HOW DO i ORGANIZE MY PEDALBOARD?

PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO i ORGANIZE MY PEDALBOARD?

interpol1988
03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
so my pedals are:

Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion
Digitech XSW Synth Wah
Ibanez Chorus Pedal

I'm running these through an Epi LP And a Crate 212 amp and I'm also using the pedal that comes with my amp that has 2 types of overdrives and reverb.

so how should i organize my 4 top pedals?

Guitarmiester
03-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Guitar -> Digitech Synth Wah -> Boss MD-2 -> Amp

Effects Loop Send -> Ibanez Chorus -> Boss DD-3 -> Effects Loop Return

interpol1988
03-21-2007, 06:51 PM
how do I hook up the effects loop? I've neeve worked with the effects loop... whats the purpose of it?

interpol1988
03-21-2007, 07:08 PM
my amp dont have an effects loop in the back it says; Extension speaker, reverb, clean/solo/rhythm, and Insert

blue_strat
03-21-2007, 07:17 PM
or

Guitar -> Digitech XSW Synth Wah -> Ibanez Chorus Pedal -> Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion -> Boss DD-3 Delay -> Amp

Mark G
03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
how do I hook up the effects loop? I've neeve worked with the effects loop... whats the purpose of it?

I would like this one answered as well.

interpol1988
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
i was lookin at robert smith's(the cure) rig @ guitargeek.com and he has guitar>distortion>Chorus>Delay>amp.
So would'nt that make me end up at G
uitar -> Digitech XSW Synth Wah -> Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion ->Ibanez Chorus Pedal -> Boss DD-3 Delay -> Amp ?

blue_strat
03-21-2007, 07:39 PM
generally you have the wah first, and the distortion before the delay, so the chorus could go in either of these positions

ECistheBest
03-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I would like this one answered as well.

u need the FX Loop In/Out jacks on ur amp.
it's like between ur preamp and poweramp i believe.
i don't have one myself so can't say so much about it...

interpol1988
03-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Oh ok But im the synth wah peadal has like 7 settings and im not really using the wah... I mainly the synth and envelope effect setting on this pedal, so is it still cool if i leave the synth first?

ECistheBest
03-21-2007, 07:48 PM
lol its not like its gonna break ur amp/guitar
if u like the sound coming from the pedalboard order like that
just use that. nobody's gonna stop u.

Guitarmiester
03-21-2007, 07:50 PM
If your amp doesn't have an effects loop, then you'll want your pedals in this order.

Guitar -> Digitech Synth Wah -> Boss MD-2 -> Ibanez Chorus -> Boss DD-3 ->Amp

UnsignedRecords
03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
the effects loop is after the preamp to retain the preamp's original tone, where you put od's, distortion and maybe wahs. modulation goes into the effects loop.

might be mistaken, but that's what i'm used to.

Mark G
03-21-2007, 07:53 PM
so: OD and distortion is between the amp and guitar, and modulation is between the amp and the speaker?

L_Z_Nut
03-21-2007, 07:56 PM
A chorus can go wah>chorus>overdrive/distortion/fuzz OR wah>overdrive/distortion/fuzz>chorus see which you like best. Normally you'd see a delay at the end of the chain (if you have no FXloop)

Just try out a bunch of different combos and see what you like best. It doesn't matter if someone tells you "you have to do it this way" if it doesn't sound good to you. Write down what you've tried to avoid doing them over, and to see what you can try next.

Gitarzan66
03-30-2008, 12:53 AM
I found this site on a google search. I am trying to figger out how to use my amps effects loop as well. I have been playing for many years but I have never used the loop. So if anyone here can tell me what to do, it would be cool. I play hard rock with heavy distortion. here is a list of my gear.

Boss tu2 pedal tuner.
Boss metal zone pedal
Ibanez screaming demon wah.
BBE sonic maximizer
Rack eq
Rack digitech GSP7 processor.
fender m80 amp (with loop jacks.)

Thanks,
Gitz.

carpepax
03-30-2008, 01:28 AM
my amp dont have an effects loop in the back it says; Extension speaker, reverb, clean/solo/rhythm, and Insert
Do you have a manual for your amp. Can you download one?

The jack labeled "Insert" is likely an effects loop. It utilizes a stereo(trs) jack by putting the output signal on the tip contact and the return signal on the ring contact that are shorted together when the jack's not being used, thus bypassing it.

If you can confirm that this is the case with your amp, you'll need what's called an "insert cable," also known as "stereo Y-cable." It has a stereo 1/4" plug on one end and splits off into two mono 1/4" plugs on the other end. One is the send from the amp and plugs into the input of the first effect. The return plug connects to the output of the last effect in the loop.

It places the effects between the preamp and power amp stages of the amp. Considered by many for a long time to be the best place for modulation effects.

stangconv
03-30-2008, 02:51 AM
THere is no wrong or rigth way to put your effects

Put your Tuner first so it gets a clean signal from you guitar.

Then experiment and try them all and see what you like best in what order.

The general Rule is Wah>OD but some people like the OD before the wah...

Mr_Bodom
08-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Hello, after trudging around 50 sites i came across this one, and hoped to bring it back to life. I am new to fx loops and such, and at the moment run everything through the front (straight through). My equipment is:

Guitar
Distortion pedal
Marshall JMP-1 Preamp
Boss GT-5 multi-fx (only for delay and reverb)
BBE Sonic Maximizer
VHT Pittbull Amp

I would be overjoyed if someone could help me with my rig. I have read many places that the BBE should go through the fx loop, but nobody is ever specific as to how.

jackedwards94
12-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Hello everyone,
I have just signed up to this forum thing and Im all new to it.
But I have a question and Im wondering if any of you guys can help me.
I have a pedalboard which consists of: Dunlop Slash SW95 Wah, Zakk Wylde Wah, Evh Phase 90, Boss DD3, MXR Smart Gate, Boss TU2 Tuner, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal and these are all powered with a Dunlop DC Brick. . These are going through the front of my Line 6 Spider 2 Amp (as it doesnt have an effects loop) then into my guitar (Gibson LP and BC Rich Mockingbird ST).
I was wondering what would be the apropriate ordering for these effects? I always keep the Wahs first in the chain btw.
Jack.

SimplyBen
12-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Hello everyone,
I have just signed up to this forum thing and Im all new to it.
But I have a question and Im wondering if any of you guys can help me.
I have a pedalboard which consists of: Dunlop Slash SW95 Wah, Zakk Wylde Wah, Evh Phase 90, Boss DD3, MXR Smart Gate, Boss TU2 Tuner, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal and these are all powered with a Dunlop DC Brick. . These are going through the front of my Line 6 Spider 2 Amp (as it doesnt have an effects loop) then into my guitar (Gibson LP and BC Rich Mockingbird ST).
I was wondering what would be the apropriate ordering for these effects? I always keep the Wahs first in the chain btw.
Jack.

Guitar -> Tuner -> Wah -> Wah (2 wah's seems a bit much...) -> Phase 90 -> DD3 -> Volume Pedal -> Smart gate

Welcome to the forums :wavey: Don't bump threads from last year though, it's better to start your own.