How Do I Get Rid of Excess String Noise?

PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get Rid of Excess String Noise?

bizzspun
03-03-2007, 10:25 PM
So, I've started using a metronome, and when I lift my fingers from the frets on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd strings to move to the next string, the open string note rings out. How can I prevent that from happening? Also, I've started trying to better develop my finger-tapping. How would I prevent the strings around the string I'm tapping to ring out. I've been playing for a while, but with bad technique, and all I'm trying to do now, in order to better my technique, is get rid of all this extra noise! Any help is appreciated!!!

jj1565
03-03-2007, 10:27 PM
you can mute the strings with ur strumming palm.

Ball of Justice
03-04-2007, 05:45 AM
^ what he said. I practice with a ton of distortion so it realy brings out the flaws so I cna focus on correting them. try to let your plam very gently glide over the stings you arn't playing, don't press down that hard because if you're strumming fast it'll cause even more noise

Jimmy94
03-04-2007, 12:34 PM
or you could always play a guitar with emg's to hide your mistakes, suck away your dynamics and destroy the character of your playing. Lots of people do that.

rhcp_freak
03-04-2007, 12:53 PM
or mute the strings with your fretting index finger like lots of funk guitarists, unless your shredding.

David_VI
03-04-2007, 02:06 PM
or you could always play a guitar with emg's to hide your mistakes, suck away your dynamics and destroy the character of your playing. Lots of people do that.

!?!?!
What the hell!?

hamish5178
03-04-2007, 02:07 PM
^ what he said. I practice with a ton of distortion so it realy brings out the flaws so I cna focus on correting them. try to let your plam very gently glide over the stings you arn't playing, don't press down that hard because if you're strumming fast it'll cause even more noise

It's a she ;)

Ball of Justice
03-04-2007, 02:32 PM
It's a she ;)

obviously I don't pay much attention to people's info :P

vivalasoad883
03-04-2007, 02:40 PM
practice slow and carefully, muting works good, just practice, if you pay attention to your mistakes, you will soon solve them