The Shawn Lane Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Shawn Lane Thread

bluespunkmetal
02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi guys, searched for one and didn't find anything, so I decided to start one........

What are your views on the Memphis Monster.....

BTW, is he more of a Legato or Alternate Pickin dude ??

Trascendental Rippage !!!

Godly Moose
02-17-2007, 09:29 PM

He does both while string skipping.

Prophet of Page
02-17-2007, 09:36 PM

Not a fan. His phrasing (I find) gets repetitive and boring after a while, and I hate his tone with a passion.

However, I fully respect his work and his level of technique (even though Holdsworth still pwns his arse sideways).

Godly Moose
02-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Not a fan. His phrasing (I find) gets repetitive and boring after a while, and I hate his tone with a passion.

However, I fully respect his work and his level of technique (even though Holdsworth still pwns his arse sideways).

Really? I find his phrasing one of the things I love about him.

Beckerism
02-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi guys, searched for one and didn't find anything, so I decided to start one........

Trascendental Rippage !!!

He does some crazy patterns ala two picked notes, then pull off, for 3 nps licks. And other weird, but awesome sounding stuff. I think his Instructional video explains some of his picking licks. It's on video.google I believe.

hamacker
02-17-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm not so much a fan of some of his music as his technique. I'm a Gambale man.

Erich yeung
02-18-2007, 03:42 AM
If he plays music then yes.......if he "improvises" blehh, still hell is other people with jonas hellborg, is bloody amazing!

bluespunkmetal
02-18-2007, 04:47 AM
WTF ?? How can you do both legato and alt picking while string picking licks that spand over 10 frets ??

Scorzerci
02-18-2007, 05:36 AM
By being Shawn Lane.

Resiliance
02-18-2007, 06:44 AM

Same.

Stratwizard
02-18-2007, 06:56 AM
I've tried to like this guy. I've listened songs by him and gave him a chance, but his music just makes me want to puke. Everytime he plays fast, it's just a big blur of notes that sound completely out of place (to me at least). Okay, he has a few strong melodies, like in the Gray Pianos Flying, but otherwise... yuk.

bluespunkmetal
02-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Does anyone have the Tritone Fascination album ??

chase09
02-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I find it odd that some of the regulars here are saying they don't care for him that much. I could have sworn that a couple of months ago, Lane was the end-all-be-all in this forum. Then a big Paul Gilbert fetish followed, and Guthrie Govan was next I think.

Anyway, I don't really care for him that much.

Scorzerci
02-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Lane's picking technique was the "end-all-be-all" of this forum a few months ago, but never his music.

Erich yeung
02-18-2007, 01:58 PM
^ no his music too. A bunch of you guys were ranting about how his music is always positive sounding, and how it makes you feel happy, etc etc. Amazing songwriter, shame he died kinda thing. Like i said for me, some good songs, his improv is gross, bu thats what everyones sayin now :p:.

Stratwizard
02-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I find it odd that some of the regulars here are saying they don't care for him that much. I could have sworn that a couple of months ago, Lane was the end-all-be-all in this forum. Then a big Paul Gilbert fetish followed, and Guthrie Govan was next I think.

Anyway, I don't really care for him that much.

I've never said that I like his music or his technique, for that matter.

Resiliance
02-18-2007, 02:19 PM
^ no his music too. A bunch of you guys were ranting about how his music is always positive sounding, and how it makes you feel happy, etc etc. Amazing songwriter, shame he died kinda thing. Like i said for me, some good songs, his improv is gross, bu thats what everyones sayin now :p:.

Not that I can remember... I certainly never attested to liking his music very much.

And of course it's a shame he died, and of course he was a great guitarist, but that doesn't mean I'm saying he was a great songwriter :p:

Godly Moose
02-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Not that I can remember... I certainly never attested to liking his music very much.

And of course it's a shame he died, and of course he was a great guitarist, but that doesn't mean I'm saying he was a great songwriter :p:

:p:

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/9515/lolliesmw5.gif

Resiliance
02-18-2007, 03:05 PM
:p:

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/9515/lolliesmw5.gif

Aye, tends to happen when you leave your pc on only to find you've looped the same track for two hours... The only reason it's not topped more often is I listen to very diverse music, so not enough of one track to push it off of there.

Smartass.

Godly Moose
02-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Aye, tends to happen when you leave your pc on only to find you've looped the same track for two hours... The only reason it's not topped more often is I listen to very diverse music, so not enough of one track to push it off of there.

Smartass.

:haha

torturer6067
02-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Does anyone have the Tritone Fascination album ??

i have it and i like it!

bluespunkmetal
02-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Kind enough to.. yousend it ??

torturer6067
02-19-2007, 04:25 PM
ill send it to you in a few weeks since im curently stealing wireless pm for further info

Godly Moose
02-19-2007, 04:38 PM
ITT; We do a bunch of illegal activities.

Freepower
02-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah, steal from the guys ****ing mother. I'll tell you what, seeing as he had to gig twice a night to support his family, he really wouldn't mind you stealing from what profits would go directly to them after his death.

****ing sickos. I hope you like your ass kicked, because theres going to me and shawn lane double-teaming you the minute we meet in the afterlife.

Anyway, i love the guy, love his music, love his impro fast and slow, love his technique and approach to music and the physical side of playing, love his general lack of aggression and anger in his work, and think that, while overrated, he's certainly my favourite guitarist by a long shot, and for justified reasons.

Seriously, after stalking him for about a year now (i think!) i'm still finding out new stuff that he pwns at. Suit yourselves, holdsy boys, but lane's my no.1.

And for ****s sake, he didn't really ever stretch 10 frets, he had a slightly smaller reach than I do, and i can't stretch 10 frets below the 11th. 8 frets, but generally he had scary ability within that reach that i'll never acheive.

Resiliance
02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah, steal from the guys ****ing mother. I'll tell you what, seeing as he had to gig twice a night to support his family, he really wouldn't mind you stealing from what profits would go directly to them after his death.

****ing sickos. I hope you like your ass kicked, because theres going to me and shawn lane double-teaming you the minute we meet in the afterlife

And me.

And I'm a big mother****er.

torturer6067
02-19-2007, 08:33 PM
so now i have to wait like 100 yeras before i can kick the ass of you two ? ill leave shawn alone since i like his music very much

bluespunkmetal
02-21-2007, 05:16 AM
Did he name "it" trascendental ripping just because it's played on the high fret or is there another reason ??

Mattalac
02-21-2007, 05:18 AM
Buy it you bitch.

Freepower
02-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Did he name "it" trascendental ripping just because it's played on the high fret or is there another reason ??

"it"? He used the term "transcendental technique" as Lizst did - to explain that there was stuff you just can't do if you aren't born to it.

pavan
02-21-2007, 10:11 AM
"it"? He used the term "transcendental technique" as Lizst did - to explain that there was stuff you just can't do if you aren't born to it.

I love you freepower.
edit : In a musical way, of course.

hamacker
02-22-2007, 12:33 AM
The only music you should steal is the music you shouldn't be buying in the first place.

Erich yeung
02-22-2007, 12:57 AM
so now i have to wait like 100 yeras before i can kick the ass of you two ? ill leave shawn alone since i like his music very much

Do you really plan on living that long ? :confused:

Oh and freepower was the one who said that shawn lane's music is optimistic and happy etc etc. I remember now :D

bluespunkmetal
02-22-2007, 07:53 AM
So....... not everyone is given the chance of "transcendence" in guitar playing ???

nOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

Stratwizard
02-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Apparently not, but you can compensate that by writing interesting songs.

bluespunkmetal
03-03-2007, 05:27 AM
So, it's true that talent is really present in one's shredding progress ??

Resiliance
03-03-2007, 07:39 AM

Pah, not if you ask me.

torturer6067
03-03-2007, 10:25 AM

I think Vai once siad in an interview 90% is practice other 10% are talent

bluespunkmetal
03-04-2007, 01:53 AM
I mean, by judging how lots of people view Lane's speed and transcendetal abillity, it's starting to make me doubt that I have talent (which also encouraged to practice harder)....

And all those websites saying that people like Lane only pop up once every now and then.... (as in millenias)......

How about people like Holdsworth, Garsed, and Rusty Cooley ?? Is that talent ??

Resiliance
03-04-2007, 05:34 AM
Again, not if you ask me.

im_hungry
03-04-2007, 07:50 AM
I mean, by judging how lots of people view Lane's speed and transcendetal abillity, it's starting to make me doubt that I have talent (which also encouraged to practice harder)....

And all those websites saying that people like Lane only pop up once every now and then.... (as in millenias)......

How about people like Holdsworth, Garsed, and Rusty Cooley ?? Is that talent ??
Thats practice.

bluespunkmetal
03-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Holdsworth practiced ?? How long??

Resiliance
03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Holdsworth practiced ?? How long??

What makes you think he's stopped?

Freepower
03-04-2007, 05:32 PM
He says he never did more than an hour of practice before heading to the pub or similar, but if you look at his personality (extrememly demanding and self-critical) and his approach to playing over any new chord progression he writes (playing over it every way he can think of)... well, he may not term it practice, but he's doing more work than most of us do when WE "practice".

NevermorePsalm
03-04-2007, 11:26 PM
I made this thread once. Didnt I?

Still one of my favorite players. Not favorite song-writer. Kinda grew past. Still immensely love his stuff though. Especially his stuff with Selvganesh and Hellborg.

bluespunkmetal
03-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I like it when Shawn plays blinding alt picked runs with the octave pedal on........

Back to the Holdsworth thingy..... How can those old fingers still keep up ??