Locking Nut Systems - What are they?

PDA

View Full Version : Locking Nut Systems - What are they?

Tomaz24
04-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Ok I need some advice about locking nut guitar systems - first of let me be completely honest. Over the six years Iíve spent playing guitar, Iíve never come across one and I know nothing about them. Different people keep telling me different things.

Anyway, since hearing about these locks Iíve been wanting to get a guitar with one installed. The reason for this mainly is because I want try and step up my solo skills and I donít feel comfortable with doing that with any of my present guitars; string bending sends them both out pretty quickly and when youíre in a band playing mainly chords you really donít want that. I want some security so I can feel confident to be more expressive.

So first of all. Do they work? Will I really get through a gig perfectly even if Iíve been doing some serious string bending and such.

Second of all. How much of pain is it too tune them? Iíve been told itís very complex and thatÖ tuning one string could be changed when tuning another.

Third; what kind of bridges have them? Again Iíve been told floating bridges but theyíre somewhat unreliable.

Forth; is it possible to install these locking nuts on guitars or do you have to get a guitar pre-installed? If the earlier, how costly would it be?

And last of all, what guitars have them? I want something that can accommodate a pretty even scale of genres. From jazz, ska, funk and rock mainly.

I hope this will clear things up. Iím really confused.

duke_lion
04-17-2007, 11:33 AM
isn't locking tuners sufficient?

Tomaz24
04-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Well what are they?

Pacifica112J
04-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Just google it.

1. Yes, they work great.
2. It's the bridge that makes it a hassle to tune, not the nut.
3. Floyd Rose, Ibanez FR's (Edge, ZR, etc.), Kahlers, etc. All floating bridges have them. The only ones that seem to lack them are some Carvins, and some guitars with a very early Floyd Rose prototype.
4. It's possible to install one on pretty much any guitar.
5. Usually metal guitars have them, but they aren't limited to just metal. All genres can use them.

steven seagull
04-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Anyway, since hearing about these locks Iíve been wanting to get a guitar with one installed. The reason for this mainly is because I want try and step up my solo skills and I donít feel comfortable with doing that with any of my present guitars; string bending sends them both out pretty quickly and when youíre in a band playing mainly chords you really donít want that. I want some security so I can feel confident to be more expressive
The one thing you can't do is get a locking nut without a floyd-type bridge, they have fine tuners which allow you to make minor tuning adjustments once the nut is clamped. Without them you'd have to keep unlocking the nut which defeats the object. Pacifica112J pretty much covered everything...but just a quickie.

Do you stretch your strings properly when you change them?

madpickin03
04-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Ok I need some advice about locking nut guitar systems - first of let me be completely honest. Over the six years Iíve spent playing guitar, Iíve never come across one and I know nothing about them. Different people keep telling me different things.

Anyway, since hearing about these locks Iíve been wanting to get a guitar with one installed. The reason for this mainly is because I want try and step up my solo skills and I donít feel comfortable with doing that with any of my present guitars; string bending sends them both out pretty quickly and when youíre in a band playing mainly chords you really donít want that. I want some security so I can feel confident to be more expressive.

So first of all. Do they work? Will I really get through a gig perfectly even if Iíve been doing some serious string bending and such.
Yes

Second of all. How much of pain is it too tune them? Iíve been told itís very complex and thatÖ tuning one string could be changed when tuning another.
Can only be used on bridge that has fine tuners (mostly Floyd Roses)

Third; what kind of bridges have them? Again Iíve been told floating bridges but theyíre somewhat unreliable.
Floyd Rose, Kahlers, Fixed bridge with fine tuners

Forth; is it possible to install these locking nuts on guitars or do you have to get a guitar pre-installed? If the earlier, how costly would it be?
Possible? Yes, worth it/guaranteed results? No. You have to have proper clearance behind the 1st fret at the nut area which if you route would throw your intonation like hell. PreInstalled is the best solution coz you pretty much cant fine tune it with a bridge that doesnt have fine tuners

And last of all, what guitars have them? I want something that can accommodate a pretty even scale of genres. From jazz, ska, funk and rock mainly.
FR equipped guitars mostly. Depends on the make and specs, they can handle anything

I hope this will clear things up. Iím really confused.

**That's why penguins created Locking Tuners to solve this problem**

locking nut - http://chasesraceplace.com/hardware/CRln.JPG

Tomaz24
04-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Ok cool. Thanks to all of you.

duke_lion
04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
But wouldn't locking tuners be a good addition too?

I got a PRS. It's got PRS phase II locking tuners. You put the string through the hole in the tuner, turn the plastic screw on top of it, and tune it.

Stays in tune forever.

Pacifica112J
04-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Locking tuners would be pointless on a guitar equipped with a locking nut, if that's what you're asking.

steven seagull
04-17-2007, 02:58 PM
I still vote for string checking - you'd be amazed at how many people think they have gutars with tuning problems when all they needed to do was stretch the strings.

Immortal_Hero
04-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I still vote for string checking - you'd be amazed at how many people think they have gutars with tuning problems when all they needed to do was stretch the strings.
+1 millionbizillion.

steven seagull
04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
+1 millionbizillion.
And I include my younger self in that too :D

Immortal_Hero
04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
And I include my younger self in that too :D
Oh me too. I quickly learned the importance the first time I installed new strings.