The Wheel [GP4+GP5+MIDI]

PDA

View Full Version : The Wheel [GP4+GP5+MIDI]

ExplorerFreak
05-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey there everyone. Me and my buddy put this together this Saturday. It's titled "The Wheel." I know it is repetitive, but lyrics are in there and well, it's what you should expect from a song titled "The Wheel."

Please tell me what you think.

leo_p8
05-01-2007, 11:08 PM
I thought it was far too repetitive... even with lyrics... it just doesn't do it job of filling the entire spectrum with something to hear. Overall, the riffs (as you probably know) were simple, but effective, to the style and have enough ambiance to carry them through... you should really add something to it, like synths or at least have the instruments fill more.

What really ruined this for me were the solos. Damn, man, listen to some Pantera, graduate to John Petrucci and then get your doctorate with Necrophagist... all the previous know what a solo is, and should be... so go listen.

Variety is key, get out of the same time signature... don't block yourself in, play odd note groupings, play with sequence orders... make them melodic, make them tecnical... it doesn't matter... so long as they have something that hooks you and moves you. The solos you have are bland and lifeless, fix them, I know you can get those done well.

Best of luck man. Keep at it.

ExplorerFreak
05-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Um, yeah, I know it's far to simple for my liking, but my buddy is a bluse guitarist so I had to have it simple enough for him to play.

And actually, I HAVE Pantera, I IDOLIZE Petrucci, and PLAY Necrophagist.

And also, I really appreciate all you advice but damn man, you depressing me. lol

SGxMastodonxSG
05-02-2007, 09:54 PM
How many verses were there, like 4? And they were all exactly the same. I liked the interlude, and the second time you play it, I think it would be cool if that would just build into a bridge based off that riff.

Meh, pretty simple, and I didn't really like that verse riff anyway at all.

tabs aint cats
05-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Pretty good!
Really simple and basic but it works. Having verse, chorus, interlude 3 (almost 4) times in a row might not have been the best idea though and it gets pretty repetitive.
Overall pretty decent song. Nothing really awesome but defenetly not bad.
Check out and crit My latest song! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576252) plz! :)

leo_p8
05-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Ok... here's an example of what I mean with "livening up your solos... notice how there isn't all that much actual action... but just plenty of off-tempo (x-plet) licks in there... hell, there I even included a short harmony part in there.

This is just an idea, you should check out the Musicians Talk forum for further help when writing and playing solos.

Best of luck man... that hour I spent on your song was actually kind of fun.