Alt & Indie AOTW: Do make Say Think - You, Youre in a Histroy Rut

PDA

View Full Version : Alt & Indie AOTW: Do make Say Think - You, Youre in a Histroy Rut

pumpkins_rule
03-14-2007, 08:34 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/CST045.jpg

Tracklisting:

1. "Bound to Be That Way" - 7:36
2. "A With Living" - 9:08
3. "The Universe!" - 5:03
4. "A Tender History in Rust" - 5:07
5. "Herstory of Glory" - 5:18
6. "You, You're Awesome" - 3:36
7. "Executioner Blues" - 8:38
8. "In Mind" - 4:00

Ok I'm going to keep this short. Do Make Say Think are a Canadian post-rock band from Toronto Ontario. You, You're in a Histroy Rut is their fifth album to date. It combines several different styles of guitar, from jazz to noise to folk. As well, this is the first album from the band to utilize vocals, although no one in the band does the actual singing. I haven't actually heard any other albums so I can't compare it to their past work, but it really is a good effort and anyone doubting the lack of instrumental prowess in today's music should check it out.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=43842679

Listen to:

The Universe!, an all-out rocker in the vein of Greet Death by Explosions in the Sky with an epic as shit climax. A With Living is also really good.

And I also forgot to mention they share a few members with Broken Social Scene.

i_strum_i_drum
03-14-2007, 08:37 PM
I may have to check this album out. I only have a couple songs from Wing Ding and Goodbye Enemy Starship. "The Landlord Is Dead" is such a fantastic track.

starsnostars
03-14-2007, 11:14 PM
i've been spinning nothing but this album for the last two months. not as good as some of their older stuff, but still amazing. i hate that broken social scene got big, because do make say think are now that one band.

as for explosions in the sky references: do make say think are the band that explosions in the sky wish they could be.

uhh_me?
03-14-2007, 11:19 PM
starsnostars you really hate explosions in the sky don't you?

but this album sounds good, i may have to check it out sometime...hopefully when i get a paycheck

edit!: so i had no idea that i could edit after something is moved to the best threads place...anyway i picked it up today and i am only 2 tracks in but i already know this album is something special

starsnostars
03-14-2007, 11:24 PM
starsnostars you really hate explosions in the sky don't you?

with all my heart. a friend is making me see them at the end of the month. i'm going to take a book or something so i don't fall asleep.

but back to do make say think- this is their first album with vocals, and akron/family provides much of them

uhh_me?
03-15-2007, 12:16 AM
ooooh akron/family, i like i like

DorkusMalorkus
03-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Hey cool, thanks for doing this Pumpkins_Rule.

One of my friends said he'd burn this album for me because I gave him a dollar. I hope he follows through.

dougiecrystals
03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
as for explosions in the sky references: do make say think are the band that explosions in the sky wish they could be.

No way dude.

See, it was a lot of this talk on here that kept me away from the band for a long time.

When I checked out The Earth is etc etc from the library, and started to listen, I had the mind frame, "This band is terrible, this band is boring".

That was not the case. Even with a terrible outlook going in, I still couldn't deny the greatness of their music.

The Earth is Not etc, isn't even their best album.
It's all about "Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, etc etc".
Epic. No this time like seriously.

ANYWAY, about Do Make Say Think.

It seems every one is making an excuse for the band. Like I download an album, find that it's...boring, and someone will say "oh that was them in the early days, that's not them anymore". And then I get a recent album, and even still, boring, and I hear "oh that was their off album".

I actually really wish I could get in to this band. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could drive up to Austin today and watch them for free at SXSW.
Actually I think they play tomorrow.

None the less, I've heard great talk about this album.
Good post.
I'm gonna check it out.

Shine On...
03-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Really solid album, its just really good stuff.

Prolly one of my favorite jazz/psyche bands out there (even though there is like no others, I just don't think they fit 'totally' under the post-rock umbrella.)

starsnostars
03-15-2007, 11:08 PM
they're an instrumental band and on the constellation label, so they get called post rock. it's a problem really.

Shine On...
03-16-2007, 01:17 PM
they're an instrumental band and on the constellation label, so they get called post rock. it's a problem really.

Shall we take up arms and destroy that 'post-rock' label on them? :confused:

starsnostars
03-18-2007, 06:34 PM
No way dude.

See, it was a lot of this talk on here that kept me away from the band for a long time.

When I checked out The Earth is etc etc from the library, and started to listen, I had the mind frame, "This band is terrible, this band is boring".

That was not the case. Even with a terrible outlook going in, I still couldn't deny the greatness of their music.

The Earth is Not etc, isn't even their best album.
It's all about "Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, etc etc".
Epic. No this time like seriously.

i first heard explosions in the sky when those who tell the truth came out. i admit somewhat liking it (mainly greet death) and maybe even turning some people onto them, but as time went on and earth is not came out, they just seemed to repeat themselves. i can't tell a difference from the last three albums. i might give them more credit if they mixed things up a bit, but they've had the same formula for every song from the earth is on. i understand some people like that, but it bores me to tears. they beat the already played out post rock genre to death.

those who tell the truth is their best album, except itís only average at best.
and when it comes to epic, i can think of a hundred bands that do it better than explosions in the sky.

that's my beef with explosions in the sky

system
03-21-2007, 12:07 AM
this is a do make say think thread, btw.

with that said, this album is good, i haven't had time to listen to it more than once though, so i still think winter hymn, country hymn, secret hymn is better.

nopop
03-28-2007, 12:10 AM
like their new album than EITS!

slinks
03-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Finally picked up this album today. So far I've only gotten through the first three tracks but they're incredibly good.

DorkusMalorkus
04-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Haven't listened to this album, unfortunately. But for those of you that are interested I am writing a new AOTM in the next few days. I will be writing it in San Francisco (7 hour car ride both ways). So sit tight.

tezhall
04-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Nice. Another band playing in Zurich, these guys are there in mid-May, also on my must-go-see list :D

sponj
04-02-2007, 04:24 PM
are you living in zurich tez?

tezhall
04-02-2007, 04:35 PM
I will be in Zug from 1st May - consider me officially European :p:

sponj
04-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Erasmus program or something like that?

and yes, we all know England isn't proper Europe!

tezhall
04-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Nope, my boss is closing the office in the UK, and relocating it to Switzerland. And he offered to pay for me a flat out there if I went out too. So I snapped his hand off and said "yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes"

Hahaha :D

sponj
04-02-2007, 06:35 PM
wow, that's awesome.. you're a lucky guy

tezhall
04-03-2007, 04:36 AM
Too right :cool:

Unseen_hero
04-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm glad to see that some agrees that "Those who tell the truth" is explosions best album. No one seems to agree with me on that.

I saw both of them live about a month ago. Going in, I was more excited for explosions but by the end of do make say think, I was floored. They put on such a good show. They seem to connect more with the crowd where exposions are kinda cold.