lowering action on classical guitar

PDA

View Full Version : lowering action on classical guitar

maduro47
04-02-2007, 03:57 PM
i've searched high and low and i didn't find any tips on how to lower action on classical guitar. normally, action on classical guitar should be high, but after several hours of playing electric guitar action on classical is just too high. i know i have to cut down the bridge but i don't know how much so i would appreciate some tips. and btw, i have yamaha c40 classical guitar if that helps.

peace out

Semi-Ario5491
04-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Well if it's really too high then shave a little bit off of the saddle with emery paper. Although I warn you, if you go a tad too low, you could start finding dead spots, then you'd either have to shim it up, or get a replacement (the better option).

Guitarminator
04-05-2007, 02:35 AM
Take your strings off, then pull the saddle out, and take a flat file, or emery board, and shave off a little at at a time(from the bottom) by holding the saddle upright like it sits in the bridge slot, and rubbing it back and forth on the file.It may take you a while to find out how much to file off, but that way you don't go too low. One way to get it even is to mark the bottom with a pencil or marker, and just grind it down so that the mark is gone.

Good luck

Dix_Fix
04-06-2007, 02:34 AM
yes you can even put a piece of sandpaper on your table & rub your saddle back & forth.
If you go to low (just) you can shim it back up with a piece of buisness card. Dont forget the 'nut' make sure it isnt too high as well. If so same method.

Does your guitar have a truss rod. You can get minimal height adjustment with the truss rod
CAREFULLY

Guitarminator
04-06-2007, 04:06 AM
You could put the business card in there, but IMO in doing that you'd be decreasing the amount of direct contact of the saddle with the bridge, which will affect your sound and sustain. I wouldn't recommend it, but as a temporary fix...fill yer boots:)