Two more genres to add here? Psychobilly N Rockabilly.

PDA

View Full Version : Two more genres to add here? Psychobilly N Rockabilly.

Silent_Scream1
04-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Well I myself like to play all that fancy rock, blues, and a little metal but my main music genre is Psychobilly and Rockabilly. I can never find tabs for the artists i enjoy listening to and have never seen anyone here mention it either. Well for Psychobilly im talking about The Quakes, The Meteors, Midnight Rockers, The Sharks etc. Rockabilly includes The Polecats, The Stray Cats, Billy Lee Riley, Eddie Cochran, Ricky Nelson etc. Psychobilly music was at its best in the 80's and Rockabilly in the 50's with the rockin stand up bass keepin the beat and playing hard, people with their quiffs and pomps. This is what music is to me. I dont know but it's very good stuff and i just hate it cuz i dont see it around in places like this. I mean cmon it is "Ultimate Guitar" right? :confused:

I'll try to describe and inform you on these genres of music for people if they've never heard of it.

Rockabilly- Basically what started real "Rock N Roll" started off in the 50's with artists such as Elvis, Ricky Nelson, Eddie Cohran, Sonny Burgess, you get the point. Mostly used playing Stand up basses and Acoustics and Semi n Hollow body guitars played using clean channels and having a little crunch to them to give em a good sound. And from my experience from learning these songs by ear it's mostly played using a pentatonic scale mixed with whatever the artists threw in their to make well, their music sound like what they wanted. Forgive me but i have little music theory knowledge. This music is what basically started the rebellious teenage party life and hasnt stopped yet. It has feeling, meaning, and effort put into it. I guess we people who take after this genre of music would be labeled as Greasers just like any other music labels such as Metalheads, punkers, rockers, etc. It's acutally pretty funny because i usualy get a whole lot of different remarks on the way i dress and do my hair and people would say like "Damn dude it looks like you just walked out of a time machine or something."

Psychobilly- I would call it Rock N Roll or Rockabilly mixed with Punk. Psychobilly is much faster, harder, and has a more rebellious sound to it. Artists are mentioned above but would include The Quakes, The Meteors, The Cramps, Midnight Rockers, 3 Bad Jacks, Necromantix and what not. Played with electric guitars mostly strats, hollow bodies to still give it that classic sound of rockabilly and still includes Standup basses. Also uses heavier distortion but still has it's cleans. Same pentatonic shapes from my learning exp. Uses a mixture of full chords and power chords since this is a heavier genre. Psychobilly was brought up in the 70's and 80's the fans dress very similiar to punkers but have their own unique hair styles called Quiffs which is basically a pointy mohawk going foward short from the back longer towards the front. Theres no particuliar label mostly called Rebels and most of the time confused with punkers.

Am i the only one who is into this kind of stuff here? It's popular where i live in L.A. Cali

Maggot66
04-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Rockabilly...? I can't say that I have EVER heard of that. Same with Psycobilly...

Are you sure you didn't just make those up..

Neon Knight
04-17-2007, 08:23 PM
I've heard of both, they would go under "other" me thinks.

Jearl
04-21-2007, 07:51 PM
well, if there are no tabs, that means that nobdy hear wanted to take the time to learn it, which means they dont really like it. if there was a section for it, i think itll die quickly

yawn
04-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Rockabilly...? I can't say that I have EVER heard of that. Same with Psycobilly...

Are you sure you didn't just make those up..I've heard of both.

Anyways, what exactly is the purpose of this thread? Are you encouraging others to tab more Rockabilly and Psychobilly songs? If so, this would better belong in the Tab Forum.

Gigatiran
04-22-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm sure everyone here has heard some Rockabilly music, you may just not know it's name.

Ad as for Psychobilly, if you've ever heard any Tiger Army, that is, for the most part, Psychobilly.

BrianApocalypse
05-12-2007, 04:36 AM
Post '70s rockabilly (ie. Stray Cats and similar revival bands) and psychobilly are more than welcome in the punk forum, as anyone who hates it will by and large fall on deaf protest.

Old school rockabilly would fit in the blues / classic rock forums?

the_triangle
05-22-2007, 08:54 PM
"It's a Psychobilly Freakout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Like would that be psychobilly