Acoustics for folk/bluegrass/classical

PDA

View Full Version : Acoustics for folk/bluegrass/classical

georgeazguitar
04-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Summer is coming so Im going to take some classes for Folk/Bluegrass and Classical guitar. I don't want to have to buy 2 guitars so would a classical guitar sound good even playing folk/bluegrass fingerstyle picking?

Lauke_101
04-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it will, but it'll probably depend on the classical guitar as well. One with a spruce top will probably do it a tad better than one with a cedar top, because spruce has more treble and bass response and cedar more midrange.
Fingerstyle picking will be a bit harder on a classical guitar though because of the thicker and wider neck and the nylon strings.

georgeazguitar
04-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Ew, alright. Thanks. Does anyone have any advice on whats guitars are good for folk and bluegrass fingerstyle?

LonelyHashBrown
04-02-2007, 03:31 PM
ahhh, i'd suggest some concert or auditorium body Guilds or alvarezs. there pretty much badass

rock_and_blues
04-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I dont know of many bluegrass guys who fingerpick....most of them that i know use a flatpick.

Folk on the other hand is predominately fingerpicked.

georgeazguitar
04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I dont know of many bluegrass guys who fingerpick....most of them that i know use a flatpick.

Folk on the other hand is predominately fingerpicked.

I guess your right, I never listened nor played bluegrass. Im just taking the class this summer so I can check out different genres. I think im going to drop the bluegrass class anywas. Would a guild be good for all out fingerpicking?

roamingbard13
04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
I think your best bet in this situation is to get a smaller body sized (OM or Concert) steel stringed guitar. This would be the best of both worlds. For about $600, you can get an excellent Breedlove concert-sized guitar that would be very good for fingerpicking.

Good for $500
http://www.music123.com/Breedlove-AC200-SM-----Acoustic-Guitar-i405077.music
Best choice for the money:
http://www.music123.com/Breedlove-AC250-CR-----Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-i405612.music

That guitar has the cedar and rosewood combo that is typical in classical guitars. The steel strings make it very versatile

LonelyHashBrown
04-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I guess your right, I never listened nor played bluegrass. Im just taking the class this summer so I can check out different genres. I think im going to drop the bluegrass class anywas. Would a guild be good for all out fingerpicking?

Yeah, a OM or concert body guild would be great for fingerpicking