Differences between a classical and an acoustic guitar

PDA

View Full Version : Differences between a classical and an acoustic guitar

i_baked_cookies
04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
I've played an acoustic guitar like twice in my life, so sorry about my retarded question.

So, what are the main differences between a classical guitar and an acoustic guitar.

alreadygone
04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
there is no difference. a classical guitar is an acoustic guitar. there is however, a difference between a nylon string acoustic (=classical guitar) and a steel string acoustic. I think its self explanatory.

Zephyyr
04-03-2007, 07:42 PM
the head of the guitar is different

RPGoof
04-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Man theres a ton of differences
Classical guitars use Nylon strings due to do truss rod, have a different headstock/tuners, no fretboard inlays.

teamzaius
04-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Classical giutars have a certain shape to them. They have no truss rod in their neck and use nylon strings. They also have a wider neck than a regular acoustic guitar. The action is also quite high as the nylon strings need a lot of room to vibrate. Usually there's no fretboard inlays either, although not always.

guildaviator
04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
nylon strings

thundrstruk891
04-03-2007, 07:52 PM
ive heard people say that classicals only have twelve frets, but my classical has more than that.

classicals have nylon strings, producing a brighter tone i think.

jimtaka
04-04-2007, 06:43 AM
^--- they mean that the guitar has 12 frets before it reaches the body... not 12 frets total. some classical guitars do go to 14 before reaching the body, though.

CorduroyEW
04-04-2007, 07:15 AM
there is no difference. a classical guitar is an acoustic guitar. there is however, a difference between a nylon string acoustic (=classical guitar) and a steel string acoustic. I think its self explanatory.

True. People referring to steel string acoustics as "acoustic" insinuating that classical and flamenco guitars are not acoustic is one of my pet peevs

Classical guitars are small bodied guitars with nylon strings. Typically there are 12 frets between the nut and the body. The fretboard is usually flat and wide with no fretboard markers of any kind. The material used for the top is usually very thin spruce or western red cedar. The back and sides are usually a heavy hardwood like rosewood. These guitars usually have a fan shaped bracing patter but there can be other bracing patters too. Fretboards should be ebony and the bridge should be rosewood. The action is usually kinda high and the neck is angled back just a little bit. The neck is usually attached to the body with what is known as a Spanish heel. These neck joints are very stable, but if the neck is damaged or warps you have to completely take the top of the guitar off to fix it. Classical guitars donít usually have truss rods and they are not built to be adjusted or to withstand significant force from the strings.

Flamenco guitars are like classical guitars but the rules are not as strict for them. These guitars tend to have a lighter hardwood, like Spanish cedar or cypress, for the back and sides, they tend to have lighter bracings than classical guitars, with no neck angle, and much lower action. This gives the flamenco guitar its characteristic dry sound with quick attack and short sustain. Because these guitars are built even lighter than classical guitars, they are even more prone to damage from too much string tension.

Steel string guitars are have many body sizes. Some are the same size as your typical classical guitar, some are smaller, and some are larger. Steel string guitars use all sorts of materials for the back, sides and top. The most popular back and sides are mahogany or rosewood and the tops tend to be western red cedar or spruce. These guitars use thicker material than classical guitars. Most steel string acoustic guitars have an X brace that is very strong and makes it possible for the guitar to withstand significant pull from the strings. Fretboards are ebony on high end models and more likely to be rosewood on middle of the line models. These guitars have truss rods to help adjust how much the neck warps when different size strings are put on the guitar. The necks are most often attached with bolts or a dovetail making it possible to take it off and adjust without completely removing the top of the guitar. These guitars tend to have narrower necks than classical guitars and the fretboards have a radius sanded into them.