any tips for making a band?

PDA

View Full Version : any tips for making a band?

wot_apc_sk8
02-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Hey me and my friend are going to make up to 2000 bucks together this summer. We decideded we would invest in drums and i am gonna buy brand new guitar and amp. Now we would like to make a band. We wouldnt have a bass player atm, but we could get one. And either i will sing or someone else will. We think we know where we can practice but were not sure how we should really,,start

Now we both really want to make music so he plays his keyboard and i play guitar, Now its kinda hard to make it sound good. But we did manage to make one good harder song and one softer song. His dad can get us hooked up to some recorder but iam not sure if thers anything we should know.

So yea if you have any tips or things that will help would be cool
ANd would kinda guitar and amp and drums should we get.
Yea anything helps.

zer0monkey
02-13-2007, 12:13 AM
i can't tell you what kinds of stuff to get because that is really about personal preference
if there's a store near you that has instruments, try some things out there and decide on stuff you like
good brand (most people would recommend)
Fender
Gibson
Schecter
BC Rich....yea there are plenty others but it depends on the sound and look you are going for

as for having a band, it takes work
just keep that in mind if you really want to take it somewhere

marchoso
02-13-2007, 01:54 AM
moved to musician talk.

theRedPress
02-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Well, if you play guitar and he plays keyboard, why are you buying a drum kit? Is he going to learn drums? Otherwise it's best to look for a drummer, preferably one who knows how to play the instrument already and has purchased a kit :p

You have a guitar already? Is it broken? What's the deal with buying new equipment when you haven't even formed your first band yet? Try to find some people, form a band, see if you like it ... if you do, save your money and THEN invest in some new equipment. Otherwise you're just wasting a lot of money.

As for good brands of guitars, drums, etc. You need to go out there and test them yourself. Nobody can form opinions for you, that's your job. Go find out what works for you, try them all out.

brandenetc
02-13-2007, 05:06 AM
where you aiming for some sorta genre you guys want to do, or just jam, and make up songs that way into what ever it leads you to?

i sugest, fender tele wit there noisless pick ups, and a orange cab, but thats IMO

zer0monkey
02-13-2007, 03:02 PM
"good brand (most people would recommend)
Fender
Gibson
Schecter
BC Rich"
I have owned a fender (HUGE MISTAKE) i own a gibson now, its not too bad, but it was way too expensive for what i got. i dont know about schecter, probably shouldnt buy it since i have no idea what it is. and bc rich guitars just look horrible, i only know one person who has one, and he regrets buying it.

Out of my 12ish guitars (yes i have a lot of guitars) my best ones were my ibanez, gibson, and jackson. my jackson sounds great, but it was built horribly, i had to take it to the shop like 4 times already. no problems with my gibson, and i had to take my ibanez in once for a minor repair, i could have done it myself. i had no idea what happened.
i would suggest ibanez. its my best sounding guitar, and not to badly priced.
okay, well the fender i JUST had sounded fine to me
and as far as I'm concerned, Gibson's quality has been going downhill recently
yes, BC Rich guitars look stupid...i was just bringing it up
and i have a Schecter right now. don't say something's bad if you don't know what it is. It sounds amazing (which i assume you could attribute to the active EMG's) but either way, there is nothing wrong with schecter

alienboy18241
02-13-2007, 04:15 PM
If your going to get 2000 for a guitar and an amp, dont get a Gibson. I suggest splitting that money on a nice Schecter or Epiphone, and then buying a Peavey or Marshall.

EDIT: And by marshall I mean a nice tube combo...NOT AN MG!

Mattalac
02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Out of my 12ish guitars (yes i have a lot of guitars) my best ones were my ibanez, gibson, and jackson.

WOW YOU HAVE 12 GUITARS OMG YOU HAVE SO MANY, LETS ALL WORSHIP HIM.
THIS GUY MUST HAVE LIEK ALL DA GUITAS IN DA WORLD. OMGOMGOMGOMGOG
Who cares? 12 isn't some amazing number.. unless you were saying you had 120ish guitars. Then that's different. But I doubt it.
--

Look just go try guitars with different amps.
If you buy a Gibson, it's all shit unless you buy a Deluxe, Reissue or Custom.
The new Epiphones are much higher quality than the old, but i'd suggest the same thing, don't by the specials and stuff.

420 FREAK
02-13-2007, 07:40 PM
A jackson guitar will rock

wot_apc_sk8
02-13-2007, 10:36 PM
no he isnt actually going to play keyboard. We just do that to mess around. So hes gonna start playing the drums, and ive had a squire strat for a few years now so i think its about time for me to get a new one.

nightwind
02-14-2007, 11:32 AM
He is going to start learning the drums? Sounds like you guys have a long way to go.

kevinw
02-14-2007, 12:20 PM
I like how most of the crap players have the best equipment and can't do nothing with a guitar, while most of the good player might not have the most expensive gear, and can play decent.

nightwind
02-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I like how most of the crap players have the best equipment and can't do nothing with a guitar, while most of the good player might not have the most expensive gear, and can play decent.

Hmm , I have a good guitar. I must suck.

See how shoddy your logic is now? In the world we live in skill/hard work is not equal to reward, unforunately. So it's illogical to think it's not going to tranfser over to musicians.

Edit: My bad, you said you like this situation.

No more spam please.

kevinw
02-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Hmm , I have a good guitar. I must suck.

See how shoddy your logic is now? In the world we live in skill/hard work is not equal to reward, unforunately. So it's illogical to think it's not going to tranfser over to musicians.

Edit: My bad, you said you like this situation.

No more spam please.

You probably play guitar for a year and expect to make some crazy band and make a huge paycheck. Thats the problem these days, useless kids who don't know anything about guitar come complaining. I can tell you that people who come on these forums like you or whoever, bragging about how their better then everyone else, aren't all they are cracked up to be.

deathmetalboy
02-14-2007, 08:23 PM
for ur guitar id say u should start with something simple like fender. Ive been playing for over a year now and i play dean guitars which are very awesome too. My guitar was 300 a dean dimebag and it is awesome even for beginners. Personally if i could go back in time i would have gotten a guitar with a floyd rose on it because the way the strings on my guitar are put on it is kind of annoying because you cant have the strings closer to the fretboard. so if ur beginning dont spend more than 300 dollars.

Saint_Jimmy657
02-28-2007, 07:33 AM
i have an epiphone. not that you should be using one of those.. if you dont want to..

but seriously though, if you get an ibanez, a gibson or a stratocaster then you're on the right way. or maybe if you get an epiphone, like i did.

Freunleven
02-28-2007, 03:09 PM
I've got a strong preference for Jackson and Schecter guitars, as those are what I currently use. I've also used Ibanez, Fender, Samick and Gibson - but for what I'm doing, my Jackson and Schecter work beautifully.

A lot of finding the "right" guitar is finding the "right" guitar for the type of music you're playing. I wouldn't use my Jackson in a country band, nor in a polka band. The Schecter . . . . well, it might do all right in a country band - I haven't tried it out yet.

Then there's also the matter of amps and effects. Marshall is the "standard" for a lot of mainstream rock, and have been since the 60's. That doesn't make them the be-all and end-all that some folks will make them out to be. Try a Crate half-stack, or just running a Line 6 board straight into the PA mixer. Whatever makes the sounds that you want to make is what is "best."

Go to Guitar Center, pick a guitar that you like and that's in your price range, and shop around on the amps. Mess with different effects pedals. Don't be fooled by a name brand or the salesman's recommendations - they work on commission, after all. Just get what you want to get.

However, having said all that, it is definitely time to move on if all you've got is a Squire strat.

Oh, and don't spend a lot of money just because you can. But what's right for you, not what's right for the salesman's commission check. I can't emphasize that enough. If you can get by with a $300 guitar and a $500 amp, don't spend $650 on the gutiar and $950 on the amp. If you're not happy with the gear, it's going to affect your playing.

:satan:

deathmetalboy
02-28-2007, 07:28 PM
btw where do u guys live? im looking for a band to join im a lead guitarist 2 years experience. allt he people where i live are GAY and LAZY and dont wanna form a band