Difference between a squier and american strat body?

PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a squier and american strat body?

mr. jimmy
03-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm considering getting a stock american strat (a VERY large amount of money for someone on my budget) or getting a cheap squier body and ordering a neck, PU's, etc., off of warmoth and musician's friend (cheaper, I think). But what I really need to know is if there is a considerable difference between a squier strat body and an american strat body (keep in mind that I'll putting all the hardware on myself, so the 'quality of craftmanship' doesn't really matter). I know that the quality of the wood on the squier will be worse, but how much will this affect tone?

~thanks much

BreakingTheGirl
03-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Squier is shit wood,
Might as well be balsa.
I really don't know how much
It would affect the tone,
But i don't think it'd be too pretty.
Atleast not as pretty as
A normal american strat.

TheChallenged
03-30-2007, 09:20 PM
if you're going to do that, do it with a fender standard MIM strat, not a squier

SG6578
03-30-2007, 09:21 PM
...I would build the custom...wood does not make a great amount of difference.

BreakingTheGirl
03-30-2007, 09:22 PM
if you're going to do that, do it with a fender standard MIM strat, not a squier
That sounds good.

livrockdie
03-30-2007, 09:25 PM
or get parts other than squire off of guitar fettish, warmoth, and such...

Lynchworm
03-30-2007, 09:31 PM
There can be a few differences. Fender strats are usually constructed using a wood called alder and sometimes ash. There are others but mostly those 2. Some Squier body's are made of alder as well but some say that the quality is not that of a Fender Strat. Some Squier Strat bodies are also made of some lesser known wood and even plywood. There have been people that have used Squier bodies in a custom made guitar and had good results. Another thing is that you will want to consider new pickups and hardware. If you were gonna use a Squier body, get one made of alder otherwise get a mexican strat body new for around 150.00. Hope this helps

Will_Minus
03-30-2007, 11:25 PM
The species of the wood has more to do with the sound than the quality. To an extend, that is. The Fender's wood will probably be much nicer looking than the Squier's, however.

The Squier Affinity models are made of decent alder, they also have good necks.

kaplac
03-30-2007, 11:33 PM
yeah, squiers are made out to be much worse then they actually are.

lynchworm pertty much raped everything he said.

Fender strat are made of Alder, Squire strats are alder in the affinity series and most of the higher end series. Bullets are plywood. But I've heard some very minor accounts of people saying their squires were made of other materials like agathis (no balsa, no ash, and no lesser known woods)

Both companies stopped using ash in their guitars at around the 50-60s I think. But either way, you'll never find a stock fender or squire using ash in their guitars at this current period of time.

The differences between the two are probably minimal at best. The Fender will have prettier wood and be made of less pieces. Probably about 2-3. Squiers will be ugly, with green streaks and possibly areas where the wood wasn't filled properly. It will also probably be about 3-5 pieces glued together which will very, every so slightly reduce your sustain. But it wont' even be noticable.

Otherwise mostly everything else is about the same,

Ippon
03-31-2007, 12:02 AM
^ Also, there are different Squier Bullets, The MIA (old) and MIJ are made of Alder, while the "newer" ones that are MIK (Korea) are plywood. The Standard Squiers are Agathis while the Affinity as already mentioned, are Alder.

As far as hardware, the MIM Standards and Squiers have a puny trem block and closer string spacing on the bridge. The MIA and MIJ Fenders and the older MIJ Squier Strats ('early 80s) have interchangeable bridges (the 6-screw Vintage-style) with beefier trem blocks.

Of course the electronics (pots and switch) of the MIA are superior to the the Affinity and Standard Strat, and so are the tuners.

Lots of people consider the Ash body superior to Alder. Most tone chasers like me think so anyway. :)

So what's your plan?

:cheers:

mr. jimmy
03-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks to all. I definitely think I'm going to a build a custom one now.

geetar_alex
04-01-2007, 06:02 AM
I think that some squiers have slightly thinner bodys than fenders.

MrCarrot
04-01-2007, 08:48 AM
^ Also, there are different Squier Bullets, The MIA (old) and MIJ are made of Alder, while the "newer" ones that are MIK (Korea) are plywood. The Standard Squiers are Agathis while the Affinity as already mentioned, are Alder.

As far as hardware, the MIM Standards and Squiers have a puny trem block and closer string spacing on the bridge. The MIA and MIJ Fenders and the older MIJ Squier Strats ('early 80s) have interchangeable bridges (the 6-screw Vintage-style) with beefier trem blocks.

Of course the electronics (pots and switch) of the MIA are superior to the the Affinity and Standard Strat, and so are the tuners.

Lots of people consider the Ash body superior to Alder. Most tone chasers like me think so anyway. :)

So what's your plan?

:cheers:
My MIM doesn't have a puny trem block at all...It's full size. My Squier's is tiny though, and smaller. I think they upgraded the MIMs recently...

Lynchworm
04-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Kaplac does not know what he is talking about. Fender currently make guitars out of ash unless their website and Musicians Friend are lying to me. I also never said squiers make guitars out of ash.

woodenbandman
04-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Don't fender use 1 or 2 piece bodies?

I'd go with a peavey falcon body. Sexiest damn wood period. Even the blemishes look good.

kaplac
04-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Learn to read.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510590

In the details both the MiM and the american strat both say it has an alder body.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/kaplac/pwnt.jpg
Thats straight from the Fender website too.

Learn to do your research before you look like a douche.

Btw, The last time Fender used any type of ash in their standard bodies was in the 50s

Fender has like one or two models that have swamp ash in it, but those are like reissue and artist guitars.

Lynchworm
04-01-2007, 07:46 PM
American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster®

The American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster guitar is for players looking for a traditional ash-body Fender guitar that “does it all.” The S-1™ switching system and three Samarium Cobalt Noiseless™ Strat pickups make this guitar extremely versatile and provide endless tonal variety. It also features a two-point synchronized tremolo with stainless steel saddles, modern C-shaped maple neck with a maple or rosewood fingerboard, abalone inlays and 22 medium jumbo frets.

Off of the FENDER WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hamish5178
04-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah, fender makes ash guitars kaplac, you're talking out of your ass.

kaplac
04-01-2007, 08:31 PM
jesus christ. The threadstarter asked specifically about a
stock american strat
then lynchie here goes on saying some of them have ash bodies which is COMPLETELY wrong.

And you copied from an american deluxe ash strat. Which is definately not a stock american strat.

And I also specified that fender makes some ash guitars that are not stock, which was implied by the statement, "but those are like reissue and artist guitars."

Theres no point in trying to defend myself anymore, this place has fucking gone to hell.