Deftones tuning

PDA

View Full Version : Deftones tuning

the_black_rat
04-24-2007, 09:01 AM
(C# G# C# F# A# D#) How can i tune my axe to these?

I am a noob to guitar really, been playing for about 5 months and i can play a few deftones songs, but i'm playing in dropped d atm but would like to play with the ones above.

My tuner won't do it for me :( could someone explain how to do it so a noob can understand(i have read the tutorial on the main site and couldn't make sense of it).

Thanks in advance.

freedoms_stain
04-24-2007, 09:13 AM
tune all strings down 1 and a half steps, then the low E down another full step.

1 and a half steps also = 3 flats if your tuner works like that.

Gigatiran
04-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Get a chromatic tuner.

the_black_rat
04-24-2007, 09:21 AM
tune all strings down 1 and a half steps, then the low E down another full step.

1 and a half steps also = 3 flats if your tuner works like that.
Thats the kind of shit on the main site i can't make sense of :( I appreciate the reply and help but i need it explaining more basic if possible, failing that, i'll have to buy a new tuner :(.

C_Turton
04-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Ignore what freedoms_stain said. What he's saying will leave you tuned to drop-B, and you want drop C#. If you want to go from standard tuning to drop C# then do the following:

1. Ensure that your guitar is perfectly tuned in standard tuning, using your tuner.

2. Play the 4th fret on your low E string and then tune your A string down until it is tuned to the same note as the 4th fret on the E (the note being G#).

3. Tune the D string to the note on the 5th fret of the A string.

4. Tune the G to the note on the 5th fret of the D.

5. Tune the B to the note on the 4th fret of the G.

6. Tune your high E to the note on the 5th fret of the B.

7. Tune your low E string down until the 12th fret (or 12th fret harmonic) matches the open D string (which is now C#).

When you've done that just make sure you add in minor adjustments for any strings that are slightly out as this method of tuning isn't always 100% accurate.

Good luck.

zigslip
04-24-2007, 09:42 AM
to the guy above me, that wont help much, as the topic starter has only been playing 5 months, and his ear hasn't developed much to do that, and since those are sharps,

none of them are dropped a full step, other than the C#, tune your thick E string to D, then another half step down, and the rest of the strings, half step down from standard.....idk, i think thats still confusing ya

the_black_rat
04-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks mate, i'll try that in a bit, if i can't do it still i'll buy a tuner.

freedoms_stain
04-24-2007, 09:56 AM
apologies, i read b instead of #

my bad