What about this idea...

PDA

View Full Version : What about this idea...

6WS
04-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Alright so we all know flaming and spam are a huge portion of replying posts in the Pit as well as some other various places on UG. What if UG set up a blocking system for the post-e to use.

So lets say you post a topic on "wood" or something like that. Some immature kid might say something like... "ZoMgZ... I have wood!" In such a case, the person who originally created the thread could block/delete that post from their thread topic. Kind of like the "reporting" button idea, but only available to the thread starter. Because, lets face it, some spam isn't really intentional spam, but an attempt at being funny, or just general stupidity. This might bring down continuous spamming in threads, as well as general flaming. But if the reply was a deliberate spam/flame attempt, you could "report" them as well.

It would kind of be a way for a thread starter to moderate his/her own thread, when a mod isn't around to settle things. Kind of like a self-governed thread, so to speak.

What do you think? :)

mtrilus
04-03-2007, 02:30 AM
It doesn't sound too bad at all. It will take a lot of refining, but it would be a pretty nice feature. It would help people with real questions get some serious answers.

Dammit Missed T
04-03-2007, 02:30 AM
In theory it sounds like a good idea, but if the thread starter disagreed with valid arguments against their point, they could delete them, meaning that some discussions on gear or whatever could become biased. It would cut down on all the stupid posts though.

i(ncubus)play
04-03-2007, 02:32 AM
In theory it sounds like a good idea, but if the thread starter disagreed with valid arguments against their point, they could delete them, meaning that some discussions on gear or whatever could become biased. It would cut down on all the stupid posts though.

Maybe like you could only use it twice an hour or something like that. It would help someone going through the archives looking for information to have all the info there, without spam dotted here and there

6WS
04-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Yeah, it's just a rough idea i had. Mainly because certain forums don't help as much as others do, at least for serious questions.

SuperRitsu
04-03-2007, 02:40 AM
hmm not bad of an idea..
you shold make a poll if they agree or not..

6WS
04-03-2007, 02:47 AM
^

is that how I would get the idea out to the mods? (If you can't tell, I have no idea how to go beyond this point with it, haha.)

Sir Edwin CBE
04-03-2007, 05:06 AM
I think it's quite a good idea.

VR2005
04-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Eh, we've got a lot of mods in the pit (15 I think) and usually there are atleast 3 on at a time. Though spamming is a problem it really isn't anything the pit mods can't handle, due to the massive amount of them.

kirbyrocknroll
04-03-2007, 01:25 PM
It sounds like a good idea, but I still think we should leave it to the mods. Like someone up there said, they just might use it to delete posts they don't agree with even if said posts hold water.

AdamDK
04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
This wouldn't work. Because some threadstarters would abuse that power. Yes, SOME would moderate in respect, but a lot would abuse. Besides, there is plenty of moderators around.

Nerdo-sez-bo
04-30-2007, 11:10 AM
This is like communism in a sort of way. The ideals are great, but it's somehow going to go wrong.

Some people are goingnto end up being stupid and report loads of threads just to be annoying. Those threads will get removed and cause a lot of annoyance.

Good idea though if UG somehow work around that. :D

duncang
04-30-2007, 11:18 AM
This needs to go in Site Feedback.

FrenchyFungus
05-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Report it.

It'd just get abused, I r afraid.

hamish5178
05-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it would only be abused by the people that are already spamming ;)

Also, our problems here aren't with people saying "OMGZ *********!"

the problem is people starting flame wars and arguments about religion politics etc.