Alt & Indie AOTM - PERSON PITCH - Panda Bear

PDA

View Full Version : Alt & Indie AOTM - PERSON PITCH - Panda Bear

DorkusMalorkus
04-06-2007, 07:50 PM
March 20, 2007: Panda Bear's Person Pitch finally hits stores after a slew of singles. I call some stores. "Who? Panda Bowl?" they ask. No luck.

March 21, 2007: I continue my search for Person Pitch. Nothing. I read reviews. I grow more desperate for the auditory bliss that awaits. Out of anger, I buy We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank to keep me going. It will only last for so long.

March 23, 2007: Even with all of the great music in this marvelous month of March (Neon Bible, We Were Dead, etcÖ), I feel that Person Pitch will outdo them all. I feel as if Person Pitch will be the greatest thing to grace our ears this entire year.

March 24, 2007: I order Person Pitch from Best Buy's website along with Devendra Banhart's NiŮo Rojo (Best Buy because my dad can use his Reward Zone Card).

March 26, 2007: After continuous update checks from Best Buy's website, Person Pitch has finally been shipped. Now it is just a waiting game. I've listened to iTunes previews and free Pitchfork tracks so many times by now, I feel as if I already know how great the album will be. Iíve exhausted Young Prayer. Though there was no real point. From what I can hear, Person Pitch is much different. More accessible. More danceable.

March 27, 2007: I couldnít help myself. I bought ďTake PillsĒ from itunes. Good try, Modest Mouse. But you werenít enough to keep me from getting my ears on Panda Bear.

March 28, 2007: My CD is in Rancho Cucamonga. So close.

March 29, 2007: I believed that it would be here today. What a disappointment today was.

March 31, 2007: The album came. But alas I wasnít there to rip it out of its packaging and pop it in the player.

April1. 2007: Iíve finally got to listen to it. Sweet salvation has come. Time for the review:

DorkusMalorkus
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Panda Bear's Person Pitch

http://www.nialler9.com/blog/images/pandabear.jpg

When Comfy in Nautica starts, it sounds as if we are going up a roller coaster. Iíve found that in one way Person Pitch is like a roller coaster. Not because it has many different sounds, surprises, turns, and twists, but because (much like a roller coaster) it fucking rocks. This album is an amazing trip through the forest, over the ocean, through the city; It fits any mood that I am in, at any time. The sounds are so full of color. They are very much alive. It is hard to imagine that this album is the product of lots of layered loops and whatever other sounds Panda Bear (Noah Lennox) threw in. Iíll save myself the creative energy and compare it the Beach Boys, like everyone else has. It is like a spacey, vaguely folky, happy, danceable, amazing mess of an album that I canít stop spinning. I canít accurately describe this album, youíll truly have to listen to it. But I can say that I find myself wanting to dance every time Take Pills bubbles into fun, upbeat tune that it is. I can say that I truly enjoy all 12 minutes of Bros and Good Girl/Carrots. I can say that this is the first album that I have taken the time out of every day to listen to entirely lying down in my room for the past 3 days. I can say that there is nothing Iíd rather do than space out to Search for Delicious. I can say that this album is simply amazing and that I really encourage you to purchase it.

There is a funny story behind this album that lead to me to some hard and long (ha! I said hard and long) thinking. After I uncontrollably purchased Taking Pills, one of my friends told me that he had downloaded 3 songs from Person Pitch like it was nothing. :barf: At first I was in disbelief. I could not understand how this particular friend had even heard of Panda Bear. To accurately show you what I mean: He listens to Trapt. Itís like that scene in the crappy movie (you know the one I mean) where Student A uses infinite care on project X, and Student B does a crappy version of the same project and both students get an A. Student A feels cheated. Violated. Thatís how I felt. Now, I was enough of a douche bag to actually confront my friend about this. I told him I did not believe him and I was angry as well. We remained calm about the whole thing. I ended up explaining to him (and justifying to myself) why I felt angry at him for downloading the music that I adored with this long little instant message: I don't get to go out and purchase every CD from every band that I've ever kind have sort of liked. So I spend my money only on the music that I really like. The obscure stuff. (And I do not download entire albums, ever.) As a result of only purchasing a limited amount of music, I become really attached to it. And since no one else really listens to it, I feel like it is my own. And then when someone else listens to it, I feel a little violated. Especially when it is downloaded.

That cleared most of it up, we left it at ďI enjoy music more intimately than him, and he enjoys music in general more than I do,Ē and I decided that it was okay for him to download it, no matter how much I didnít like it, but I still had my own qualms to resolve. Was I douche bag for being angry? Was I wrong in feeling violated? The answer came to me through Person Pitch.

Iíve listened to it enough to know that I really do care about this music. It has in many ways become my music. I enjoy it. I enjoy enjoying it. I love this music to death. And I have every right to feel angry and violated when someone treats it like digitally downloaded dirt.

Knife2aGunFight
04-06-2007, 08:21 PM
That blue font is extremely unkind to those that prefer to use the black background.
This leaked way back in January. It is quite good.
I guess you should feel really violated.
and for those that don't know this is an Animal Collective side project.
people are really hyping this up though, but I guess it's deserved.

DorkusMalorkus
04-06-2007, 08:36 PM
That blue font is extremely unkind to those that prefer to use the black background.
This leaked way back in January. It is quite good.
I guess you should feel really violated.
and for those that don't know this is an Animal Collective side project.
Not so violated because I don't know you.

And it isn't actually a side project, so much as it is one of Animal Collective's member's solo albums.

...Real UGers use classic.

uhh_me?
04-06-2007, 10:29 PM
hahaha each of the albums you mentioned buying to supplement you were ones that i also bought to satisfy me until i got person pitch (i think i may have put nino rojo into your head)

such a good album, the first day i got it i must have listened to it 5 times and who knows how many times since then

good girl/carrots is the best track on the album i think

tezhall
04-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Excellent review. I have to concur that I always feel a bit ripped off when a mate casually mentions some awesome music that they just got from usenet or limewire, when I spend ages saving and hunting local shops to find the "real" version...I still can't find any Emiliana Torrini albums, and then one of my mates goes and downloads everything she's ever done for free and toys with me by burning them all onto one CD...:sad:

FTR, I prefer Black Style, but the blue font ensures that you have to really READ the review and can't just skim it - good skillz ;)

starsnostars
04-07-2007, 01:59 PM
i saw pitchfork praised the album along with any other band with 'bear' in the title. beacause of this, and also the horrible album art, i refused to waste time with it. but since you did so much work, and i love the way you did this one, i'll give it a spin.

EDIT:

so i downloaded it (OH NOES!) and i've got to say i like it better than any animal collective album i've heard, but like animal collective, i find it to be annoying at times.

DorkusMalorkus
04-07-2007, 05:39 PM
i saw pitchfork praised the album along with any other band with 'bear' in the title. beacause of this, and also the horrible album art, i refused to waste time with it. but since you did so much work, and i love the way you did this one, i'll give it a spin.

EDIT:

so i downloaded it (OH NOES!) and i've got to say i like it better than any animal collective album i've heard, but like animal collective, i find it to be annoying at times.
Not listening to something because Pitchfork liked it is just as bad as following everything Pitchfork liked. :no:

But thanks for listening to it and forming your own opinion.

And I love the album art!!!
(http://agnesmontgomery.com/)

starsnostars
04-07-2007, 06:09 PM
it's not that i hate everything they like, it's i see that they like to take mediocre albums and hail them to greatness. this seemed like one of those to me.

also: friends don't let friends listen to trapt

sponj
04-07-2007, 06:14 PM
:down: I love your writting.

I'm going to download some songs and then decide if I'll buy it.

paintITblack39
04-07-2007, 08:21 PM
I think I might actually check the album out. Is it any major stores? Or would I have to goto Amazon/\?

slinks
04-07-2007, 08:25 PM
I downloaded it off of emusic a couple weeks ago. :D It's a little different, though, since I still paid for it; I just paid very little for it. It is a good album, though. I think if it were conceivable for Brian Wilson to take even more acid and lengthen his songs to 12 minutes the result would be akin to this album.

DorkusMalorkus
04-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Glad you liked it, Slinks.
I think I might actually check the album out. Is it any major stores? Or would I have to goto Amazon/\?
The Virgin Megastore in San Francisco had it. If there is one near you, try there first. But otherwise go Amazon. If you don't care about owning the physical CD you could use itunes.

paintITblack39
04-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Glad you liked it, Slinks.

The Virgin Megastore in San Francisco had it. If there is one near you, try there first. But otherwise go Amazon. If you don't care about owning the physical CD you could use itunes.
I was thinking the CD wouldn't be in my local Best Buy, but it turns out it is, which is a good thing :)

DorkusMalorkus
04-07-2007, 08:46 PM
:eek: I wouldn't even dream of my Best Buy having it.

uhh_me?
04-07-2007, 08:51 PM
well paint is near chicago, the pitchfork headquarters...that must be why it was there

DorkusMalorkus
04-07-2007, 09:16 PM
True dat. I wish I lived in/near a big city.

I guess an hour and a half to LA isn't too bad, but still...

But back on topic: I agree uh...me? Good Girl/Carrots is the best song on the ablum.

uhh_me?
04-07-2007, 09:19 PM
an hour and a half is better than anything i can do...3 hours to nyc, 2 to syracuse (which is a rather shitty city) 2 and a half to boston....actually i have half an hour to the state capital, but that place only has one street that i like...

Once the Carrots part of the song kicks in I never want it to end

starsnostars
04-07-2007, 09:23 PM
now i feel cheap for downloading it, because i know of two or maybe even three places in town that would for sure have it. but my $600 hospital bill makes me feel better about it.

DorkusMalorkus
04-07-2007, 09:25 PM
now i feel cheap for downloading it, because i know of two or maybe even three places in town that would for sure have it. but my $600 hospital bill makes me feel better about it.
$600 bucks? What happened?

Did you injure yourself while dancing in your room listening to Panda Bear? I almost did...an hour and a half is better than anything i can do...3 hours to nyc, 2 to syracuse (which is a rather shitty city) 2 and a half to boston....actually i have half an hour to the state capital, but that place only has one street that i like...

Once the Carrots part of the song kicks in I never want it to end
That sucks. I'm going to try to move to San Francisco (or Berkeley) or LA when I go to college, depending on where/if I get accepted.

And yes, the Carrots part should never end.

starsnostars
04-07-2007, 09:31 PM
$600 bucks? What happened?

Did you injure yourself while dancing in your room listening to Panda Bear? I almost did...
no. i passed out while i was peeing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micturition_Syncope).

woke up an hour later in a pool of blood. the total bill was $2500 but it's only $600 after insurance.

on a side note, i have hurt myself rocking out like jonny greenwood too many times to count.

uhh_me?
04-07-2007, 09:34 PM
no. i passed out while i was peeing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micturition_Syncope).

woke up an hour later in a pool of blood. the total bill was $2500 but it's only $600 after insurance.

on a side note, i have hurt myself rocking out like jonny greenwood too many times to count.
thats rough...i want to rock out like someone now...or dance to something
panda bear here we come

DorkusMalorkus
04-07-2007, 09:44 PM

Whoa, that's freaking creepy. But when reading it, it sounds a really funny.

I ran into a wall the other day dancing to the Flaming Lips with my six year old sister.

sponj
04-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Dancing is for LOSERS!

(no, no it isn't)

slinks
04-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Zach Braff's character on Scrubs had a similar ailment, though he would pass out during defecation.

It seems much funnier in a fictional, comedic setting...

sponj
04-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Scrubs stopped screening after season 3. how i miss them

starsnostars
04-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Zach Braff's character on Scrubs had a similar ailment, though he would pass out during defecation.

It seems much funnier in a fictional, comedic setting...
that is the one episode of scrubs i have seen. a friend of mine thinks i'm zach braff, and that didn't help the teasing. honest to god, i hate zach braff more than any other person alive today.

but yeah, i must admit, though it was one of the scariest things to happen to me, it was funnier than hell having to explain the reason i had stitches and a black eye to everyone.

it's also funny how page 2 of this thread has nothing to do with the album

uhh_me?
04-08-2007, 12:36 AM
i'm sure we can relate all this to the album...

DorkusMalorkus
04-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Starsnostars had Micturition syncope. He had to go to a hospital. Hospital! Scrubs!

Hello!

In Scrubs JD calls Turk "Brown Bear." Brown Bear. Panda Bear.

Duh!

starsnostars
04-08-2007, 02:32 AM
wow. just wow

slinks
04-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Starsnostars had Micturition syncope. He had to go to a hospital. Hospital! Scrubs!

Hello!

In Scrubs JD calls Turk "Brown Bear." Brown Bear. Panda Bear.

Duh!

:golfclap:

Fugazirancid
04-09-2007, 11:43 AM
lmfao...

Anyway, is this worth the buy for a rather casual fan of Animal Collective, or should I get another Animal Collective CD? (I have Sung Tongs and Feels atm).

uhh_me?
04-09-2007, 05:22 PM
lmfao...

Anyway, is this worth the buy for a rather casual fan of Animal Collective, or should I get another Animal Collective CD? (I have Sung Tongs and Feels atm).
it is certainly worth buying...even if you weren't a AC fan

Fugazirancid
04-09-2007, 06:45 PM
it is certainly worth buying...even if you weren't a AC fan

k, I'll probably pick it up soon...anyone know why it says it's still a pre-order on Amazon?

uhh_me?
04-09-2007, 06:46 PM
no idea, i got it from amazon and it arrived fine to me. no preorder nonsense

DorkusMalorkus
04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I think it is cheaper on www.paw-tracks.com

Fugazirancid
04-09-2007, 09:33 PM
I think it is cheaper on www.paw-tracks.com

Ooooh, thanks for the link. I'll see when I can get it.

Edit: Haha, the Borders right near my house had it! Wouldn't have EVER called that one. Waiting for it to load on iTunes now so I can listen to it :cool:

WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG GRR

Edit 2: Halfway through Take Pills. Pretty crazy, but I dig.

Edit 3: This is realllyyy good. Wow.

DorkusMalorkus
04-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Damn, why didn't you tell me that you edited!

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Fugazirancid
04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Sorry lol.

Yeah, this album is awesome. I love the second half of "Take Pills," that's almost the catchiest melody in the history of ever.

starsnostars
04-17-2007, 08:50 PM
i'll admit that the track bros was growing on me. that is until i started hearing it two or three times on the radio everyday. i really can't stand the track anymore.

Fugazirancid
04-17-2007, 09:27 PM
i'll admit that the track bros was growing on me. that is until i started hearing it two or three times on the radio everyday. i really can't stand the track anymore.

I want radio stations that play thirteen-minute indie songs.

=(

The only rock station in Charlotte seems to play the same five nu-metal songs 500 times in a row. Or they're all different and just sound the same. Never really listened hard enough to tell.

starsnostars
04-17-2007, 09:33 PM
http://www.kjhk.org/

it's the college radio station, but it's really the only one that anyone listens to here.

in fact i can see on their 'rotation' list that they just played panda bear. most of the time they either play pitchfork approved albums or shitty obscure house music.

Fugazirancid
04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
http://www.kjhk.org/

it's the college radio station, but it's really the only one that anyone listens to here. in fact i can see on their rotation list that they just play panda bear. most of the time they either play pitchfork approved albums or shitty obscure house music.

Ah.

Vaguely off-topic: is the general consensus that Pitchfork is a bunch of trend-following snobs, then? I've heard much distaste about them, and I do see that they seem to follow trends. But I'm not 100% sure why they're hated -- quite a few of the albums they like I find myself and others I've seen (on and off this board) liking as well.

starsnostars
04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
the fact that they think they start trends, as if anyone should care in the first place, rather than following them is why i hate them. i wish they would write interesting reviews rather than try to beat someone to the punch for rights to claim that they broke a band. or to be the first ones to say a band sold out after they sign to a major label. i like some of the albums they praise but for the most part, when i see them give, what i assume, a mediocre album a 8.5 or 9.0 rating, i can't help but feel that they are only doing so for their own well-being.

adspofjds. also, i haven't read a review from them since 2003 that actually spoke of the album in question.

system
04-19-2007, 03:43 PM
this album is reallly nice. that's all i have to say.

DorkusMalorkus
04-19-2007, 06:05 PM
this album is reallly nice. that's all i have to say.
That is all you need to say.

julio1987
04-20-2007, 01:23 AM
One of the best cd covers I've seen...

Cptbeefheart
05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Awesome record, I enjoyed it much more than Young Prayer.

uhh_me?
05-07-2007, 03:30 AM
jesus christ
everytime i listen to this record i like it more and more
and i liked it a whole lot to begin with