Floyd Rose Tremolo with a Les Paul?

PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Rose Tremolo with a Les Paul?

DimebagJosho
03-17-2007, 04:07 PM
kk i dont know much bout floyd roses apart from theyv got a beastly sound, iv seen em on les paul studios, but is it possible to fit one in a les paul custom.. to most people its probably a stupid question, and if it is how much would it cost to get one fitted in.. cheers :D.. oh ye and im new so cool lol..

CvPrEpKiLLaH
03-17-2007, 04:11 PM
umm the easiest way to get a double locking tremolo on a les paul is using one of the bigsby bridges

Kingyem0c0re
03-17-2007, 04:13 PM
It involves a HELL of a lot of routing on a les paul.
The main problem behind it is cause of the height the the bridge sits at on an LP.
Alot of luthiers I took my Les Paul refused to do it cause it's a great deal of work.

Although if you manage to find an actual Les Paul Floyd Rose, you could fit it yourself without any routing, but they're VERY rare to come across.

rixills
03-17-2007, 04:51 PM
my guitar teacher said when he was a kid and van halen came out, he did that to his les paul. he said he regretted it very much, it wont sound like a les paul any more.

tubab0y
03-17-2007, 05:00 PM
this is what kahler hybrids are for.

thoraxe
03-17-2007, 05:04 PM
As much as I hate kahlers,I have to agree with tubab0y

bassburton
03-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Don't ruin a perfectly good guitar. It will not only ever sound like a Les Paul but it never look the same either. Save up for a guitar with a floyd. LP+FR=MAssive Heap of shit

Generalpwnt
03-17-2007, 10:23 PM
The thought that a LP with a Floyd Rose is crap is very opionated. If the man wants a Floyd, then let him have a Floyd.

Skar
03-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Don't ruin a perfectly good guitar. It will not only ever sound like a Les Paul but it never look the same either. Save up for a guitar with a floyd. LP+FR=MAssive Heap of shit

How would a Floyd Rose ruin a Les Paul?

I was thinking about the same thing, threadstarter, and I'm planning on getting on of those Kahler hybrids. At first I thought about getting a Stetsbar, but I heard tuning stability wasn't too good on that, so I'm going with the Kahler now.

Musicman48858
03-18-2007, 12:29 AM
There are a few guys that play LP's with a floyd.... the one that comes to mind is Neal Schon from Journey.... he's always done it. The problem is that the block isn't long enough to get through the body.

However, I know you can find aftermarket blocks for an OFR that are longer than the stock, just for les pauls... check google or ebay.

mrperson
03-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Please don't say your talking about a gibson? cos if u are u r crazy! just buy a guitar with a floyd tis less risky and u can mod it. is what i did with my samick.

Ferdinandstrat
03-18-2007, 08:15 AM
I actually did it with mine,but it wasnt a Gibson,it was a copy.

Punk_Ninja
03-18-2007, 08:42 AM
EPI LP custom + Kahler Hybrid, or if you are talking about gibson make sure its either Gibson les paul custom +bigsby or just the LP on its own and a guitar with a tremolo.

Also threadstarter, your favourite guitarists are Dimebag, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett and Zakk Wylde, I'm right. And you tink that Floyd roses is br00tal cos dime uses one and LP customs cos Wylde uses one.

You my good sir are not going to think like this for too much longer I hope.

DimebagJosho
03-18-2007, 08:55 AM
EPI LP custom + Kahler Hybrid, or if you are talking about gibson make sure its either Gibson les paul custom +bigsby or just the LP on its own and a guitar with a tremolo.

Also threadstarter, your favourite guitarists are Dimebag, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett and Zakk Wylde, I'm right. And you tink that Floyd roses is br00tal cos dime uses one and LP customs cos Wylde uses one.

You my good sir are not going to think like this for too much longer I hope.

Dimebag and Zakk Wylde ye theyr probably my favourite atm, James and Kirk Hammett nah lol. And no its not cuz Dime uses a Floyd Rose, they sound beastly anyways. And well iv been a fan of Les Pauls since i first layed eyes on em.

Yngwi3
03-18-2007, 09:26 AM
just buy a bigsby....

Punk_Ninja
03-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Dude, it's not the Floyd Rose that sounds good, its the pickups, amps guitar wood, the floyd rose doesnt help any tone at all its just there to use as a trem.

Get a guitar with a tremolo liek an Ibanez or a Jackson, and get the les Paul for use without a trem if you can afford.

azn_guitarist25
03-18-2007, 09:35 AM
easy way is to buy an ESP Eclipse FR http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4742.htm

zep1975
03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
just get http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-with-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo?sku=519398 and you dont have to worry about it

amorebelladonna
03-18-2007, 12:30 PM
on a les paul since the top is carved you will have to rout out a lot of shit, as well as the fact that with a tune-o-matic bridge, which most les pauls have, the necks has a 93 degree angle, or an 87 depending but, if you put a floyd rose on you would have to do a little bit to the neck pocket if you want it to stay in tune. I would highly advise against it, seeing as a guitar is a horrible thing to **** up. But, if you really want to do it, then really do some research, dont do something based on advice from an internet forum, ask someone at a music shop, or someone who has been playing guitar for a long time they may know.

TwoString
03-18-2007, 12:49 PM
You wouldn't have to do anything to the neck pocket, but in order to get the proper balance and string height, you'd have to have the tremolo mounted practically above the surface of the top. The arched top means nothing in this matter, because you'd have to end up routing a recess to properly mount the tremolo anyway (strat-style surface mount is impossible on a les paul arched top...look at the recess on the Ibanez S models for reference). There have been a few guys on this forum that have installed floyd trems on their pauls, use the search button and you'll find a couple of tutorials.

Also, a Bigsby, Stetsbar, or whatever other insane suggestions offer nothing in comparison to a floyd. To correct CvPrEpKiLLaH, the Bigsby is not a locking tremolo.

The best bet for the TS...

1. Buy the Epiphone limited edition les paul with the floyd already installed (sadly, I believe this guitar had a flat top)

2. Look into other Les Paul style guitars from other makers. I believe that Fernandes made a Ravelle model line that had Floyds in them at some point. Also, the ESP models that were already suggested.

3. Buy parts from a company like Warmoth that are customized to have the parts that you want. Yes, this guitar won't be a set neck, but with what you want, you probably should accept that you're going to have to make compromises.

4. Save up enough money to have a luthier design and build a Les Paul with a Floyd Rose.

Kevin97220
03-18-2007, 02:12 PM
just get http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-with-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo?sku=519398 and you dont have to worry about it

This is your best bet right here^

ISM
03-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Thats a groovy LP; not as cool as the Kirk Hammett limited ed model with the tremelo; but alot more affordable.

MVL.

woodenbandman
03-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Stetsbar or searchbar, whichever. That will solve your problem.

SGFish
12-02-2009, 12:30 PM
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1892.html

What About This

Punk_Ninja
12-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Umm...2 year bump?

I also realise I was a complete C*** in 2007. :p: