History- WWI Trenches

PDA

View Full Version : History- WWI Trenches

sincewhen??
03-27-2007, 03:58 AM
Ahh projects...gay arse little things :D
Ok i couldn't find it on google or wikipedia or on the main sites, but what weapons were used in the trenches in WWI, i've put down so far: Rifles, Grenades, Poison Gas & Machine Guns. Input would be lovely.

Cheers, Ben.

Superpartydude5
03-27-2007, 04:00 AM
If you're looking for specific weapon names I really only know the WWII ones

All I remember about WWI weaponry was they used mustard gas and that the red baron flew a fokker tri-plane that was badass...

Metal Disciple
03-27-2007, 04:08 AM
Bayonets. Y'know, the knife-things on the end of the rifles.

CoolDudeMorgasm
03-27-2007, 04:09 AM
Bayonets.

Dayn
03-27-2007, 04:20 AM
Mortars?

zerowing
03-27-2007, 04:23 AM
bombss from airplanes

Milit
03-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Couldn't find it on google, or couldn't be arsed to find it on google :confused:

1 (http://www.firstworldwar.com/weaponry/index.htm)

2 (http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW1/weapons.htm)

i searched for 'world war one weapons' and they are like the first couple on the results.

/thread :o

lots on info on that first link btw

Nelshizzle
03-27-2007, 04:28 AM
Fun fact: Use of Rusty Bayonet were againts the rules of war. If caught, your testicals were removed by the enemy.

Here threadstarter.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_weapons_were_used_in_World_War_1

waxhead
03-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Basic mortar and artilley shells, but aside from that, foot soldiers got their bayonets and were told 2 run. mounted machine guns, the water cooled barrel type and the standard rifles which were useless once dirt got in em

Woody_851
03-27-2007, 05:36 AM
we classed barbed wire as a weapon in our class last year because of the high numbers of casualties caused by it (much higher than most weapons) and also land mines.

_fender_fan_
03-27-2007, 05:47 AM
Doing the same thing in our class. barbed wire, mortars, aircraft (used for reconaissance) and early tanks, although they were not extremely useful due to the fuel tank being on the exterior of the vehicle, making it an easy target.

scrilly
03-27-2007, 06:36 AM
bombss from airplanes
Insignificant in World War 1.

Threadstarter: Rifles, bayonets, trench mortars, flamethrowers, machine guns, high-explosive shells, shrapnel, gas, tanks. Sometimes spades were used as close-quarters weapons. Reinforced concrete and barbed wire are also worth mentioning as contributors to the death toll.

sincewhen??
03-27-2007, 06:52 AM
ALSO last bit, it says using primary and secondary sources, dicuss what things did not change and why?

scrilly
03-27-2007, 06:59 AM
That's reseach, which I'm guessing none of us have the time nor inclination to do for you. I'd suggest looking at changes in tank technology and strategy, radio, the use of German shock troops and bombardment strategy.

pwnerer
03-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Mustard gas.

scrilly
03-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Mustard gas is a type of poison gas. The main ones in WW1 were chlorine, phosgene and mustard.

stevie-ray
03-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Trench spike, but that may have been in WWII. I wouldn't know, i wasn't there.

scrilly
03-27-2007, 07:13 AM
That's mostly an American thing, so they weren't used much in WW1 (no matter what patriotic little kiddies who probably haven't ever studied history tell you, the US didn't actually contribute much to the First World War). You see a lot more of it in WW2, though you're right that you did start to see them in 1917.

miscz
03-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Ok i couldn't find it on google or wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_war#Weapons_of_trench_warfare

FunkasPuck
03-27-2007, 08:23 AM
heres an interesting WW1 weapon type fact thing:

english soldiers were told to keep formation and walk (thats right WALK) when advancing on enemy trenches (infact this was so strict, that people who broke formation or ran were shot there and then for cowardace).

because the english troops had little experience with trench warefare at the time (and the powers that be wouldnt admit they were wrong or reasses the battleplans), as the brit soldiers slowly popped their heads above the trenches in a nice neat line, ready to walk towards the enemy, the germans just mowed them down with machine guns safely from miles away.

and yet somehow we still managed to win.

and also, im not sure if it was the 1st or 2nd ww, but apparently the german army developed the drug ecstacy as chemical warfare, so if they sprayed it on enemy troops they wouldnt be able to fire their guns (and presumably, would just want to dance and hug everyone and thus the war would be over).
didnt work though.

Kiffa
03-27-2007, 08:51 AM
I've been to that trenches in Belgium, pretty interesting, 'Hill 62' if you wanted/needed to know.

acdc51502112
03-27-2007, 09:34 AM
the main rifles: I don't know the French one. The British SMLE Lee-Enfield Mk II. Americans M1903 Springfield bolt action. The Canadians used the Ross Mk II bolt action (most traded with dead brits for enfields). And the germans used the 1898 Mauser Kar98k.

squirrelboy
03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
The Germans used sniper rifles quite a bit in the battle of the Argonne.

MetalMilitia212
03-27-2007, 11:03 AM
The trench spike was a major weapon, look it up. It consisted of a thin, short blade with brass knuckles for a handle for close quarters combat, which was about 40% of the fighting.

It's in Day of Defeat if you've got the game.

and yet somehow we still managed to win.

It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that basically everyone in the western world was against them and their allies were completely useless poverty stricken countries, not to mention fighting a 2 front war?

:p:.

Woo!Yay!
03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Pistols?

The colt .45 and the other one?

Germans used the Luger, 9mm pistol.

M1911A1 .45 Caliber Pistol then...

>.>

<.<

DigUpHerBones
03-27-2007, 11:23 AM
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/HL3fww.htm

Should tell you all you need to know about ww1.

Gonk
03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Ahh projects...gay arse little things :D
Ok i couldn't find it on google or wikipedia or on the main sites, but what weapons were used in the trenches in WWI, i've put down so far: Rifles, Grenades, Poison Gas & Machine Guns. Input would be lovely.

Cheers, Ben.

They had artillery in the trenches aswell for when they went over the top. Planes also took photos of the trenches to help commanders find weak spots. Apart from that, you've pretty much got it. I'd probably list all the different types of gas instead of just "poison gas" though. Like Mustard Gas, Chlorine Gas and shit like that.

FunkasPuck
03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that basically everyone in the western world was against them and their allies were completely useless poverty stricken countries, not to mention fighting a 2 front war?

:p:.

It could do....
but regardless, england rules. our world war track record is immaculate

_KurtCobain_77
03-27-2007, 01:37 PM
It could do....

Hey, don't take all the credit, without us Canadians at your disposal you would still be getting slaughtered trying to take Vimmy Ridge.

flyingmarlin
03-27-2007, 01:38 PM
they used a large pipe bomb in WW1 to destroy barbed wire. This was also reused in WW2 aswell, you may of seen it in " saving private ryan"

KillerShroom
03-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Artilerry support far behind the front lines would fire what's known as a 'creeping barrage' slightly aheahd of their advancing troops to trya nd take at most of the enemy in the trenches and cut barbed wire so that their troops could just storm over. Artillery shelling didn't work sometimes such as in the Batlle of the Somme in which a barrage of 3 million shells on German trenches took out nearly nothing as over one third didn't explode. The troops were ordered to walk across noman's land and the German's came out of their shelters 10m under the ground and machine gunned the lot. Over 60,000 casulties on the first day including 30,000 deaths, total cockup.

KillerShroom
03-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Hey, don't take all the credit, without us Canadians at your disposal you would still be getting slaughtered trying to take Vimmy Ridge.

yeah us brits should give credit to the canadians as the always are a big help, yanks generally just **** it up though
:p:

CaptainWow
03-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Fun fact: Use of Rusty Bayonet were againts the rules of war. If caught, your testicals were removed by the enemy.

Here threadstarter.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_weapons_were_used_in_World_War_1

:haha

The responses in that one are terrible. Some jackass actually submitted the M16 as an answer, right at the bottom. I counted three answers naming gas, with two on mustard gas, with two different effects and uses.

WikiAnswers is not exactly a viable site for a research project...

_KurtCobain_77
03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
yeah us brits should give credit to the canadians as the always are a big help

and you Brits gave us a country so
:cheers:

daytripper75
03-27-2007, 02:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dl_44#DL-44_blaster_pistol

should be all the info you need.

dont forget to include knives. it may seem obvious, but knives were pretty important in the trenches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_knife

MetalMilitia212
03-27-2007, 02:37 PM
It could do....
Notice that as soon as Russia pulled out and America entered you won the war?

You were floating on your little island while France and Russia were taking a beating, you little pussies :mad:

scrilly
03-28-2007, 09:09 AM
The trench spike was a major weapon, look it up. It consisted of a thin, short blade with brass knuckles for a handle for close quarters combat, which was about 40% of the fighting.

It's in Day of Defeat if you've got the game.
Day of Defeat is set during WWII. Try harder next time you want to argue with a history major.

copet
03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Tanks. Despite jokes made about French tanks not being effective, the French had the most advanced tanks of the war.

PatchworkMan
03-28-2007, 09:31 AM
The Germans used sniper rifles quite a bit in the battle of the Argonne.
The German sniper rifle was a scoped version of the Kar98K ACDC mentioned, and its use continued through WWII.

Someone mentioned pistols. The Brits used Webley revolvers, I believe, though they turned out to be ill-suited for the trench environment.

And to whoever said otherwise, close-quarters combat was actually a very small percentage of the killing in WWI; most of the deaths were from rifles and machine guns which were able to kill soldiers with pinpoint accuracy from a much greater range than Europeans were used to. The main reason WWI was such a bloody mess is that Europeans hadn't fought a real large-scale war since the days of muskets, which were both inaccurate and unreliable. European generals tried to charge trenches full of rifles and machine guns the way one would a group of musketeers and got their men mowed down by the thousands.

Jackal58
03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
The German sniper rifle was a scoped version of the Kar98K ACDC mentioned, and its use continued through WWII.

Someone mentioned pistols. The Brits used Webley revolvers, I believe, though they turned out to be ill-suited for the trench environment.

And to whoever said otherwise, close-quarters combat was actually a very small percentage of the killing in WWI; most of the deaths were from rifles and machine guns which were able to kill soldiers with pinpoint accuracy from a much greater range than Europeans were used to. The main reason WWI was such a bloody mess is that Europeans hadn't fought a real large-scale war since the days of muskets, which were both inaccurate and unreliable. European generals tried to charge trenches full of rifles and machine guns the way one would a group of musketeers and got their men mowed down by the thousands.

Actually most of the deaths on all sides of WW1 were from typhus, pnumonia and other diseases. More than 60% of all combatant deaths were caused by disease

Diamond Dave
03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
how about turkish cliffs on the beach? ANZACs ftw! or, for the loss as the case may be :(

Nelshizzle
03-28-2007, 11:47 AM
:haha

The responses in that one are terrible. Some jackass actually submitted the M16 as an answer, right at the bottom. I counted three answers naming gas, with two on mustard gas, with two different effects and uses.

WikiAnswers is not exactly a viable site for a research project...

Lol. I should of checked the link before I posted it. =/

cortez0
03-28-2007, 01:42 PM
An attack would start with a mortar attack (The fat Bertha), most of the airplanes weren't able to drop bombs.
Then they would just advance, slowly. There were machine guns who would kill most of them. Then they would try to get inside the trenches (which almost never worked) and start a man to man combat (the bajonets). Sometimes they succeeded to take over a trench but that wasn't a real victory cause there were 3-4 lines of trenches and they were vulnerable in such a trench.
Don't ask names of weapons, I only know: One of the last time horses were used, first time tanks were used, mustard gas was very popular.

bikerboyjosh
03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I've just come back from a battlefields trip, the used a spade instead on a bayonet, as the knife would get stuck, u forgot to mention shells, and howthorne mines

kevinm_117
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
the main idea of trench warfare in WWI was that one side would unload a massive amount of artillery at another side's front line till they blew a hole in it (ex: the German offensive at the battle of Verdun). then once they had broken through, they would send infantry-men (often led by young men who had recently graduated from a university- the best and the brightest of Europe), who would be met with a spray of machine gun fire. once the first wave of attackers had been slaughetered, the other side would then send its infantry-men in a counter-attack on the offensive side's line. again, they would be met with a torrent of bullets and die. the battle would keep going on like this for hours (sometimes days). thousands died and not an INCH of territory was gained for that price. in this sense, Europe was just banging its head against a wall for three years.

as for the rest of the weapons, they were gifts (actually curses) of the industrial revolution. the automatic machine gun, artillery cannons, hand grenades and mortar fire, poison gas, planes, tanks, mines, submarines, amphibious landing craft, and many other horrible creations. the central powers and the allies just canceled the others' weapons out though; for instance, gas masks were used against the poison gas, barbed wire against tanks, etc.

sars
03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
i'm pretty sure the m1 rifle was used by americans.
rifle version = m1-d.
:)

goods2006
03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
the main idea of trench warfare in WWI was that one side would unload a massive amount of artillery at another side's front line till they blew a hole in it (ex: the German offensive at the battle of Verdun). then once they had broken through, they would send infantry-men (often led by young men who had recently graduated from a university- the best and the brightest of Europe), who would be met with a spray of machine gun fire. once the first wave of attackers had been slaughetered, the other side would then send its infantry-men in a counter-attack on the offensive side's line. again, they would be met with a torrent of bullets and die. the battle would keep going on like this for hours (sometimes days). thousands died and not an INCH of territory was gained for that price. in this sense, Europe was just banging its head against a wall for three years.

as for the rest of the weapons, they were gifts (actually curses) of the industrial revolution. the automatic machine gun, artillery cannons, hand grenades and mortar fire, poison gas, planes, tanks, mines, submarines, amphibious landing craft, and many other horrible creations. the central powers and the allies just canceled the others' weapons out though; for instance, gas masks were used against the poison gas, barbed wire against tanks, etc.

The funniest part about trench warfare:

You are in a trench, and your officer blows a whistle. You have 2 options:

Rush - Go out of the trench and rush the enemy trench.
Stay back - Get shot by an officer for cowardice.

Assuming you rush you either:

Die.

Actually make it to the opponent trench, where you spend a little bit of time fighting. The officer blows the whistle again, and you run your ass back to your trench and wait for the other side to rush you.

Oddly enough, a lot of lives were lost and control of trenches lost because the soldiers had to retreat, regardless of how well they were doing in the opposing trench.

[the]whorocks
03-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Shotguns. (any company that would make em for the war)

Theplague925
03-28-2007, 08:39 PM

You were floating on your little island while France and Russia were taking a beating, you little pussies :mad:

:cheers:

FunkasPuck
03-29-2007, 04:25 AM

psssht. we are talking about WW1. the one where america did absolutely **** all.

is the "we won WW2 for everyone so there" argument the only thing you guys can come up with?

aaaaanyone could have dropped that nuke. it doesnt make you big, and it doesnt make you clever.
It is however, an interesting comment on americans stance on the rest of the world.
it was already a world war, but you didnt want to get involved until it directly affected you.

the french were destined to take a beating. they always do. thats why they are so quick to surrender all the time.

you may only comment on your superior military prowess when you have 100s of years of imperial awesomness under your belts, and have literally owned the vast majority of the world.

it might help to teach you soldiers the difference between "enemies" and "allies".

while you are at it, brush up on your tactics too.
you guys sent marines into the iraq war?? water soldiers into a desert conflict? lol.

and while we are an the subject:

our SAS > your Marines/navy seals/swat team/ whatever.

we rule. oh yes.