Trying to find bandmates... Need Advice

PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find bandmates... Need Advice

Ryioku
03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Ok... so, The problem here is, Small town, few musicians, conflicting musical interests.

Longer story... I live in a town with less than 500 people near my age, only about 20 or so(that i know of) play instruments. And those few who do are either into Grunge, Classic Rock, or Classic Thrash Metal.

Now me, being a HUGE Melodic Death Metal buff... I seem to be in a predicament. My best friend is probably the only bassist in my entire school who is into the same kind of music, and he's only been playing a few months.

It seems everyone I talk to around here about metal immediately says "I'm not really into that screaming death metal ****, it's just noise"... meaning people are SEVERELY stereotyping metal in general.

It might be my area, and I could have better luck finding band mates once I move out... which will be soon, as I'm 18 and about to graduate high school.

To the point... how exactly Could I find people to form a band with? Like, a way of getting everyone to see that I'm looking for musicians.

And another thing that's been bothering me, exactly how do bands get together and make a song? Like, do they all get together and play things till it sounds right? or normally does one or 2 people make a song on their own, introduce it ot the band, and they refine it from there. I'd think the second one would work best... but, I dunno, I've never made a song with anyone else, just myself.

So... yeah, If this seems like a really unorganized post, then... i'm sorry haha, I've not really been proofreading it, I've just been goin.

OH! And in case you live in the Richmond, VA (Mechanicsville, is where I live) area, And youre into bands like Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Insomnium, At The Gates, Trivium, Megadeth, Stratovarius, Nevermore, Dragonforce, and Opeth... PM me, and we can... talk.... yes..... haha, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for reading :cheers:

n0selfesteem
03-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Well, I have the same problem as you, except that I want to play quasi-jazz/ska/musical nonsense. I settled for Garageband on my Mac. I picked up bass, I'm using a drum machine, and I'm going to start learning saxophone soon. That's pretty much the only way to go in your situation: become a one-man-band. Sorry.

The good news is that eventually you will find people to play with.

EDIT: you could always attempt to educate people, too. I found a few instrumental kids that kinda liked music sort of similar to music I liked, and just showered them with music until they wouldn't mind playing it.

Conversely, you could play by their rules; being in a band of any kind is worth it, even if the music you're playing isn't exactly death metal.

sfsknight07
03-08-2007, 10:50 PM
hm. thats alot of questions/work to do there. first off, obviously you need a band. which you say is a problem. one way to look is go to a local music shop and post flyers saying "drummer needed" or whatever. print them. dont handwrite them. looks more professional when done on a computer.

now for your writing problem. in reality, its all personal preferance. im in 2 bands. for one, me and my other guitarist write songs together (we practically live together and play guitar the whole time) then bring those songs to practice and let the others do what they need. with the other band, we write songs when we meet up. so in reality, its all up to you, and your bandmates. i would RECOMMEND writing before practice. but whatever floats your boat.

screamsoftly
03-08-2007, 10:55 PM
I didnt even realize there was a bandleading forum until I read this...

And I would say, dont work too hard on finding bandmates into the same music as you now, if you're leaving anyway. Work on playing with your friend who has the bass, and try playing with some of the other people in your town.

Even if you aren't playing 'Melodic Death Metal', it would be good to just play with people, practice, and maybe broaden your horizons a bit.

EDIT: Also, a band makes songs however they feel like making songs. All the ways you listed are viable options. You may want to find some flexible people who are willing to play what you want, and come up with songs and bring them to them. If you are that controlling, you may just want to sit and jam for awhile until something comes out. It's really a matter of what works for you.

And also, that has got to be the single funniest town name I have ever heard in my life. Just think, if you become famous you can tell people you came from f***ing Mechanicsville, Virginia.

Ryioku
03-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Eh I don't have a problem if I'm not Playing "Melodic Death Metal"... It's just I dont like playing grunge... or Led Zeppelin kinda stuff. Which is what most everyone around here plays.

triviumjunkie
03-08-2007, 10:57 PM
normally the way i do
it is i play a riff or somone plays beat, bass line ect.
try to make it all blend together and when its all complete and shit
thats when EVERYONE contributes to lyrics and you' ve got a classic
its what mettalica does and it seems to work :cool:

Ryioku
03-09-2007, 12:40 AM
And also, that has got to be the single funniest town name I have ever heard in my life. Just think, if you become famous you can tell people you came from f***ing Mechanicsville, Virginia.

On that note, I will make the statement that Jason Mraz went to my high school, and visited it last year... :p:

mw7
03-09-2007, 11:40 PM
convert the thrash dudes to death metal. I used to hate death metal but since my friend introduced me to some bands, i love it now.

BrianApocalypse
03-10-2007, 01:57 AM
Comprimise.

I had to for my band, and i was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out.

If you want to suceed at anything, you have to comprimise, unless you're mega awesome, or already famous.

Dutch_Apples
03-10-2007, 03:03 AM
I was in the same boat as you. My hometown only has 2,800 people in it. My high school was about 300. 12 of those played instruments. At the time, most of them were into bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Coal Camber, etc while I was into 80's metal and prog rock (this has drastically changed since then.) What I would recommend is to join a band even if they are COMPLETELY not your style. Here's what it comes down to:

Do you want to stay home and play by yourself or get some band experience and actually gig?

I choose the stay home one, but there was more to that besides the style. The "musicians" at my school were pretty unreliable and weren't very good. Now, I'll join any band that hires me and is willing to pay me what I expect. When you apply for better bands, they will prefer previous live experience.

Ibanezax372
03-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Well to find musicians you can use craigslist.org, thats how I found the drummer in my band.

Responding to the creating a song part......My band what usually happens is someone has an idea or something and we just build off of it, whether it be a small lead guitar part or a chord progression or some lyrics. It seems to work quite well.

esjay_23
11-04-2009, 06:35 AM
I have the same problem...
I am a former drummer of a band... I'm 15 yrs. old live in Philippines...
Can anyone give me advise how to invite bandmates and form
a band??? Pls help me...

AlanHB
11-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Mate this thread is two years old. The TS has probably all grown up now.

You were in a band before, you can do it again. The Philipines is full of musicians, it's in your culture. I was in Palawan 2 months ago and had a jam there with some local musos after a couple of days.

PS. Should I just close these thread necros Chris?

sergiu
11-04-2009, 07:22 AM
I like classic rock/old school metal. A while ago, I found a drummer who loved Green Day. I found another guitar player who was into alternative, and a bass player that... I'm not even sure what he liked.

We ended up playing some experimental bluesy/jazzy/psychedelic stuff that we all liked. Not sure how that happened.

GrisKy
11-04-2009, 07:44 AM
On that note, I will make the statement that Jason Mraz went to my high school, and visited it last year... :p:

did he remind you to just be what you've been trying to be lately? :haha: :haha:

seriously though, a lot of people have a big problem with labeling, especially here on UG...

labeling can be great to help make sales once you're established, but in your early days it will do nothing but handcuff you.

try going around saying you want to start a "rock" band... then play wtf ever you want to, a singer will define your sound more than any other element... you might be able to pull the wool over some potential bandmates' eyes long enough for them to figure out "hey, this ain't so bad."

yup, it's a lie... atleast partly. i mean, metal kinda' falls under the rock umbrella, right? eh, **** it, who cares if it's a lie, all the cool kids are doing it. good luck.

PJ=Metal
11-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Whats wrong with classic thrash metal and grunge(unless its nirvana They are terrible im a huge and i mean that in literal terms as well hater of MOST death metal and only one of the bands that you listed i liked. MEGADETH!!!
also sorry if i sound like a hater (sort of)

GrisKy
11-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Whats wrong with classic thrash metal and grunge(unless its nirvana They are terrible im a huge and i mean that in literal terms as well hater of MOST death metal and only one of the bands that you listed i liked. MEGADETH!!!
also sorry if i sound like a hater (sort of)

huh?