How to change chords faster?

PDA

View Full Version : How to change chords faster?

alrange
03-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Changing chords is the only problem i have with the guitar.any tips on how to change faster?thanks.

Metal_Militia2
03-18-2007, 01:15 AM
practice

sfsknight07
03-18-2007, 01:16 AM
practice practice practice. theres no fast way to change. just find out the finger placements, and practice switching over and over. eventually you will have it perfected and be like BLAM!!!!

Broken-pick
03-18-2007, 01:18 AM
P-R-A-C-T-I-S-E

No magic way.

deluxity
03-18-2007, 01:40 AM
sorry, but..practice

try this, make a chord progression (something like C, D,F,C) do it a lot, until it turns natural and easy, then try with other chrod progressions

yawn
03-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Practice :)

alrange
03-18-2007, 05:27 AM
thanks

Metal_Militia2
03-18-2007, 02:39 PM
P-R-A-C-T-I-S-E

No magic way.
haha you spelled practice wrong

guitar_rules311
03-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Practice slowly at first when you can change the chords without making a mistake speed ite up a bit and do the same.

AXmichigan
03-18-2007, 05:07 PM
haha
i thought they were all redundant when they said practice

im like
thanks...

but yea
totally agree
practice
i started with G to Eminor
just to get a vibe how to start changing

now others are just as easy

"PRACTISE"!

wocket
03-18-2007, 05:20 PM
If you're basically concerened with major and minor chords, I'd reccomend looking at the basic shapes. You only need to learn about 5-6 basic shapes to be able to play any barred major or minor chord.

Basic barred major shapes shapes:

(the line of Xs represents where you lay your index finger across the fretboard, x are the other finger placements, -- is an empty fret)

e-l --X--------
B-l --Xx------
G-l --X-------
D-l --X--x----
A-l --X----x--
E-l -(X)-------

e-l --X--------
B-l --X--------
G-l --Xx------
D-l --X--x----
A-l --X--x----
E-l -(X)--------

e-l --X--------
B-l --X---x----
G-l --X---x----
D-l --X---x----
A-l --X--------
E-l -(X)-------

Minor shapes:

e-l --X-------
B-l --Xx------
G-l --X--x----
D-l --X--x----
A-l --X-------
E-l --X-------

e-l --X--------
B-l --X--------
G-l --X--------
D-l --X--x----
A-l --X--x----
E-l --X--------

Just get comfortable with these shapes, and switching from one shape to another. You can move this shapes anywhere on the fretboard and cover any major or minor chord you need. If you need a 6th, 9th, 4th, m7th.. whatever, you can usual form them with a minor alteration of the shapes.

This is how I chord, anyway. It makes things easy and quick for me. Take it or leave it, but this is the system I found that works.

damienguitar
03-19-2007, 05:40 AM
it is important to know "what" to practise.
its is important to experiment with these things :

1: your posture , if you play sitting down try using a classical guitar footstool .
all the muscle in your left hand/arm need to be relaxed and good posture is esentila for this .

2:experiment with fingering , sometimes fingering the same chord different ways will help you change to the next chord more in a more easy fashion.

3: balance the speed of your left and right hand , your right hand might be strumming faster than you left hand can keep up with , it is important that you synchronise both hands , when they work in time with each other the speed will come .

please let me know if this was of help to you !

Cyberbob
03-19-2007, 12:09 PM
As well as a lot of practice, understand your fingering positions and learn, when changing chords, to change your fingers intelligently, as many chord fingerings can lead to others quite simply.

Raydey
03-19-2007, 06:11 PM
haha you spelled practice wrong

Actually, no he didn't. There are two forms of the word. Strictly speaking "practise" is a verb and "practice" is a noun, and so either would be sufficient in this context.

And to the threadstarter, yeah there's no magic way, you just got to practise. And during your practice ( :p: ), try rotating your hand around.

For example, when playing an E minor chord to a C major keep your second finger fretted and rotate the wrist so your first and third finger go to the right frets, all the while keeping the second finger fretted. That seems confusing in text lol but it's not, that will probably help you in transitioning from chord to chord.

wocket
03-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Actually, no he didn't. There are two forms of the word. Strictly speaking "practise" is a verb and "practice" is a noun, and so either would be sufficient in this context.

To be specific, "practice" is both a noun and verb in US English. You can practice riffs. If you're a doctor of some sort, you have a practice.

In UK English, "practise" is the verb. You practise shredding. The spelling "practise" is also recognis(z)ed in the US as well, although "practice" is predominant.

But whether in the UK or US, the noun, like the afore mentioned case of being a doctor, is always spelled with a "c".

....The more you know.