|-7-|
A|-7-|
D|-7-|

Simple, isn't it? Now we can move onto the next part of the lesson. The chords in different keys.

Chords in different keys to play riffs: To be able to create riffs, we need to know the basic chords in a key, so we can use them. For example, the chords in the key of C are: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, G7. So if we transcribe them into powerchords, they are: C5, D5, E5, F5, G5, and A5. Now that we know the chords and power chords of C, we are able to use this knowledge to play around with the chords and power chords to create riffs. Using this, we can create basic riffs likes this:

Note: x = Mute

e|----------------------------|
B|----------------------------|
G|----------5-7---------------|
D|10-10-x-x-5-7-12-10---------|
A|10-10-x-x-3-5-12-10---------|
D|10-10-x-x-----12-10---------|

So, it's all fine and well that we know the chords, but if we want to expand the riffs so they are more than just power chords, we need to know the notes. In this case, we will use the notes of C Major, which are: C, D, E, F, G, A, B. Using these notes, we can add different dimensions to riffs to make them sound more interesting, like this riff:

x = Mute
PM = Palm Mute
/ = Slide up

e|-----------------------------|
B|-----------------------------|
G|-----------------------------|
D|10-------------x-5/7-------10|
A|10-------------x-5/7-------10|
D|10-10-10-10-10-x-5/7-0-0-0-10|
. . . .

As you see, using the notes in the key of C Major, I was able to add more to a riff by muting some notes in between power chords to make it heavier (NOTE: The riff isn't supposed to be heavy as in metal sort of heavy).

Mixing techniques in: You can make cool riffs by adding in the use of techniques like vibrato, sweep picking, and bends, etc, to them. This gives the riff an unique aspect to it instead of just palm muting and sliding. For example, this riff mixes Sweep Picking with Palm muting and vibrato and bends to make it sound better.

x = Mute
PM = Palm Mute
\ = Slide Up
/ = Slide Down
~ = Vibrato
b = Bend

Note: 6/4 Timing

e|-----------------------22b~(24)--------------8~-8b(10)---------|
B|---------------------20----------------------8~----------------|
G|-------------------21------------------------------------------|
D|10-10-x-x-7/5\10-22--------------------------------------------|
A|10-10-x-x-7/5\10--------------------------------x--------------|
D|10-10-x-x-7/5\10----------------10-10-10-10-----x------12-10-9-|
PM . . . . . . .

Note: use your thumb to mute the strings above the 8b(10).

So we're coming to the end...
Well folks, we've reached the end of the lesson. I hope I have gave you some ideas to use in your playing when playing in Drop D. To help you out, I am going to list the chords in the keys of A, B, C, D, E, F and G, to give you all a starter on making your own riffs.

Peace out. :cheers:

Chords in Keys:

A: A, Bm, C#m, D, E, F#m , E7
B: B, C#m, D#m, E, F#, G#m, F#7
C: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, G7
D: D, Em, F#m, G, A, Bm, A#7
E: E, F#m, G#m, A, B, C#m, B7
F: F, Gm, Am, Bb, C, Dm, C7
G: G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, D7

Enjoy

robryan
02-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I guess when you say "chords in a key" you mean the major key? XD
Other than that little dig, cool lesson.

ibanez_rocker
02-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Really, if you know how to sweep pick, your going to know about drop d haha

AdamDK
02-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Really, if you know how to sweep pick, your going to know about drop d haha

Hehe lol, I guess you're right, but you never know - there could be someone who doesn't.

I guess when you say "chords in a key" you mean the major key? XD
Other than that little dig, cool lesson.

Yeah, C Major. Tnat's why I use C Major in the lesson.

Anyways,a nybody else got any comments about the lesson?

AdamDK
02-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Bump. Anybody read it and want to comment on it?

metallica1222
02-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Bump. Anybody read it and want to comment on it?
Okey, I read it.But yeah, it was helpful, especially the chords in different keys part.
Thanks! :)

AdamDK
02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Okey, I read it.But yeah, it was helpful, especially the chords in different keys part.
Thanks! :)

No problem. Happy it helped you. :)

Night_Lights
02-26-2007, 06:09 AM
i guess some 6 string drop-d sweeps might be useful, or like some scale diagrams in drop-d tuning.

sTx
03-03-2007, 09:19 AM
A: A, Bm, C#m, D, E, F#m , E7
B: B, C#m, D#m, E, F#, G#m, F#7
C: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, G7
D: D, Em, F#m, G, A, Bm, A#7
E: E, F#m, G#m, A, B, C#m, B7
F: F, Gm, Am, Bb, C, Dm, C7
G: G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, D7

God bless you!

:smoke:

Barbarastreisnd