Oiled Neck Finish - What OIL?

PDA

View Full Version : Oiled Neck Finish - What OIL?

Immortal_Hero
03-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I like Strats with the oiled necks and I am getting ready to restore a MIM Strat what kind of oil do I use on the neck?

XibanezedgeX
03-19-2007, 01:05 PM
i know with Carvin when customizing you can choose tung oil finish for the neck
idk much about this subject though sorry can't help you more

tubab0y
03-19-2007, 02:49 PM
i always use tung. it also happens to give it that nice vintage look.

FacingUsAll
03-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Tung oil makes the neck very slick and can add a vintageish tint to the neck if you want.

Immortal_Hero
03-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I am looking for the slickness that comes on a Strat. I am assuming Lowes/Home Depot sells this in the US?

pyromaniac7234
03-19-2007, 03:51 PM
You would be correct.

Immortal_Hero
03-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys! I am redoing a Strat neck should I sand/strip off the old oil, I am assuming I can just give it a new coat.

pyromaniac7234
03-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Once again, you would be correct. Just make sure to give the oil plenty of time to dry (fully), usually about 2 weeks or so, before you start playing on it.

woodenbandman
03-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Tung. I'd go light to get that smooth feel like on a Jackson/Ibanez. that said I love strat necks.

walker-rose
03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
i just finished a neck with gunstock finish(I assume this is the same as Tung) and its really nice.

sawhorse
03-20-2007, 09:11 AM
I was thinking of using tung oil to finish a maple neck that I have. It also has a maple fretboard. Do you apply the oil over the frets, too? Or do you mask off the frets?

Immortal_Hero
03-20-2007, 09:56 AM
That would be a personal prefrence, I plan to mask off my fret board and not finish it, just some lemon oil or the like. I am just doing the maple neck on a Start with a rosewood fret board.

pyromaniac7234
03-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Stew Mac sells a fretboard finish that you apply to ROSEWOOD AND EBONY FRETBOARDS ONLY! And you just finish the maple back with tung oil.

I don't know what you use to finish maple fretboards though, sorry.

Will_Minus
03-20-2007, 04:10 PM
When I tung oiled my maple neck with maple fretboard, I just sanded the finish off the back and tung oiled that, I left the fretboard alone.

I'd recommend leaving the fretboard as is.

EDIT: Rosewood and ebony fretboards don't need finishing. Just maple needs finishing. Refinishing a fretboard involves removing the frets, which is something you don't want to to.

Immortal_Hero
03-21-2007, 08:21 AM
My fret board is not finished at all. It is just bare rosewood. I am just goint to hit the current finish on the neck with some steel wool/very fine sand paper and put a few coats of tung oil on it. Tung oil is the same as Tru-Oil from Birchwood Casey which I have used to do several gun stocks. Takes a bit of technique to apply but it isn't that hard. Just use sparingly and do several thin coats. If you use too much you will end up with drips/runs. I am going to hit it with 5 to 10 coats of that then use 0000 steel wool to give it that nice slick finish.

the_random_hero
03-21-2007, 08:41 AM
My fret board is not finished at all. It is just bare rosewood. I am just goint to hit the current finish on the neck with some steel wool/very fine sand paper and put a few coats of tung oil on it. Tung oil is the same as Tru-Oil from Birchwood Casey which I have used to do several gun stocks. Takes a bit of technique to apply but it isn't that hard. Just use sparingly and do several thin coats. If you use too much you will end up with drips/runs. I am going to hit it with 5 to 10 coats of that then use 0000 steel wool to give it that nice slick finish.

Tung oil and true oil aren't the same thing, but they do give the same sort of finish.

Immortal_Hero
03-21-2007, 10:58 AM
You are correct Tru Oil is a Linseed Oil blend.

sawhorse
03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
When I tung oiled my maple neck with maple fretboard, I just sanded the finish off the back and tung oiled that, I left the fretboard alone.

I'd recommend leaving the fretboard as is.

EDIT: Rosewood and ebony fretboards don't need finishing. Just maple needs finishing. Refinishing a fretboard involves removing the frets, which is something you don't want to to.
this neck plays real smoothly but has some god awful orange peel in the fretboard finish. Its been driving me crazy, so I sanded it all off. So I guess I can't leave it as is. Tung oil finish is something I've wanted to try but I thought I could apply on the fretboard, too. Maybe I should just do a typical lacquer finish.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Will_Minus
03-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I say give the fretboard (is it maple?) a few coats of clear, and then slap tung oil on the neck.

livrockdie
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey, what if you wanted to keep a light color? I there an oil for that? Because I want to keep a maple(ish) look if I redo mine.

Will_Minus
03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Tung oil doesn't do that bad of a job for that, it will make it a little tiny bit yellower.

You could lightly bleach the wood before you tung oil the wood. I don't have a link for how to bleach wood properly, but you can always consult Google.

livrockdie
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Ok, I was thinking of doing the back of the fretboard, not the headstock. The spot where my skunk stripe stops is a little uneven...

Ippon
03-21-2007, 09:07 PM
BTW, if anyone cares, the Tung Oil available at most hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes have additives like hardeners, etc. and used for furniture re-finishing. The luthier who recommended Tung Oil on my first mod recommended 100% Tung Oil - without the hardeners etc. which is recommended for musical instruments.

:cheers:

livrockdie
03-21-2007, 09:12 PM
cool

oreodunk
03-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Will Satin finish or Tung oil make the neck more smooth, as in reduce friction when ur playing?

gibson freak
03-22-2007, 03:06 AM
use a few coats hard burnishing oil it is derived from tung oil and seals the wood stopping moisture seeping in it gives the wood a deep feel and provides a long lasting finish

dave293
03-22-2007, 04:25 AM
BTW, if anyone cares, the Tung Oil available at most hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes have additives like hardeners, etc. and used for furniture re-finishing. The luthier who recommended Tung Oil on my first mod recommended 100% Tung Oil - without the hardeners etc. which is recommended for musical instruments.

:cheers:

Some luthiers find that pure tung oil doesn't give as much protection against moisture or wear. But some swear by the pure stuff.

If it were me i'd use some tru oil as it builds to a harder finish and still feels good.

Will_Minus
03-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Will Satin finish or Tung oil make the neck more smooth, as in reduce friction when ur playing?

Satin is just glossy clear coat with addititives that make it duller, and possibly a little bit smoother.

Playing a neck that's been tung oiled feels like butter, smooth and not sticky at all. Kind of greasy for the first bit, but that will go away.