[GP5]My first song(Metal/Thrash)

PDA

View Full Version : [GP5]My first song(Metal/Thrash)

ferretman
02-14-2007, 03:34 AM
This is the first complete song I have written. Its got a metal feel to it. It was all a bit rushed especially the solo. Tell me what you think. C4C. Thanks
edit-I dont know any thing about drums so I didn't really put them in or bass either

Glenn4009
02-14-2007, 03:46 AM
It's not the worst thing i've ever heard dude, i thought it was ok as a first complete song. I think the solo could be improved if you really put some time into it, but in general i'd give the song a 7/10 so it's not to shabby dude.
Edit- If you want i have some free time off work, im ill with a chest infection, i could add some drums and bass if you want me to?

ferretman
02-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Edit- If you want i have some free time off work, im ill with a chest infection, i could add some drums and bass if you want me to?
Yeah if you could that would be great thanks man.

Glenn4009
02-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Here you go, haven't put the bass in yet, but i figured you could do that one yourself, even if you just used root notes for the bass. But here it is with drums, nothing special just something to maybe give you ideas :).
Peace

ch715dallat
02-14-2007, 09:18 AM
that was good the acoustic intro and interlude i found very classical styled, and tehn just gets into to some fast thrashy riffage, there are a few bars in teh solo that could be fixed, namely the last bar in teh first solo and bar 148 in teh second i think, but overall i really liked the solo, now you just need to get some drums in to add a bit of depth you could ask someone to compose some for you or somethin, i'm alright at doin drums but my piece i didnt really put any efort into them, but my new piece im doin now has some nice drums in if i do say so lol, but i cant do bass for shit. anyhoo enough rambling i liked it, you got skillz (with a cool z, lol)

buckethead_jr
02-14-2007, 10:23 AM
that was actually really good.
The swells of the overdriven guitar sound meh on GP, but played on a guitar they sound great, especially if you add some vibrato.
The acoustic intro: sounds very familiar, it actually sounds like the beginning of 'Canon in D' by Johann Pachebell, same notes, same rhythm etc.
The distortion riff was great but the drums bothered me a bit (no offence Glenn4009:p: )
The riff from bar 30-45 was awesome, the drums fit perfectly and it just sounded like a great riff. But, to be honest it was lacking in the rhythm section, i think you'd need to add bass in there for sure.
The Verse was great. Great riffs, great drums, great groove, nothing wrong with that.
The transition from the verse to the chorus was choppy however, i'd probably add a 'Rallintando' (or 'rally' like it's called in GP) to accomodate for the tempo change in the last bar of the verse.
The Chorus was good, but cliched, it seems to pop up in a couple of songs i've heard. And some of the diads you used in bar 74 were just unsettling.
Love the variations of the intro in the interlude, that was just excellent.
The first solo was great, but didn't really fit in well with the song much.
The second solo though, just awesome. i especially love the quintuplets part.
The outro was also cliched, but did fit in well, but on the lead guitar i felt that you held that last bend a bit too long.

Crit mine please? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524664 :cheers:

Glenn4009
02-14-2007, 10:31 AM
The distortion riff was great but the drums bothered me a bit (no offence Glenn4009:p: )

Lol no offence taken, that part of Drums wasn't mine, that was in there originally, (check out the original version) :)
Peace

ferretman
02-14-2007, 12:06 PM
dude thanks for the drums I reckon they sound good. I know nothing about bass either so I think they need help as well .
edit: i'm alright at coming up with riffs but when the time comes to join the riffs together to create an actual song i'm so bad. I'm alright at creating riffs but when it comes to making songs I suck.

Glenn4009
02-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Anytime, dont mention it:)
Peace

Ryioku
02-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Typing as I listen... the intro sounds too much like Canon in D... as someone has said before me. Now when the distortion comes in, i really really like the next few riffs... very Megadeth-y, if that's not what you were goin for, well its what they remind me of :p:

Your tempo changes work very well... It sounds repetative... that's more than likely because of the lack of drums, bass, and vocals though, so I'll let that pass...

The interlude actually sounds a bit too happy, if you get my meaning, for the riffs that came before it... however i REALLY like the riff at bar 124... its really nice.

The solo... alot of it didnt really make sense to me.... Part I like, parts I dont.

Overall, not bad... i'd give it an 8/10.

:peace:

ferretman
02-16-2007, 02:28 AM
With the intro I just have the first notes of the arps, that start later in the fifth bar, fading in. I didn't realise it sounded like canon until after I put it in, I didn't do it on purpose. I agree about the solos, I find it hard to write flowing solos all my stuff seems kind of disjointed.

saddam
02-16-2007, 06:18 AM
The intro sounds amazing man! The riffs after that are great trash riffs, every one of them, they need drums though, that would add more power... . I don't like the little tempo change (can't say which bar, i'm listening to the midi), it sounds forced in some way. When the intro returns it's cool, but you should make the transition smoother. The solo starts out great, but there were some parts here and there that made no sense at all... (btw don't use vibrato too much in guitar pro, it sounds like shit).
overall, i liked it: 7/10, with drums and a better solo: 8.5/10

crit mine?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526435

grtz

TheDarkestNights
02-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I loved that intro dude. I also love the unexpected transition from that into your first riff, which is wonderfully thrashy.

That tempo change is good, I was typing as that happened, and it made me sit and and listen, so that's always good.

As you would expect, it's a bit dull without vocals. I'm sure with vocals it will be better, but even so, maybe try and make the guitar parts a bit more interesting? You don't want your band to get bored. :p:

When the interlude (and therefore the intro) returned, I think it was a good thing, to change the mood of the song. So well done for bringing that part back.

First solo: Not really a fan, and those double stops rather killed it for me.
Second solo: Loved it, although maybe take out some of the vibratos, and just sustain the notes?

And those bends at the end ... I'm not really a fan.

Crit mine if you have a chance? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527531)

:cheers: