Tunings

PDA

View Full Version : Tunings

Satan Man
02-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Right... this really is starting to piss me off an i need a pro guitar or bass player to help me...

Is CADGBE, drop C tuning??

Cos ive always known drop tunings as a single string tuned down however many steps!!

Can some1 help me an tell me the right aswer?

King ofKumbucha
02-20-2007, 02:27 PM
CGCFAD is drop C

The 6th string down 2 steps and 1-5 down 1 step.

Im no pro but I know that much.

Guitarmeister
02-20-2007, 02:29 PM
CGCFAD is drop C

hes right
its basically drop D, then you tune all the strings down
i think thats a pretty easy way to remember it

Muppet
02-20-2007, 02:29 PM
CGCFAD is drop C

No that's not drop C!

this is drop C: CADGBe

What you wrote is standard C or DETUNED to C.

When you drop tune you down-tune the lowest string. When you detune you down-tune all the strings.

Deliriumbassist
02-20-2007, 02:31 PM
drop C is CGCFAD

a drop tuning is where you set the tuning to a standard tuning (5ths, I think)

in this case, DGCFAD, and then downtune the lowest string by a whole step.

This might be helpful:

E standard: EADGBE Eb standard: Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
Drop D: DADGBE Drop Db: Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

D standard: DGCFAD Db standard: Db Gb B Fb Ab Db
Drop C: CGCFAD Drop B: B Gb B Fb Ab Db

King ofKumbucha
02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
No that's not drop C!

When you drop tune you down-tune the lowest string. When you detune you down-tune all the strings.

umm... no?

Wouldn't standard C be

CFBEGC

everything down 2 full steps.

I mean, I know you're wrong but wouldn't that be C standard.

metallinutter
02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
No that's not drop C!

no mate you're the muppet, its CGCFAD

Deliriumbassist
02-20-2007, 02:37 PM
CGCFAD is NOT C standard. If that was the case, then EBEAC#F# would be E standard. Which it isn't. That's drop E tuning. EADGBE is E standard, so DGCFAD is D standard, CFA#D#GC is C standard.

toddpens8771
02-20-2007, 02:39 PM
CGCFAD is NOT C standard. If that was the case, then ECEADG would be E standard. Which it isn't. That's drop E tuning. EADGBE is E standard, so DGCFAD is D standard, CFBEGC is C standard.

This guys right.

MAKETHEMSUFFER.
02-20-2007, 02:40 PM
wow muppet u sure dont know wat ur talking about. drop c is CGCFAD C standard is C-F-Bb-Eb-G-C

Deliriumbassist
02-20-2007, 02:41 PM
This guys right.

although I got the drop E tuning wrong :p: it's fixed now though

EDIT: AND I wrote C standard wrong.... dammit, I have issues :p:

Bumper
02-20-2007, 03:21 PM
CADGbe is drop C. CGCFAD is drop D a whole step down (also sometimes incorrectly referred to as drop C). The song Neon by John Mayer is in drop C. A lot of bands tune to what they think is drop C but is in reality drop D a whole step down.

King ofKumbucha
02-20-2007, 03:42 PM
CADGbe is drop C. CGCFAD is drop D a whole step down (also sometimes incorrectly referred to as drop C). The song Neon by John Mayer is in drop C. A lot of bands tune to what they think is drop C but is in reality drop D a whole step down.

Looks like you lose:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_c

:D

Deliriumbassist
02-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Dropped C: C-G-C-F-A-D'
This tuning is the same as dropped D, but each string is lowered an additional whole step, or 2 semitones. Technically a "drop C" tuning would be C-A-D-G-B-e. However, the tuning technically known as "Dropped D tuned down 1 whole step" is commonly referred to as "Dropped C" tuning, as very few people drop only the sixth string (although Zakk Wylde has been known to occasionally drop only the sixth string in tuning, along with Matt Bellamy of Muse in their song 'Map Of The Problematique'). This gives the guitar a very low and heavy sound, and usually requires extra-thick strings to maintain tension. This tuning is frequently used by rock bands, such as Godsmack, Thrice, Mudvayne, Bullet for My Valentine and System of a Down, as well as various metalcore bands, such as Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, Perfect Flaw, As I Lay Dying, and It Dies Today, to achieve a lower sound. Tuning a standard, non-baritone guitar any lower than this is difficult. This tuning is also used by Ryan Overton.

Looks like both camps are right

Bumper
02-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Looks like you lose:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_c

:D

No sir, you lose.

Drop C tuning is CADGbe. If you tune a whole step down, then drop C becomes CGCFad. Saying that you are in drop C is only saying that you have dropped the tuning on your low string to C.

Pysmone
02-20-2007, 05:29 PM
I understood tunings until I read this thread. o.O

King ofKumbucha
02-20-2007, 05:36 PM
I understood tunings until I read this thread. o.O

Thats because Bumper is confusing technicalities and semantics with useful knowledge. It comes down to this...If you wanna play a song that is listed as being in Drop C then tune the way that me and countless other UGers would list. If you want to be out of tune and sound badly, then tune the way Bumper said. Hey, at least you'll be tuned to the theoretically correct Drop C. :p:

Bumper
02-20-2007, 05:42 PM
^What if you try to play Neon, by John Mayer? Or maybe some Kevin Hiatt songs? Theres a whole slew of folk artists that use it. Drop C is what it is. Just because some people have mistakenly called drop D a whole step down drop C doesn't mean that they're right. Also, Wiki is not a good way to cite facts. For all I know, you could have written that article, and you're obviously no expert on the subject. If you tune to DGCFad, then CGCFad would be drop C. If you tune to standard though, drop C is CADGbe.

hatebreed219
02-20-2007, 11:04 PM
...Right...I'm still calling CGCF drop C and CFBE C standard whether it's correct or not.

King ofKumbucha
02-20-2007, 11:32 PM
...Right...I'm still calling CGCF drop C and CFBE C standard whether it's correct or not.

Yeah...screw folk music anyway. :peace:

Bumper
02-21-2007, 01:01 AM
^Aw come on.....You gotta love folk music, man!

Satan Man
02-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Well if we go with wot the majority say, CGCFAD bein drop C, wot wud CADGBe be eh?

Bumper
02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
^CADGBe is drop C!!!!! Jesus ****ing Christ, did you not read any of my posts? I can only take so much man.....Now I see why Cas snapped.

indie-bassist
02-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Drop C is standard tuning with the lowest string tuned down to a c. This thread is endlessly confusing

Satan Man
02-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Ye i no CADGBe is drop C Bumper, im just asking the idiots who thinks CGCFAD is drop C, wot CADGBE wud be lol!!

Oh yeah, indie-bassist, this tab is endlessly confuzzling!!

Deliriumbassist
02-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Ye i no CADGBe is drop C Bumper, im just asking the idiots who thinks CGCFAD is drop C, wot CADGBE wud be lol!!

:no: no need to call people idiots, sunshine.

CGCFAD IS ALSO a version of Drop C, albeit a downtuned one.

We only expect your sort of disrespect from guitarists.

ARCtrooper225
02-22-2007, 01:45 PM
drop C is CGCFAD

a drop tuning is where you set the tuning to a standard tuning (5ths, I think)

in this case, DGCFAD, and then downtune the lowest string by a whole step.

This might be helpful:

E standard: EADGBE Eb standard: Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
Drop D: DADGBE Drop Db: Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

D standard: DGCFAD Db standard: Db Gb B Fb Ab Db
Drop C: CGCFAD Drop B: B Gb B Fb Ab Db
Fb?? :p:

King ofKumbucha
02-22-2007, 01:52 PM

Go fuck yourself then?

I was trying to help, you ingrate.

Deliriumbassist
02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Fb?? :p:

don't judge me, I was tired :p:

eckmann88
02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
...why's this in the bass forum?

ARCtrooper225
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
...why's this in the bass forum?