Clear Pickgaurd as alternative to finishing

PDA

View Full Version : Clear Pickgaurd as alternative to finishing

malibu43
04-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I posted in the Guitar Painting/Finishing thread, asking about how to add a layer of clear coat to protect a paint-pen autograph on my cheapy electric guitar. After droping $30 for some different polycrylics and wasting a few precious hours of my weekend, only to find that I didn't know what I was doing and that it's a much bigger project than I had thought, I came across this:

http://guitararmor.com/

This looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Much cheaper and quicker. Does anyone have experience with this product or the others like it out there? A local shop wants to charge $50-$100 bucks to put on a pick gaurd, or I could order this stuff for $9. Should I DIY or take it to a shop for something like this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

zy123456
04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
i would say try it yourself because it looks like it can be peeled off so you can try again if you mess it up and its only $9 so i say go for it.

malibu43
04-09-2007, 02:53 PM
guitararmor.com and another website that sells something called "guitar bra" both seem to be no longer operating.

Does anyone have an alternative source?

drugless_stoner
04-09-2007, 03:02 PM
make it, use a good scroll saw if you can get it, its easy if your careful and take your time marking it out, remember, measure twice and cut once. but anyway, who autographed it?

malibu43
04-09-2007, 03:10 PM
make it, use a good scroll saw if you can get it, its easy if your careful and take your time marking it out, remember, measure twice and cut once. but anyway, who autographed it?

What material and thickness do you recommend? Some places use Mylar and others use Luthier. I can buy the mylar sheeting from Stew-mac, but it's adhesive, so it doesn't sound like it will be removable the guitar armor or guitar bra. So, where can I find the right material to make it removable?

It was autographed by Chris LeDoux, a country artist who passed away a few years ago. He wasn't ever real big, but was one of my favorites.

malibu43
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Ordered some luthier from dscustoms.com. I will cut it myself. $6.00 sure is way cheaper than finishing a guitar!