Alice In Chains Harmonies

PDA

View Full Version : Alice In Chains Harmonies

Sappy Old Age
03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Does anyone know what kind of harmonies Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrel used in the vocals.
I think there really kool and mysterios but im not sure exactly what they are.

EDIT: Sorry i wasn't very clear there

I meant like are they singing in 3rds 5ths etc.?

jcthomasva
03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
What do you mean? I'm pretty sure they winged it since they weren't exactly classically trained vocalists. If you are talking about actual sheet music for vocalists of their work I'm not sure that anything exists like that.

Jack Off Jill
03-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I honestly can't tell what you're asking. If you're asking what the harmony is, it's when they sing together. As for Layne's singing style, he usually added vibrato to his voice when he sang, which gave his voice a strange effect.

DaliLama
03-28-2007, 02:35 PM
The were probably mostly in 3rds and 6ths

Jack Off Jill
03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Also, Layne tracked his vocals two or three times a lot, which is one of the reasons it's so hard to achieve that sound live.

jcthomasva
03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes, compare his studio vocals to the live album vocals. He wasn't as good live...

Jack Off Jill
03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Eh, he was in the early years, before he got all drugged out and lost his teeth. You listen to different performances, it gets worse through out the years, and it's not because of studio tricks, it's because his body was deteriorating.

Page&HammettFan
03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
When he tracked his vocals, did he record everything three seperate times, or did they artificially multi-track the vocals by just taking the same recording and adding the same thing to itself?

(Sorry if that seems kinda vague....)

jcthomasva
03-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Eh, he was in the early years, before he got all drugged out and lost his teeth. You listen to different performances, it gets worse through out the years, and it's not because of studio tricks, it's because his body was deteriorating.

He's noticeably high on Unplugged, it raises the pitch of his voice and makes him sound tinny or whiny.

DownInAHole.
03-28-2007, 03:09 PM
AiC thread?

Anyway, to me, it seemed kind of natural. The unplugged performance and some of the live facelift songs showed me that they had that kind of chemistry. We'll probably never know.

jcthomasva
03-28-2007, 03:30 PM
AiC thread?

Anyway, to me, it seemed kind of natural. The unplugged performance and some of the live facelift songs showed me that they had that kind of chemistry. We'll probably never know.

NO! WE MUST FIND OUT! I PROPOSE THE FORMATION OF AN INVESTIGATIVE BODY WITH FULL SUBPOENA POWER!

P.B.
03-28-2007, 04:10 PM
i'll join, as an asside mission we will uncover the jfk conspiracy!

Jack Off Jill
03-28-2007, 04:32 PM
When he tracked his vocals, did he record everything three seperate times, or did they artificially multi-track the vocals by just taking the same recording and adding the same thing to itself?

(Sorry if that seems kinda vague....)

Both, it depends on the song. And yeah, his pitch went up, but you have to remember, Unplugged was the first live show they had played in three years. But just look at how ****ed up he was, of course he wasn't going to be able to sing as well. If you look at early footage, when they'd sing on songs like Social Parasite, his voice was just like on record. Or, if you watch the Singles movie release party, he sings damn well on there, too. Or if you listen to the Live album, the first half was done pretty well, the latter half was terrible, though.

Lukeisonfire
03-28-2007, 05:30 PM
They use a shit load of reverb, I think the slightest bit of distortion, and record several times!

Jack Off Jill
03-28-2007, 05:32 PM
It's mostly pure talent, dude. Layne had some crazy pipes.

Page&HammettFan
03-28-2007, 05:46 PM
I listened to the song "Would", and I'm not even sure that Cantrell did vocals in the studio version of that? It sounded like one voice to me, just re-tracked.

Lukeisonfire
03-28-2007, 06:07 PM
^ yup cantrell sings the verse and ofcourse his infamous backing vocals which to me sound like a regular vocal. He also sings in down in a hole, ahhh that blues song on JOF which owns, Intro to rooster, and thats it I think...

DownInAHole.
03-28-2007, 06:22 PM
I listened to the song "Would", and I'm not even sure that Cantrell did vocals in the studio version of that? It sounded like one voice to me, just re-tracked.
Yes, he sang in every part except for the outro......Cantrell actually sings more than you think; it's just that Layne overrides everything.

DownInAHole.
03-28-2007, 06:25 PM
^ yup cantrell sings the verse and ofcourse his infamous backing vocals which to me sound like a regular vocal. He also sings in down in a hole, ahhh that blues song on JOF which owns, Intro to rooster, and thats it I think...
Sorry to double post (:haha) , but Jerry sang on way more songs than that. No Excuses, Man In The Box (sometimes), Over Now, Brother, Got Me Wrong's chorus. And many, many more.

*Waits for Frenchy to come in and own everybody*

Lukeisonfire
03-28-2007, 07:07 PM
^ lets make a list!

DownInAHole.
03-28-2007, 07:08 PM
.......Well, we also left out "Killer Is Me" and "Don't Follow."

jcthomasva
03-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Jerry sings lead on:
Grind
Heaven Beside You
Over Now
No Excuses
Don't Follow
Killer Is Me
Brother
Right Turn
Am I Inside

Jack Off Jill
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Jerry didn't sing the intro to Rooster, he sang the chorus, and harmonied certain parts. Actually Layne didn't over ride everything, supposedly that's the reason why he didn't want to be in Alice in Chains anymore. The band, and the managers, and record companies were pushing for Jerry Cantrell to sing more, and Layne less. Probably because Layne was losing his voice, but whatever. The point is, Jerry didn't have a good enough singing voice to sing more than Layne, but for some reason he did more singing than Layne did on the last album. Actually, Jerry sang on the majority of the catalog, but there's times when it's hard to tell the difference between Jerry's voice and Layne's voice.

jcthomasva
03-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Jerry sang less than Layne on Tripod, but Jerry's songs are more memorable. Layne was so zonked on heroin by then his voice was monotone and his commitment to the music questionable. Watch the music video of Grind for visual confirmation of this. I heard somewhere that Grind was written in response to McCartney-esque rumors of Layne's death prior to the release of Tripod. Layne, of course, wasn't dead, but he wasn't productive either.

Blackholesun00
03-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Jerry and Layne's vocal harmonies on No Excuses are prolly what make the song so awesome to me :D

Lukeisonfire
03-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Down In A hole shows the best harmonies!

Blackholesun00
03-29-2007, 09:18 PM
^Oh and that too.

DownInAHole.
03-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Down In A hole shows the best harmonies!
Thanks. :D

Lukeisonfire
04-02-2007, 05:18 PM
^ Talking about the song :haha :haha but yours is cool too :p:

the1
04-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I think "What the Hell Have I?" has the best harmonies! Jerry has a good voice, but it isn't a strong gritty rock voice.
Where do I get "Social Parasite"?

Jack Off Jill
04-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Just download it, who cares? You can get it on the huge box set thing, though.