Jimi Hendrix

PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

johnny_tapia
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
What the hell has happened to this thread? :p:

Back on topic, I started learning Bold As Love today. Brilliant song :)

JimmyStradlin33
03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
So good isn't it! I tried to learn it but too much to remember! The fact that it's not often referred to as one of his best shows the strength in depth he has with songs

johnny_tapia
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
^ I am actually learning the solo form the John Mayer version, purely beause I am more familiar with it :)

MrJayremmie
03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I learned Bold as Love. Love it! First time i heard it was just the instrumental version, and i was hooked! and then the John Mayer version i liked a lot, so i decided to learn both versions. The verse rythm/lead playing is just awesome.

Highbinder
03-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I really want to learn the chord progression for My Friend, I've printed off the tab but haven't had the time to sit down and focus on the last couple of days.

I finally licked Slow Blues. I nailed it perfectly the other morning, best phrasing ever - I've definately improved.

And offtopic but I fitted new slinkie regs to my electric so huzzah no 4 month old dull strings!

Badorphan
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm probably going to take some heat for saying this, but I actually like the Alan Douglas stuff. There, I said it. I know it's sacrilege, but I'm going to tell you why I like it. I bought a ton of Jimi Hendrix back in the early eighties. I bought everything I could get my mitts on (if my file counter is right, I have 461 Hendrix recordings with no repeats not including my Radio Show discs and I've never d/l'd a single Hendrix song). I didn't know a thing about how any of it was produced or who produced it. I knew most of my acquisitions were posthumous, but I was not aware that some of it was tainted with the stank of the so-called evil Alan Douglas. I just listened to the music itself. And, I gotta tell you, I really like the Midnight Lightning album (most of it). I like the songs a lot. I have an electric studio version of Hear My Train A Comin'. Aside from the version I have, I know of no other studio production of this song. I have a ton of concert versions, but no studio. And it's really good. Haunting. I have an electric studio version of Midnight Lightning. Not at all like the blues version on South Saturn. Complete with backup singers that sound like a baptist church choir. And it's just a real good song, never mind the aforementioned stank. Trash Man is an instrumental and it's just a very cool jam. Once I Had A Woman is another good song with a haunting sound. Gypsy Boy is great.
My take on Alan Douglas is that he was a guy who tried to finish what could never be finished. He took pieces of studio attempts and put them together to get a finished product. Yes, he added stuff, but the songs are good on their own merit and they are Jimi Hendrix songs. They are not Alan Douglas songs. Sorry, but I like them.
I also like Crash Landing. I don't have Cry of Love anymore, but I recall I didn't particularly care for that one but ultimately, I wish I still had it.

tremaine2007
03-05-2008, 08:14 AM
I learned Bold as Love. Love it! First time i heard it was just the instrumental version, and i was hooked! and then the John Mayer version i liked a lot, so i decided to learn both versions. The verse rythm/lead playing is just awesome.
The John Mayer version sucks. Jimi's is like 1000000 times better.

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I would agree that Jimi's version is probably better, but John's does not suck.

MaxwellVG
03-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I really like Hey Joe.

who doesn't :cheers:

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 09:41 AM
who doesn't :cheers:
Quite :p:

Heard the original version?

MaxwellVG
03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
yeah

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 09:52 AM
yeah
I haven't :(

Where did you get it?

MaxwellVG
03-05-2008, 09:54 AM
i got it from my dad

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 09:58 AM
i got it from my dad
Fancy sending me it? :D

MaxwellVG
03-05-2008, 09:59 AM
lol

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
lol
I take that as a no then :p:

It was worth a try.... :(

MaxwellVG
03-05-2008, 10:04 AM
you at least got to the point lol

ok back to the original convo....has anyone heard the Hendrix blues album? i got it this summer and it is AMAZING. One of my favorite blues albums ever.

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 10:07 AM
you at least got to the point lol

ok back to the original convo....has anyone heard the Hendrix blues album? i got it this summer and it is AMAZING. One of my favorite blues albums ever.
I have been meaning to get my hands on that album for ages. Is that the one with Mannish Boy on it?

MaxwellVG
03-05-2008, 10:12 AM
yup

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 10:18 AM
^ I just ordered it off of Amazon along with a bunch of other blues albums :D

MaxwellVG
03-05-2008, 10:21 AM
^lol sweet. yeah you wont regret it. Check out some Robert Johnson if you like blues

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 10:25 AM
^lol sweet. yeah you wont regret it. Check out some Robert Johnson if you like blues
I just bought the album with all of 41 of his recordings on it. I have heard a couple of his tracks before, but I can't wait to hear this cd :D

MaxwellVG
03-05-2008, 10:29 AM
sweet, yeah Robert Johnsons music is awesome. You could also get B.B.'s live at the regal...i have yet to get it i hear its great

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 10:40 AM
sweet, yeah Robert Johnsons music is awesome. You could also get B.B.'s live at the regal...i have yet to get it i hear its great
I bought a Best of BB aswell, just to get me into some of his music. I got the same thing for Howlin' Wolf :D

MaxwellVG
03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Oh yeah Wolf is awesome

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Oh yeah Wolf is awesome
I got some John Lee Hooker aswell :)

Anyhoo, back to Hendrix. Anyone got the Rainbow Bridge DVD?

MrJayremmie
03-05-2008, 02:55 PM

lol, of course Jimi's is way better, its not a competition, but if it was, Mayer almost sounds Karyoke and average compared to Jimi, specially jimi's instrumental version which is sooo beautiful!

But Mayer's is cool. I don't think he is that great of a guitarist, but he is a good musician.

johnny_tapia
03-06-2008, 09:45 AM
I don't think he is that great of a guitarist, but he is a good musician.
I think that he is a great guitarist. Check out some of his live stuff :)

Arnold.yozz
03-07-2008, 07:48 AM
amazing a master offall

MrJayremmie
03-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I think that he is a great guitarist. Check out some of his live stuff

oh i have. He is good, but his tone, and his licks have been done way too many times before. I don't listen to him to hear his guitar solo's, i listen to his music, because i find him a really good all around musician, song writer, guitarist, and singer.

johnny_tapia
03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
oh i have. He is good, but his tone, and his licks have been done way too many times before. I don't listen to him to hear his guitar solo's, i listen to his music, because i find him a really good all around musician, song writer, guitarist, and singer.
It's quite important to remember that he is actually a pop artist. He just has a bluesy side aswell :)

R.I.P.Jimi
03-07-2008, 11:13 PM
yes, using pop as it's proper form, not the new trash that pop is now...but he was definately not a pure blues artist...now he did reveal that side of his music quite often. but he still had many hits. thankfully :P

Swat Man
03-08-2008, 02:45 AM
i didnt know that john mayer is like the nephew of roger mayer who made most of jimis pedals in the 60's... found that to be interesting

BrainDamage
03-08-2008, 11:16 AM
but he was definately not a pure blues artist... Take a listen to his two Webster Hall shows in December 2004 :p:

johnny_tapia
03-08-2008, 07:33 PM
i didnt know that john mayer is like the nephew of roger mayer who made most of jimis pedals in the 60's... found that to be interesting
That is interesting :)
Take a listen to his two Webster Hall shows in December 2004 :p:
Exactly :p:

Nugi
03-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know what cd Highway chile is on?

I dont beleive this song isn't more famous

johnny_tapia
03-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Does anyone know what cd Highway chile is on?

I dont beleive this song isn't more famous
What cd was it originally on? I have it on the greatest hits :p:

MrJayremmie
03-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Yea, i like Mayer's pop and blues stuff. I like continuum because it kind of mixes it. :)

anyway, that is cool that John's uncle did that, cool fact!

What is your guys' favorite Hendrix cover? mine is DEFINITELY All along the watchtower. That is one of my favorite songs ever! :)

Carswell98
03-08-2008, 09:00 PM

War Heroes I believe

johnny_tapia
03-08-2008, 09:01 PM
What is your guys' favorite Hendrix cover? mine is DEFINITELY All along the watchtower. That is one of my favorite songs ever! :)
That is a great cover. I really like his "Like A Rolling Stone" though :)

Carswell98
03-08-2008, 09:19 PM
That is a great cover. I really like his "Like A Rolling Stone" though :)

I prefer it to AATW

probably just because it's overplayed to death though :p:

Bling Dogg
03-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Like a Rolling Stone definitely. I love all his covers of that song, more than All along the Watchtower. Too bad he never released an official studio version of it. I read that the band did record a version in the studio, but it was never released, and got lost in later years after his death. Too bad.

Nugi
03-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Yea, i like Mayer's pop and blues stuff. I like continuum because it kind of mixes it. :)

anyway, that is cool that John's uncle did that, cool fact!

Killing floor for me, love that song:D

Like a rolling stone comes after:)

johnny_tapia
03-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Like a Rolling Stone definitely. I love all his covers of that song, more than All along the Watchtower. Too bad he never released an official studio version of it. I read that the band did record a version in the studio, but it was never released, and got lost in later years after his death. Too bad.
That sucks. It would have been cool to hear :)
Killing floor for me, love that song:D
That is a brilliant cover :D

R.I.P.Jimi
03-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Take a listen to his two Webster Hall shows in December 2004 :p:

was talking 'bout jimi lmao. But i might have a listen anyway :P
Edit: and my favorite cover...hmmm he did alot. probably killing floor or wild thing. but he has so many great covers...

Pretty PinkPony
03-09-2008, 01:40 PM
AAAHHHH!! I have a 1.808 GB torrent of 19 Hendrix albums (most of which I don't have) STUCK on 99.57% complete. It's been stuck on the for almost two days now and it's driving me crazy! There's 1.800 GB's downloaded and only 8 MB's left, why does it have to torture me like this!!!!

Edit: Favorite cover of his has to be either Mannish Boy off the Blues album(that song never gets old to me) or Woodstock's Star Spangled Banner :p:

johnny_tapia
03-10-2008, 08:33 AM
AAAHHHH!! I have a 1.808 GB torrent of 19 Hendrix albums (most of which I don't have) STUCK on 99.57% complete. It's been stuck on the for almost two days now and it's driving me crazy! There's 1.800 GB's downloaded and only 8 MB's left, why does it have to torture me like this!!!!

Edit: Favorite cover of his has to be either Mannish Boy off the Blues album(that song never gets old to me) or Woodstock's Star Spangled Banner :p:
I hate torrents :p:

And his version of Mannish Boy is brilliant :)

Pretty PinkPony
03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I hate torrents :p:

And his version of Mannish Boy is brilliant :)

I agree, on both comments. ;)

The first time I heard Mannish Boy I couldn't get that little guitar riff in the chorus out of my head for days, and the song has stuck with me ever since.

I have come to the conclusion Shareaza SUCKS. First the 1.808 GB torrent stopped at 99.57% and unfortunately I had to cancel it because it stayed there for about 2 1/2 days, and then I tried downloading the Electric Ladyland Outtakes torrent and the same thing happened, except this time it was like 99.80-something % done. ...If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

On a happier note, is anyone else here obsessed with Takin' Care of No Business? It's just a "feel-good" song to me, even if the lyrics aren't that happy. It's fun to perform too :peace:

MrJayremmie
03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
After thinkin' about my favorite covers, i've decided i have quite a few.

All Along the Watchtower
Like a Rolling Stone
Wild Thing
Johnny B. Goode

there were a couple more, but i totally spaced. I long his covers because his interpretation of them is so awesome. All Along the Watchtower is just a perfect example. Normal people's minds don't take that song and turn it into what Jimi did, his version is insane. I love it...

Anyway, i'm watching live at Montery, and learning every single lick he plays. He was 100% on with his improv on that concert. Its a thing of beauty when that happens.

johnny_tapia
03-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Anyway, i'm watching live at Montery, and learning every single lick he plays. He was 100% on with his improv on that concert. Its a thing of beauty when that happens.
I love watching that gig :D

BrainDamage
03-10-2008, 04:14 PM
was talking 'bout jimi lmao. But i might have a listen anyway :P You were. We weren't.

sinan90
03-10-2008, 05:44 PM

It was a single but it was released as part of the Are You experienced? album in the recent releases. It might be on Smash Hits originally album wise, but I never got that, I already had the tracks on it.

johnny_tapia
03-10-2008, 05:46 PM
It was a single but it was released as part of the Are You experienced? album in the recent releases. It might be on Smash Hits originally album wise, but I never got that, I already had the tracks on it.
I have just checked and it is on my AYE album. It is a re-release :)

johnny_tapia
03-10-2008, 05:59 PM
http://chronicton.myminicity.com/ind

http://chronicton.myminicity.com/tra

http://chronicton.myminicity.com/
What the hell is this?

Kartman
03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I think Jimi owns Johnny B. Goode, but that's just me.

johnny_tapia
03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
I'd agree. His version was brilliant :D

MrJayremmie
03-11-2008, 01:01 PM

definitely. He makes it so entertaining also. That song and wild thing are great, entertaining covers.

Highbinder
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I like his covers of Born Under A Bad Sign, and Catfish Blues

All Along the Watchtower is my fav of his 'covers recognized to be covers' covers, tho.

/e: I got a question seeing as we're talking about covers: Who does your favourite Hendrix cover? Personally I'd have to go with Pearl Jam doing Yellow Ledbetter / Little Wing back to back.

MrJayremmie
03-11-2008, 01:52 PM
^hmm, my favorite one, is tough.

I like SRV's little wing, lol....

And Mayer's Bold as love is cool..

I like the chili's crosstown traffic and the chili's castles made of sand.

100Roy001
03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
I got his 3 main albums today!
Are you Experienced?
Axis: Bold As Love
Electric Ladyland

I personally like the first one the most as an album. The other two (especially Ladyland) contain better songs but they have some pointless tracks like EXP or And the Gods Made Love... what do u guys think?

sam i am
03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Are you Experienced?
Electric Ladyland

I personally like the first one the most as an album. The other two (especially Ladyland) contain better songs but they have some pointless tracks like EXP or And the Gods Made Love... what do u guys think?

EXP: Mitch's voice is so funny!

Kartman
03-11-2008, 11:47 PM
^hmm, my favorite one, is tough.

I like SRV's little wing, lol....

And Mayer's Bold as love is cool..

I like the chili's crosstown traffic and the chili's castles made of sand.
I really, really don't like SRV's Little Wing. At all. I honestly think he ruined it. I love SRV, but he shouldn't do a Hendrix cover unless he includes vocals, such as his righteous cover of Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

psychodelia
03-11-2008, 11:54 PM
SRV's Little Wing takes too many choruses for soloing (if I remember his version correctly). My old band would do the vocals, and the other lead player would want to trade 4-10 choruses with me, it was just too much :( I think only 2-3 choruses of soloing on that song are necessary.

johnny_tapia
03-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Some of those pointless tracks really annoy me :p:
I really, really don't like SRV's Little Wing. At all. I honestly think he ruined it. I love SRV, but he shouldn't do a Hendrix cover unless he includes vocals, such as his righteous cover of Voodoo Child (Slight Return).
I didn't mind the fact that he missed out the vocals, but 8 mins is a bit too long for that song :(
SRV's Little Wing takes too many choruses for soloing (if I remember his version correctly). My old band would do the vocals, and the other lead player would want to trade 4-10 choruses with me, it was just too much :( I think only 2-3 choruses of soloing on that song are necessary.
Yep. It's just too much. A 3 or 4 minute version of the same kind of thing would have been so much better :)

MrJayremmie
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM

i definitely know what you mean. I agree kinda. I just think its so beautiful, the licks he uses and his tone and all that is gorgeous. Probably one of my top 10 guitar songs ever.

johnny_tapia
03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I just think its so beautiful, the licks he uses and his tone and all that is gorgeous.
Agreed :)

MrJayremmie
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Dang, Jimi's solo on Izabella at Woodstock is just sick as hell!!! Its just perfect...

BrainDamage
03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
SRV's Little Wing takes too many choruses for soloing (if I remember his version correctly). My old band would do the vocals, and the other lead player would want to trade 4-10 choruses with me, it was just too much :( I think only 2-3 choruses of soloing on that song are necessary. Meanwhile Hendrix's Little Wing was cut too short.

R.I.P.Jimi
03-12-2008, 09:37 PM
yes, much too short.

Highbinder
03-13-2008, 02:45 AM
Are you Experienced?
Electric Ladyland

Give it a bit longer, dude. If you've only had them a day you've not had a chance to let the albums sink in. They're well crafted as a whole and IMO (even tho I dislike some songs) there aren't any pointless tracks.

100Roy001
03-13-2008, 08:50 AM
^ You're probably right. I always need to listen quite a few times before I start to appreciate music. Current favorites are:
1983, Voodoo Chile, Come On, Bold As Love, and Stone Free.
Those are quite underrated.

johnny_tapia
03-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Meanwhile Hendrix's Little Wing was cut too short.
That is very true.

metallicaPOOS
03-13-2008, 01:18 PM
if 6 was 9 is a really good tune. and i absolutely love his version of all along the watchtower.

MrJayremmie
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
^yea, probably my favorite song ever!

CatchTheRhythm
03-13-2008, 11:58 PM
How about Band of Gypsys?!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats my favorite Hendrix, man.
I like Power of love, its a kick ass tight and rocking tune.
I also like Changes, Spanish Castle Magic, Wait until tomorrow, Stone free, Highway Chile but i also think each of his tunes has something thats that makes it totally kicks ass.

:daisy:

nedavis
03-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Electric Ladyland - best album if you listen to it as a whole... in its entirety.
Experienced? - My favorite tracks
Axis - best thing ever recorded

johnny_tapia
03-14-2008, 11:14 AM
How about Band of Gypsys?!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats my favorite Hendrix, man.
I still don't have that album! I need it really badly, but I have no money at the moment :(

MrJayremmie
03-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Band of Gypsys album is sick

R.I.P.Jimi
03-15-2008, 04:40 PM
true dat lol.

MrJayremmie
03-15-2008, 08:28 PM
^your jimi pic, is the same i have for my youtube channel background.

I love that performance. The whole concert is great, but i think i like his woodstock concert better, even though i like his setlist from Monterey better.

I love Wild Thing, that is jimi at his best, imo. When he plays great rhythm and really does his tricks to entertain, imo is his best. Better than his leads.

But the Izabella solo at Woodstock is awesome, imo. :)

Pretty PinkPony
03-16-2008, 12:31 PM
lately i can't get enough of the song "tax free". i think it's on the war heroes cd. it's an amazing song, i could just imagine how much better it would've been if he was alive to finish it completely. anyways, what are your guys favorite songs released after his death(or just any song not released on AYE?, A:BAL, EL, or BOG)

MrJayremmie
03-16-2008, 05:40 PM
^sweet.

So, yesterday i went and bought the movie "Hendrix" off Amazon. It is a movie, not just a documentary, i heard some bad stuff about it, but a while ago, i watched it on VH1, well a very little piece of it, like 15 minutes, and i really liked it. Hopefully it comes this week, i can't wait to watch it.

I've been watching the Jimi Hendrix Documentary lately. Its really good, very informative, and it cuts out to his performances from like Monterey and different places. very awesome. They interview ppl like Beck, Clapton, his GF, His Dad, Billy Cox and a lot more. They also show clips from that awesome interview he did with that one guy, i forget the name. The white guy, it was a pretty epic interview. I love hendrix more every time i learn something new about him.

johnny_tapia
03-16-2008, 05:54 PM
So, yesterday i went and bought the movie "Hendrix" off Amazon. It is a movie, not just a documentary, i heard some bad stuff about it, but a while ago, i watched it on VH1, well a very little piece of it, like 15 minutes, and i really liked it. Hopefully it comes this week, i can't wait to watch it.

Let us know how it is :)

MrJayremmie
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
^i will. I know its about like his early life playin' guitar, and how he was struggling tryin' to make it. And people just didn't let him play his style, with feedback and flashy playing and stuff. Very entertaining. Had drug use and all that good stuff. I enjoyed it from what i saw.

Some of the bad stuff they said were that the movie over-dramatized lots of stuff. That if you already know about Hendrix you won't learn anything more from the movie (which i don't care cuz i'm not watchin' it like a documentary to learn, its for entertainment) and that it was made on a low budget (which i didn't notice, so thats a good thing).

Have any of you watched any Hendrix documentaries? they are pretty good. Very informative. I love watching other guitarists talk about Hendrix, and his bandmates.

Pretty PinkPony
03-18-2008, 07:38 PM
^ I have the one called just "Jimi Hendrix" It has the infamous clip of his 12-string rendition of Hear my Train a-Comin' (i would've paid for the dvd just for that) and Ihave the Band of Gypsies dvd which is kinda like half documentary- half concert but they're both really good.

BrainDamage
03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
^^As poor as the quality of the Band of Gypsys DVD is (it's definitely watchable, but it's not what you'd expect from an officially released concert film), it's worth it to have video from that performance.

Thefallofman
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
^^As poor as the quality of the Band of Gypsys DVD is (it's definitely watchable, but it's not what you'd expect from an officially released concert film), it's worth it to have video from that performance.
With all the Hendrix concert DVDs out, it's hard to expect fantastic quality from all of them. I'll be honest though... I didn't even know there was a DVD from that performance! :o

Not-perfect video quality doesn't necessarily make it something that isn't awesome though- I mean look at Neil Young's Massey Hall DVD.

johnny_tapia
03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
^ I have the one called just "Jimi Hendrix" It has the infamous clip of his 12-string rendition of Hear my Train a-Comin' (i would've paid for the dvd just for that)
Nice. I shall have to look for that one :)

Bornlivedie UK
03-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Nice. I shall have to look for that one :)

It's up on YouTube

johnny_tapia
03-19-2008, 10:21 AM
It's up on YouTube
The whole thing? Or just that song?

MrJayremmie
03-19-2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJS8Z6dZWNQ

part 1, johnny. :)

BrainDamage
03-19-2008, 03:45 PM
With all the Hendrix concert DVDs out, it's hard to expect fantastic quality from all of them. I'll be honest though... I didn't even know there was a DVD from that performance! :o

Not-perfect video quality doesn't necessarily make it something that isn't awesome though- I mean look at Neil Young's Massey Hall DVD. Oh I know, I still think the Band of Gypsys performances were some of the best ever, and I love watching the video, but the filming reminds me of a bootleg video. Being able to watch Hendrix tear up Machine Gun regardless of the quality is a great, great thing :p:

FiliphSlim
03-19-2008, 11:50 PM
So I went into the Classic Rock forum and did not see a thread like this one. So I did a search, swear to god I must have looked through ten pages of search results, but no Hendrix thread. So here we are, just chat away.

Schysst med en svensk här!

FiliphSlim
03-19-2008, 11:57 PM
The biography of him by Charles R. Cross was really good, I really enjoyed reading that one actually...

Yeah, me too. It was nice! Finished it yesterday... :golfclap:

johnny_tapia
03-20-2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJS8Z6dZWNQ

part 1, johnny. :)
Thanks for the link :cheers:

I have seen that before somewhere though. Fillmore DVD maybe?

R.I.P.Jimi
03-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah, that's it i think...

jimmyjimjim
03-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Oh I know, I still think the Band of Gypsys performances were some of the best ever, and I love watching the video, but the filming reminds me of a bootleg video. Being able to watch Hendrix tear up Machine Gun regardless of the quality is a great, great thing :p:

I think right now that Band of Gypsys is my favorite Hendrix album. I really think his solos are the finest he's ever done. I really would have loved to hear any of his jams with Miles Davis; it would have been like Band of Gypsys on magical acid.

Luke's sabbath
03-21-2008, 01:22 AM
i read a bio on Hendrix a little while back and apparently he didn't like the way his voice sounded when he sang?

Luke's sabbath
03-21-2008, 01:23 AM
I think right now that Band of Gypsys is my favorite Hendrix album. I really think his solos are the finest he's ever done. I really would have loved to hear any of his jams with Miles Davis; it would have been like Band of Gypsys on magical acid.

that version of machine gun is intense. That was teh first time i heard that particular song, couldn't get over it man. Live at Berkley has a version of it but not near as good.

johnny_tapia
03-21-2008, 11:45 AM
i read a bio on Hendrix a little while back and apparently he didn't like the way his voice sounded when he sang?
I heard that too. I like his voice :)

MrJayremmie
03-21-2008, 05:25 PM
^same.

sam i am
03-21-2008, 05:28 PM

it's not what you'd call "a great voice" but it fits his songs perfectly... i wouldn't want it any other way

johnny_tapia
04-03-2008, 10:10 AM
it's not what you'd call "a great voice" but it fits his songs perfectly... i wouldn't want it any other way
I think it is a great voice. He wasn't technically a great singer though :)

sam i am
04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I think it is a great voice. He wasn't technically a great singer though :)

well yeah that's what i meant

johnny_tapia
04-03-2008, 10:27 AM
well yeah that's what i meant
I know, I was just trying to bump the thread :p:

marssox
04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
so im trying to impress my dad he loves hendrix
i want to learn a good song im not really the hendrix style so ill ask you.
i need one song that'll be entertaing for him as well as challenging for me
i was thinking castles made of sand but the reverse tapping in that is kinda intimidating to me. so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

sam i am
04-03-2008, 04:15 PM
so im trying to impress my dad he loves hendrix
i want to learn a good song im not really the hendrix style so ill ask you.
i need one song that'll be entertaing for him as well as challenging for me
i was thinking castles made of sand but the reverse tapping in that is kinda intimidating to me. so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

purple haze? It's a nice one to groove to

marssox
04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
^^thanks man

johnny_tapia
04-03-2008, 07:57 PM
purple haze? It's a nice one to groove to
Good choice. Also Fire and Hey Joe. Both easy but sound good :)

voodoo_ash
04-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Hendrix Is God!!!

jfarewell
04-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Hendrix is not god. As far as I know anyway haha. He is definitely great for showing us how electric guitar should be played, but when it comes to actual skill the "greatest" guitar player is probably some session musician. They have to know how to play everything!

johnny_tapia
04-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Hendrix is not god. As far as I know anyway haha. He is definitely great for showing us how electric guitar should be played, but when it comes to actual skill the "greatest" guitar player is probably some session musician. They have to know how to play everything!
I don't really think that the 'greatest' and the most 'technically efficient' guitarists are the same thing. I believe that Jimi was the 'greatest', but no one could claim that he was the most techincally brilliant player ever :)

Thefallofman
04-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't really think that the 'greatest' and the most 'technically efficient' guitarists are the same thing. I believe that Jimi was the 'greatest', but no one could claim that he was the most techincally brilliant player ever :)
Very true. I almost replied and said that a while back... but then I thought "nah, I've already said this a hundred times and I'll just end up saying it a hundred more".

Bling Dogg
04-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I agree. Being the greatest isn't based only on technique.

To me Hendrix is the greatest, and it seems he probably always will be. I love every single song he made, and out of the dozens and dozens of albums/bootlegs I have of his work, there isn't one song I hate. I can listen to his whole collection without wanting to skip any songs. There isn't any other artist besides him that I can say that about.

Is_6_9?
04-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Does anybody else have Rainbow Bridge DVD? The plotlines hard to follow, but its got wicked live footage of him.

Mental-lica
04-08-2008, 03:21 AM
I have his woodstock video from 1970. It am pure wank!

Swat Man
04-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Hendrix came back as oprah winfrey to get his money

Kartman
04-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I have his woodstock video from 1970. It am pure wank!
:confused:
What?

Bling Dogg
04-08-2008, 07:03 PM
^lol :p:

Kartman
04-08-2008, 07:12 PM
:(

johnny_tapia
04-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Does anybody else have Rainbow Bridge DVD? The plotlines hard to follow, but its got wicked live footage of him.
Yeah I have it. I skipped to the footage of Jimi though :p:
Hendrix came back as oprah winfrey to get his money
:haha
:(
;)

Bling Dogg
04-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I've had the Rainbow Bridge DVD for about a year now, but still haven't watched the movie. I only looked at Jimi's performance. It was a really great concert, with a clear picture and pretty good filming. Too bad there wasn't a full video-recording of the concert.

johnny_tapia
04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I've had the Rainbow Bridge DVD for about a year now, but still haven't watched the movie. I only looked at Jimi's performance. It was a really great concert, with a clear picture and pretty good filming. Too bad there wasn't a full video-recording of the concert.
I especially like the version of Hey Baby from that show :D

Kartman
04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
^I'm not a fan of that song in general to be honest.

By the way, I just got Jimi Blues, and to be honest, it gets a little bit old, although I do love Born Under A Bad Sign and Catfish Blues.

I :heart: his wah-ing.

johnny_tapia
04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
^I'm not a fan of that song in general to be honest.

By the way, I just got Jimi Blues, and to be honest, it gets a little bit old, although I do love Born Under A Bad Sign and Catfish Blues.

I :heart: his wah-ing.
That's actually one of my favourite Jimi songs :p:

And I have that album too. Some brilliant stuff on there :)

sam i am
04-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Electric Church Red House ftw

Olipticle
04-12-2008, 07:30 PM
My heart goes out to jimi and the band they have done so much for me and my music that they'll never know about. Keep the faith!

Walk on Jimi... Walk on

johnny_tapia
04-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Hmmmm. I have just found out that I have two copies of the Blues album for some reason :p:

Highbinder
04-15-2008, 04:30 AM
Anyone know where I can get the tab for Voodoo chile when he echos what he sings with the guitar at the start? Like on the Freak Out Blues album. All I can find is Voodoo Child tabs, which is obv a completely different song..

pwninator123
04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
i think Hey Joe is the only song by him i like

a bit overrated

donleejr
04-15-2008, 08:17 PM
simply the best, the master of it all, I have studio jams that didnt surface until after his departure, unfreakin believable. all I can say to those who only know what radio chose to play is,, dude,, dig deeper.

TheHeartbreaker
04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
simply the best, the master of it all, I have studio jams that didnt surface until after his departure, unfreakin believable. all I can say to those who only know what radio chose to play is,, dude,, dig deeper.

I agree.

There is no doubt that The Experience songs that you hear on the radio are great, but I agree that people need to "dig deeper" into their (as well as other bands that Jimi Hendrix was in) music.

Posthumous albums such as First Rays of the New Rising Sun and South Saturn Delta are among my favorite Mr. Hendrix's discography, but I also really enjoy Electric Ladyland ("1983...A Mermaid I Should Turn To Be", for instance).

Cptbeefheart
04-15-2008, 08:51 PM
^I think the "Blues" record is the best example of what Hendrix was really about. Just pure musical ability focused into blues jams.

johnny_tapia
04-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Posthumous albums such as First Rays of the New Rising Sun and South Saturn Delta are among my favorite Mr. Hendrix's discography, but I also really enjoy Electric Ladyland ("1983...A Mermaid I Should Turn To Be", for instance).
I love the First Rays album aswell. One of my favourite Jimi records :)

sam i am
04-16-2008, 03:03 PM

FROTNRS is my favourite hendrix album

Bling Dogg
04-16-2008, 07:43 PM
nearly all my favorite songs are ones by Jimi Hendrix, and I don't think I can pick a favorite album. But even though I love all the songs on his three albums, I like his posthumous FROTNRS and South Saturn Delta the best. so many good songs like "My friend", "message to love", "power of soul", "Ezy Ryder", "hey baby", "Earth blues", etc..

johnny_tapia
04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
^ Hey Baby is possibly my favourite Hendrix track :)

On a side note, I finally got the Electric Ladyland tab book today :cool:

Erwin Beltz
04-18-2008, 09:25 AM
The soul Jimi Hendrix could put into his music, is epic.
I downloaded a discography a while ago, with over 13 hours of Jimi Hendrix songs, and I just keep listening to it.
My favourite songs are probably Little Wing and Hey Baby, they just grab me and take me away to another place

johnny_tapia
04-18-2008, 10:55 AM
My favourite songs are probably Little Wing and Hey Baby, they just grab me and take me away to another place
Those are two of my favourite Hendrix songs aswell.

I love watching Hey Joe from Monterey. Two guitar solos, one with his teeth and one behind his head :cool:

Thursdae
04-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Those are two of my favourite Hendrix songs aswell.

I love watching Hey Joe from Monterey. Two guitar solos, one with his teeth and one behind his head :cool:

My god I've never seen that before. That solo with his teeth is ****ing unbelievable. I guess I'll have to get a hold of the rest of his performances from Monterey.

johnny_tapia
04-19-2008, 09:37 AM
My god I've never seen that before. That solo with his teeth is ****ing unbelievable. I guess I'll have to get a hold of the rest of his performances from Monterey.
Yeah it is unreal. You can get the whole show on DVD for quite cheap by the way :)

zaydn
04-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Some of my favorite Jimi Hendrix songs are Fire, If 6 Was 9, and I like his remake of Sunshine of Your love.

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree. Being the greatest isn't based only on technique.

To me Hendrix is the greatest, and it seems he probably always will be. I love every single song he made, and out of the dozens and dozens of albums/bootlegs I have of his work, there isn't one song I hate. I can listen to his whole collection without wanting to skip any songs. There isn't any other artist besides him that I can say that about.

hendrix is definitely not the greatest...give me three good solid reasons why you would classify him as the greatest...do you mean he was "fun" to listen to? he was definitely not even close to being the most technically skilled player...not even close...it seems as if the younger generations here are just liking hendrix because of his legacy and what he meant to people during the late 60's early 70's...there is a lot more to music then meets the eye...not just an electric guitar and a heavily distorted amp...i mean the man may have used an acoustic guitar three times in his whole career...and only one of those songs made it to an album...he can't sing...i never seen him play any other instruments...his lyrics definitely struggle...just because he was the main attraction at woodstock or because he took britain by storm does not make him the greatest...he is a legend...but not the greatest...

johnny_tapia
04-19-2008, 03:21 PM
hendrix is definitely not the greatest...give me three good solid reasons why you would classify him as the greatest...do you mean he was "fun" to listen to? he was definitely not even close to being the most technically skilled player...not even close...it seems as if the younger generations here are just liking hendrix because of his legacy and what he meant to people during the late 60's early 70's...there is a lot more to music then meets the eye...not just an electric guitar and a heavily distorted amp...i mean the man may have used an acoustic guitar three times in his whole career...and only one of those songs made it to an album...he can't sing...i never seen him play any other instruments...his lyrics definitely struggle...just because he was the main attraction at woodstock or because he took britain by storm does not make him the greatest...he is a legend...but not the greatest...
You obviously know nothing. Being the "greatest ever" has nothing to do with being the "best ever". :rolleyes:

Thursdae
04-19-2008, 03:29 PM

Umm.. he was actually considered one of the most techinically skilled players.. of his time. The man could play lead and rhythm simultaneously.. something I haven't heard outside of Hendrix. And there is more to music than meets the eye.. it's what meets the ear that matters. If a man can use "just an electric guitar and an amplifier" (not to mention a studio) and make music that lives on for 40 years.. I'd say that's something special. About the acoustic guitar.. listen to Hear My Train A-Comin' acoustic, nuff said. And he would play bass, all the guitar parts, some if not all drums, among other random noises he would come up with for most of his records cause he was a perfectionist and wanted his music to sound a certain way. Seems like someone is just jealous.

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 03:45 PM
ok yeh i'm jealous haha...you definitely have me figured out there buddy...one acoustic song...that's not going to cut it sorry...provide a reliable link to him being one of the most technical guitar players of his time, not some bull**** link of a hendrix fan club...as for the rhythm and lead...there are lots of artists outside hendrix in the current generation who can do that not to mention in the 70's and 80's...you obviously haven't done your research...bottom line is weather it's music to your ears or music to your eyes...both seem to amaze us...what would hendrix have been without his live performances...we would never have seen the soul he was putting into his music... his expressions etc...hear my train a coming...have you ever studied the music behind that song...its one of the most basic writings ever and that's fine but it makes the whole thing about him questionable...some of the explanations backing you people up here are really weak...i guess no one can really come up with a good reason...and thats fine...as long as you like him your happy...and that's all that matters to you...

johnny_tapia
04-19-2008, 03:49 PM
ok yeh i'm jealous haha...you definitely have me figured out there buddy...one acoustic song...that's not going to cut it sorry...provide a reliable link to him being one of the most technical guitar players of his time, not some bull**** link of a hendrix fan club...as for the rhythm and lead...there are lots of artists outside hendrix in the current generation who can do that not to mention in the 70's and 80's...you obviously haven't done your research...bottom line is weather it's music to your ears or music to your eyes...both seem to amaze us...what would hendrix have been without his live performances...we would never have seen the soul he was putting into his music... his expressions etc...hear my train a coming...have you ever studied the music behind that song...its one of the most basic writings ever and that's fine but it makes the whole thing about him questionable...some of the explanations backing you people up here are really weak...i guess no one can really come up with a good reason...and thats fine...as long as you like him your happy...and that's all that matters to you...
No one is trying to say that he is the greatest technical guitarist of his time or ever.

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 03:52 PM
did you not read anything here...what the hell are you talking about...

Thursdae
04-19-2008, 03:58 PM

^^ I am. I need no link to prove it either.. listen to any music before hendrix.. and you will hear no greater playing. I'd like to hear who you think was greater before he was. I don't get what point you're trying to make by saying he'd be nothing without his live performances... because that's pretty much the case with any band. His live improvisations are also some of the most incredible displays of guitar playing up to that point.. which is proven by his sudden explosion of popularity after his first American performance. Yes, musically, Hear My Train A-Comin' is a simple song.. as are most of his songs. This doesn't make them any worse for being simple. Simplicity in music means catchy songs, and.. while soloing, greater possibilities for places to go, which is what that song does. Who comes into a Hendrix thread flaming him and isn't looking to just make himself feel better by trying to put himself above Jimi?

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 04:02 PM
so you're saying that he is the greatest and now you're saying he is is not...you all have to get your facts straight...bottom line is that he sucks.

johnny_tapia
04-19-2008, 04:06 PM
so you're saying that he is the greatest and now you're saying he is is not...you all have to get your facts straight...bottom line is that he sucks.
You need to grow up. Hendrix had a massive influence on almost every guitar player since his time. Therefore he is great.

Thursdae
04-19-2008, 04:10 PM

I'd like to think you're just trolling at this point.. otherwise please point out where I said he wasn't the greatest of his time in my previous post.. please :confused:

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Who comes into a Hendrix thread flaming him and isn't looking to just make himself feel better by trying to put himself above Jimi?

why would i try to put myself ahead of hendrix...he is the greatest in your eyes...that's what this seem to be...you're going to have to realize that not everyone is as narrow minded as you...not everyone likes hendrix...not everyone will...there is no good reason why he would be the greatest...you can't provide any good reason and neither can the last 70 pages of this thread...therefore a conclusion is drawn that hmmmm...maybe he's not...

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 04:14 PM
No one is trying to say that he is the greatest technical guitarist of his time or ever.

what does this mean then?

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 04:15 PM
i know its not you but it seems pretty apparent to me

johnny_tapia
04-19-2008, 04:17 PM
What the hell are you talking about ? :confused:

Also, there is an edit function :rolleyes:

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
What the hell are you talking about ? :confused:

Also, there is an edit function :rolleyes:

no wtf are you talking about...you say something that you realized was stupid to say then you try to say oops...edit function...

johnny_tapia
04-19-2008, 04:25 PM
no wtf are you talking about...you say something that you realized was stupid to say then you try to say oops...edit function...
Can I just ask, what are you trying to say? And please don't reply with a wall of text.

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Can I just ask, what are you trying to say? And please don't reply with a wall of text.

ok here it is in simple parts...

Thursdae says:

I'd like to think you're just trolling at this point.. otherwise please point out where I said he wasn't the greatest of his time in my previous post.. please :confused:

then i quoted what johnny_tapia said on page 70

which was using johnny_tapia's quote to show Thursdae how you guys are contradicting yourselves...and don't say you're not because you are

and i added

"what does this mean then?"

and i added again

i know its not you but it seems pretty apparent to me

you = Thursdae

since it was pretty apparent that me and him were talking to each other at that particular moment in time.

SomeEvilDude
04-19-2008, 04:37 PM
tenyrsgon: I'm reporting you, simply because you're being dumbtarded for no reason.

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 04:40 PM
if you don't understand i can't help you man...

one person said he was one of the greatest...another is saying he is the greatest...and another one replies with "no one said he was the greatest"...is that no contradictory not to mention confusing?

johnny_tapia
04-19-2008, 04:41 PM
tenyrsgon: I'm reporting you, simply because you're being dumbtarded for no reason.
Good.

Hendrix was great, but no one says that he was technically the best.

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 04:42 PM

that's fine...you report someone for having viewpoints...last time i checked that's what a thread was for...opinionated people...i will report you for being a biased voice in a place that is kept running by opinion...

SomeEvilDude
04-19-2008, 04:56 PM
that's fine...you report someone for having viewpoints...last time i checked that's what a thread was for...opinionated people...i will report you for being a biased voice in a place that is kept running by opinion...

If you wanted to argue a point, that's fine.

What you're doing, is attacking other posters and completely ignoring other people's opinions, while attempting to forcefeed your view down everybody elses throats. I don't think Hendrix was the greatest, I don't think he is the greatest. Frankly, I don't care. It's a stupid argument that's been done time and time again and cannot be proven or disproven.

Nobody. Cares. But if you want to persist in arguing, then at least:

a) be somewhat more polite about it
b) please, please use some semblance of proper spelling, grammar and punctuation
c) don't bash the people you're arguing with
d) don't double/triple post
e) be clear about what you're saying and who you're saying it to

tenyrsgon
04-19-2008, 05:01 PM
i disagree...you are wrong on this one...

sam i am
04-19-2008, 06:06 PM
What the hell has happend to this thread?

Tenyrsgon:
1) Greatest is subjective. Someone here says that to them, Hendrix is the best. You obviously don't think that. You are two different people. This is normal.
2) Best =/= most technically skilled.
3) Using "..." in between every sentance is not an adequate replacment for paragraphs.

BrainDamage
04-19-2008, 07:34 PM
i disagree...you are wrong on this one... Actually, he's not. I agree with SomeEvilDude, and since I have the power to do so, tenyrsgon has earned himself a warning.

pwninator123
04-19-2008, 07:45 PM
i'd like to point out that Hendrix NEVER played with his teeth, he held the guitar up to his face and hammered on all the notes, he just made it look like he played with his teeth, but he just tapped that part

PieMonger
04-19-2008, 10:06 PM
this probably isn't the best use of a first post on a forum, but...

this generation of would-be guitarists tend to misunderstand hendrix quite devastatingly, and it's not a very comforting thing to see.

for one thing, I'm not sure if hendrix developed his technique to the level that one would see from say, satch. I think people agree upon this. however, anyone who has heard jimi's killing floor would be daft to say that he couldn't flail as well as the next obnoxious virtuoso. little wing isn't exactly a walk in the park either.

that doesn't matter though. technique only serves as an asset in composing the final product, it is not the final product in and of itself. that's really what needs to be understood from the beginning.

jimi was the greatest because his understanding of the electric guitar elevated it to a level beyond that of simply an amplified version of an acoustic. he made that clear to everyone - with a little help from eric clapton and jeff beck, maybe, and through that broke the mold for everyone else to follow.

unfortunately this is where the lack of a deep understanding among most people begins, because often what is said is that hendrix was only good "for his time." this isn't true. not only did jimi define the electric guitar as it is today, he also wielded it at a level of mastery that no human being has ever touched. his understanding of how it should be used to compose music goes beyond all comprehension.

what do I mean? I assume tenyrsgon has heard the track voodoo child (slight return), and if not then he obviously hasn't listened to enough hendrix to say anything about him in the first place. the entire song is basically hendrix whalloping on an e major chord with some flourishes here and there and playing off the e minor pentatonic. it's almost stupidly simple. but it puts the utilities of the electric guitar to perfect use. the wah usage, the fuzz face, the placement and execution of his solos, it's all utterly perfect. he takes a composition that theoretically is very simple and turns it into a masterpiece. he does it through an unparalleled mastery of effects and a feel for the instrument that can't be equalled. go listen to it. voodoo child is a representation of why jimi is and always will be the best. it wasn't just that he was a virtuoso. he UNDERSTOOD and FELT the instrument on an inhuman level - it goes beyond music theory and into a more abstract realm. any famous guitarist worth their **** kisses jimi's ass every time he's brought up, and there's a reason for that. jimi's execution of voodoo child and his other great songs are that reason. it's about the understanding, not the technique.

Hcmanu
04-19-2008, 10:10 PM
+1

People only see 'Skills' for being a virtuose.

You are a vistuose when u ARE the guitar.

Is_6_9?
04-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Could anybody tell me who sings backup vocals on the song 'Fire'? This kept me awake last night, and wikipedia has failed me :\

Thursdae
04-20-2008, 12:50 AM
^^ Erm.. any proof to that statement? I'm pretty sure I can hear that "teeth playing" sound of a higher note of the teeth hitting the string where the pickups are then the fingered note. Clearly he hammer/pulleo ff most of the notes, but he definitely also played the first notes of that with his teeth.

And to the troll earlier... I was not speaking for the whole thread, as I only really just joined the thread a post before I replied to your post. I argue he was the best of his time, you say I then contradicted myself by taking someone else's post as my own, then just kept making **** up. Of all the thread I've been in I've never really seen anyone argue their "point" by changing people's opinions around to fit their own, then combining a whole thread's posts against your own and attempting to imply that a thread is contradicting itself... it's completely silly. All I can really say is "meh".

EDIT: I'm a dumbass and didn't look at the next page.. I was originally replying to the guy who said something about hendrix never playing with his teeth.

Also, in the EDIT... is a reply to Pie monger. I definitely agree with what you've said. I kind of take the part about "people misunderstanding him by saying he was only good for his time" etc. about me. I didn't say he was only good for his time... I said he was simply the best of his time. This doesn't downplay what he is still today.. as I still think he is unmatched in much of his playing. Sorry if you weren't really directing that towards me or others who may have been misunderstood as I may have been.

pwninator123
04-20-2008, 12:54 AM
^^ Erm.. any proof to that statement? I'm pretty sure I can hear that "teeth playing" sound of a higher note of the teeth hitting the string where the pickups are then the fingered note. Clearly he hammer/pulleo ff most of the notes, but he definitely also played the first notes of that with his teeth.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass and didn't look at the next page.. I was originally replying to the guy who said something about hendrix never playing with his teeth.

our music app teacher showed us a clip from a different camera angle, his mouth doesn't touch the guitar....i wish i could find it

Thursdae
04-20-2008, 12:56 AM
our music app teacher showed us a clip from a different camera angle, his mouth doesn't touch the guitar....i wish i could find it

Hmm.. I'd be interested to see that, if you could find it.

pwninator123
04-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Hmm.. I'd be interested to see that, if you could find it.

i'll try, don't get your hopes up though

she LIVES off finding the most obscure things in the world

EDIT: there's a shadow, but if you look closely after the first couple takes, you can see he's pulling back a bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2qRKy36dL4

Thursdae
04-20-2008, 01:09 AM
i'll try, don't get your hopes up though

she LIVES off finding the most obscure things in the world

EDIT: there's a shadow, but if you look closely after the first couple takes, you can see he's pulling back a bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2qRKy36dL4

I think he's pulling back because he's playing with his teeth... you've kind of got to do that when you're playing with your teeth, otherwise you can't get a sound out of it. I'm fairly certain I can hear a sound of when he hits his teeth against the strings, too.. a kind of much-higher-pitched squeak when his teeth would hit. He would definitely use his hammer on/pull offs as much as possible as playing with one's teeth is hard as hell, but I wouldn't decided that he didn't play with his teeth based on just that video or the fact you can see him kind of pulling away from his guitar.

sam i am
04-20-2008, 04:28 AM
Yeah, when he plays with his teeth you get this really biting (lololol) pick attack you defintely couldn't get with hammer-ons.

johnny_tapia
04-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah, when he plays with his teeth you get this really biting (lololol) pick attack you defintely couldn't get with hammer-ons.
This is true.

Bling Dogg
04-20-2008, 02:30 PM
yeah it's a totally different sound when he played with his teeth. even on album that I listened to, without seeing a video, I can hear when he played with his teeth. Like sam i am said, it's a sharp, cutting sound different from normal playing. And I've seen videos with closeups, and you can see his teeth and lips make contact.

johnny_tapia
04-21-2008, 10:41 AM
yeah it's a totally different sound when he played with his teeth. even on album that I listened to, without seeing a video, I can hear when he played with his teeth. Like sam i am said, it's a sharp, cutting sound different from normal playing. And I've seen videos with closeups, and you can see his teeth and lips make contact.
Yeah he definitely did play with his teeth. You can tell by the sound :)

pwninator123
04-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah he definitely did play with his teeth. You can tell by the sound :)

i need to find the video our teacher showed us, its not on youtube :-(

ScarletSpider
04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTP_JyQpl8

A great performance of Foxy Lady from the awful Rainbow Bridge film, go to about 2.30 and their he is playing the fender with his teeth.

chesta2323
04-23-2008, 10:30 AM
doesnt playing with your teeth kind of hurt your teeth after a while

johnny_tapia
04-23-2008, 10:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTP_JyQpl8

A great performance of Foxy Lady from the awful Rainbow Bridge film, go to about 2.30 and their he is playing the fender with his teeth.
That's a cool video. Although the DVD does majorly suck :p:

kenney
04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
We also got to remenber that Jimi payed his due,s along the way.His dayswere short in the lime light of yesteryears,but after woodstock,god he ruled.I think his influnce on all of us still shines today.Ernie isley played a mean sound,and robin trower well you no the rest God bless Jimi ,he,s will allways be missed,at least by this player.

armstrong26491
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Does anyone have the jimi hendrix experience box set?
I'd love to hear people's opinion on it, as to whether its just a cash in on behalf of experience hendrix or an actual worthwhile set of material.

tenyrsgon
04-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Using "..." in between every sentance is not an adequate replacment for paragraphs.

What the hell are you getting on with? Are you some kind of nitpicking son of a B#$CH?

Bling Dogg
04-25-2008, 11:16 PM
^lol, calm down, stop looking for a fight

Bling Dogg
04-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Great "Little Wing" jam. I can't remember if it was posted before, but I love listening to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByN1oHmRVrU

ewp805
04-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Could anybody tell me who sings backup vocals on the song 'Fire'? This kept me awake last night, and wikipedia has failed me :\
Noel did most of the backing vocals, so I'm pretty sure its him.

johnny_tapia
04-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Great "Little Wing" jam. I can't remember if it was posted before, but I love listening to this:
Noice :cool:

5kuzgib
04-29-2008, 05:58 AM

That's-a my vid :) Check my channel for other cool stuff.

frusciantefan91
04-29-2008, 07:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/29/people.hendrixsextape.ap/index.html

Cptbeefheart
04-29-2008, 07:20 PM
^I trust the biographer more than a porn company. I'm sure its just an attempt at publicity.

Bling Dogg
04-29-2008, 07:22 PM
That's-a my vid :) Check my channel for other cool stuff.
cool, I'll check out some more of your stuff.

I wonder if it really is him. Or it's just people trying to make some money

Thursdae
04-29-2008, 07:52 PM

Lamest thing I've ever heard... who cares to see him ****ing even if it does turn out to be him? It's prolly just a publicity stunt, though, just like the Marylin Monroe vid last week that turned out to be BS.

johnny_tapia
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
features Hendrix -- or someone who looks like him
:haha

Blind In 1 Ear
05-11-2008, 11:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-SLuwkKik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UVYcm6DA8

some cool hendrix acoustic jams. no video but the music is cool.

Blind In 1 Ear
05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
i need to find the video our teacher showed us, its not on youtube :-(
he didnt always pick with his teeth. sometimes he'd make it look like he was playing a trill with his tounge. obviously he wasnt though. but he did play with his teeth at times. ive seen videos that show it and you can hear a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1KcI1QQl8A&NR=1

like with this video, you cant really see him that well, but you can hear that the notes are actually being picked.

johnny_tapia
05-12-2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-SLuwkKik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UVYcm6DA8

some cool hendrix acoustic jams. no video but the music is cool.
Awesome. The world needs more acoustic Hendrix! :D

Highbinder
06-04-2008, 04:16 AM
Resurrected.

I want to know if anyone else is a fan of the Like A Rolling Stone on the Bootleg 'With BB King' album? The soft instrumental intro is one of my alltime favourites.

Thursdae
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Resurrected.

I want to know if anyone else is a fan of the Like A Rolling Stone on the Bootleg 'With BB King' album? The soft instrumental intro is one of my alltime favourites.

I haven't heard that bootleg.. haven't even heard of that bootleg, actually... but if it's got Like A Rolling Stone on it I'll have to check it out.. I love Jimi's version of it.

TedE
06-04-2008, 12:18 PM
i got in an argument with someone recently about the experience vs band of gypsys. he insisted band of gypsys was far superior while i find it to be the complete opposite. not to say band of gypsys isn't ri-god-damn-diculously good. anyway. opinions on the matter?

Thursdae
06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Band of Gypsys was a better band.. they just had more skill and a greater possibility of sounds than just a bassist and drummer could produce. The Experience was just a rhythm and bass line behind Jimi, where the Band of Gypsys was a real band alongside Jimi. It's not a question of which you like more, it's a question of who was the better band.. and the Band of Gypsys wins that one, for me.

Ferrarone
06-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Band of Gypsys was a better band.. they just had more skill and a greater possibility of sounds than just a bassist and drummer could produce. The Experience was just a rhythm and bass line behind Jimi, where the Band of Gypsys was a real band alongside Jimi. It's not a question of which you like more, it's a question of who was the better band.. and the Band of Gypsys wins that one, for me.

they were both great but for me, the experience is the only real hendrix band. just listen to fire! mitchell is one of the greatest drummers in history and so is noel redding on bass

BrainDamage
06-04-2008, 04:35 PM
i got in an argument with someone recently about the experience vs band of gypsys. he insisted band of gypsys was far superior while i find it to be the complete opposite. not to say band of gypsys isn't ri-god-damn-diculously good. anyway. opinions on the matter? I think the Band of Gypsys album is one of the greatest live performances ever captured on tape.

Ramblin'_Man
06-04-2008, 05:31 PM
ok i agree overall gypsies was a better band(and personally i prefer their stuff much more), but mitchell was a better drummer than buddy miles(though i prefer miles' playing). but to ferrarone noel was a horrid bassist as far as professional and famous musicians go.

TheHeartbreaker
06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
I think the Band of Gypsys album is one of the greatest live performances ever captured on tape.

Agreed.

It's hard to argue between the two, though, considering that The Band of Gypsys wasn't a very prolonged band. If they had been able to release a couple of studio albums better comparisons could be made.

Highbinder
06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I haven't heard that bootleg.. haven't even heard of that bootleg, actually... but if it's got Like A Rolling Stone on it I'll have to check it out.. I love Jimi's version of it.

Sound quality isn't the best but its incredible. Like A Rolling Stone is the opening track, then its basicly just a long jam session. Awesomeness ensures.

Thefallofman
06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I've got that bootleg, but I think it's called "The King's Jam". Actually there's a link to download it somewhere in this thread, because we were talking about it a couple of months ago. Great jams, and great versions of Like A Rolling Stone and BB's It's My Own Fault.

Bling Dogg
06-04-2008, 09:42 PM
that version of like a rolling stone is my favorite from him (close second is the one at newport). it's a different take on the song compared to his other versions of it, and I like it best.

his monterey performance is the most famous, but I like his other ones like the King's Jam version, Newport, and the 3 or 4 he did at Winterland, a bit more actually.

most of these are on youtube, you can hear them there if you don't have the bootleg.

the rest of the bootleg is pretty good, you should get it if you don't have it

Highbinder
06-04-2008, 09:55 PM
that version of like a rolling stone is my favorite from him (close second is the one at newport). it's a different take on the song compared to his other versions of it, and I like it best.

his monterey performance is the most famous, but I like his other ones like the King's Jam version, Newport, and the 3 or 4 he did at Winterland, a bit more actually.

most of these are on youtube, you can hear them there if you don't have the bootleg.

the rest of the bootleg is pretty good, you should get it if you don't have it

I have to say.. I agree on all points :D

Thursdae
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
ok i agree overall gypsies was a better band(and personally i prefer their stuff much more), but mitchell was a better drummer than buddy miles(though i prefer miles' playing). but to ferrarone noel was a horrid bassist as far as professional and famous musicians go.

That's understandable.. and of course Noel was a horrid bassist.. he didn't even play bass until the audition for the group (or so I read).

And agreed on BrainDamage's point..

and I'll definitely get that bootleg once I get my life sorted together (**** moving and having to live between houses :peace: )

gtrplyr54
06-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I prefer Band of Gypsys to their heavier sound.

lespaulfan101
06-06-2008, 08:07 PM
If y'all guys want another album that's fantastic check out "Jimi Hendrix-By Himself Personal Recordings" They were all recorded by himself (>.>) in his apartment. On one of the tracks you can even hear his telephone ring in the background. ( Which is cool, because it acts as an accidental metronome.) His World Traveler Jam is, by far, my favorite.(Not included on that album though. Just thought I'd bring it up so you guys can check it out.) I have about 15 Gb of Hendrix music, so if any of you want some I can try to hook you up. I also realize that It's probably been mentioned somewhere in these intimidating 75 pages.

5kuzgib
06-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Cool Jimi pictures:

Broken wah:
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2913/kagjhe680545f5b04caeoz4.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8035/kagjhe680590f5b078dfoq4.jpg

Working wah:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6932/kagjhe680580f5b0a6c5wj2.jpg
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2871/kagjhe680570f5b53e00dx7.jpg

Playing Noel's bass upside down:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2065/kagjhe680670f5b1615bcl4.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1651/kagjhe680650f5b11dcagm4.jpg

Recording of South Saturn Delta, with horn section. He's playing a Les Paul junior here:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5540/kagjhe680200f5b0c76coc1.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8850/kagjhe680190f5b6e008ip0.jpg

Writing Gypsy Eyes:
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7108/kagjhe680050f5b6f7b6pf4.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7669/kagjhe680370f5b720e9vf8.jpg

GezzyDiversion
06-07-2008, 04:45 PM
What a god

johnny_tapia
06-08-2008, 11:22 AM
If y'all guys want another album that's fantastic check out "Jimi Hendrix-By Himself Personal Recordings" They were all recorded by himself (>.>) in his apartment. On one of the tracks you can even hear his telephone ring in the background. ( Which is cool, because it acts as an accidental metronome.) His World Traveler Jam is, by far, my favorite.(Not included on that album though. Just thought I'd bring it up so you guys can check it out.) I have about 15 Gb of Hendrix music, so if any of you want some I can try to hook you up. I also realize that It's probably been mentioned somewhere in these intimidating 75 pages.
Upload some of the music yeah? :D

BrainDamage
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
^^Only if it wasn't officially released.

johnny_tapia
06-09-2008, 10:31 AM
^^Only if it wasn't officially released.
Of course. I have most of his officially released stuff anyway :)

lsmigfender
06-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Jimi died a pitiful death just like the old drummer from Led Zep

lsmigfender
06-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Cool Jimi pictures:

Broken wah:
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2913/kagjhe680545f5b04caeoz4.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8035/kagjhe680590f5b078dfoq4.jpg

Working wah:

Recording of South Saturn Delta, with horn section. He's playing a Les Paul junior here:

Writing Gypsy Eyes:

NICE PICS!! u should frame em' sooner or later thier gounna be worth [B][U]ALOT OF MONEY!!!!

Is_6_9?
06-10-2008, 03:39 AM

Awesome :cheers:

TheHeartbreaker
06-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Is it just me, or does Jimi define the word suave?

5kuzgib
06-11-2008, 03:52 PM

Awesome :cheers:

This was from when he was doing an elaborate pre-planned signal to Mitch.

More:
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9830/kagjhe680620f7624ea3ct6.jpg
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9827/kagjhe680630f7626884kq3.jpg
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/887/kagjhe680560f7623acdzn5.jpg

^ I love that shirt :down:

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/474/kagjhe680040f7629d9edr6.jpg

If you didn't notice the watermark, you can see more at www.kramerarchives.com, some even have audio commentaries :)

Bling Dogg
06-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I love Jimi's style of clothes, he always looked so cool the way he dressed

fiztech
06-11-2008, 10:06 PM

sounds like trying to find something that isnt there. its like anything when people have an opinion, seeking to find they are right. fair enough.

if he aint playing with his teeth then he must have a pick in his mouth that he swallows, because there is no way you can make a twang with a hammer or pull off like any of the versions i have seen. yes he plays un picked notes, duh !

if you listen to a few of his teeth playing moments where he has got out of tempo you can simply make your mind up for yourself.

jimi didnt use his teeth? perhaps, do ufo's exist? perhaps, does the lock ness monster exist? make your own mind up.

Thursdae
06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
sounds like trying to find something that isnt there. its like anything when people have an opinion, seeking to find they are right. fair enough.

if he aint playing with his teeth then he must have a pick in his mouth that he swallows, because there is no way you can make a twang with a hammer or pull off like any of the versions i have seen. yes he plays un picked notes, duh !

if you listen to a few of his teeth playing moments where he has got out of tempo you can simply make your mind up for yourself.

jimi didnt use his teeth? perhaps, do ufo's exist? perhaps, does the lock ness monster exist? make your own mind up.

It's really not that big of a deal and not worthy, I think, of this much discussion.. but you're really equating the possibility of Jimi using his teeth with the possibilities of UFOs (which contain aliens, which I assume is what you meant) and the Loch Ness Monster existing? There is video of him clearly using his teeth.. nuff said. Even if he didn't one time, he still did many others which are clearly documented, and that's pretty much the end of it.

TheHeartbreaker
06-13-2008, 12:30 AM
I love Jimi's style of clothes, he always looked so cool the way he dressed

I own a couple of shirts similar to those Jimi would wear, but I can't quite pull them off as well as him. :(

Kartman
06-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Cool Jimi pictures:

Working wah:

Writing Gypsy Eyes:
I LOVE Jimi's shirts... he dressed so greatly...
Thanks for the awesome pics!
:cheers:

Bling Dogg
06-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I own a couple of shirts similar to those Jimi would wear, but I can't quite pull them off as well as him. :(
haha, yeah you're right, somehow he's able to pull it off. I wish I can dress like that and look as cool as he did :o

hendrixfanatic
06-13-2008, 08:30 PM
^ It's all about faith! I feel awesome when I wear an awesome psychedelic flower shirt; so it looks cool! (and if people think the opposite: screw them!)

Kartman
06-14-2008, 12:32 PM
^:cheers:

There's a Nordstrom Rack store by my house that has Jimi Hendrix Experience clothing. Lemme show you it...
Here's one: http://www.globalrebels.com/images/HEW15074-BLU.jpg

Even thought it's $89.00, it's hella cool! :D

5kuzgib
06-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I've just come back from seeing these guys

http://www.myspace.com/jimijonexperienced

They were playing 2 minutes down the road, and they were seriously amazing. They even played bold as love for me when i asked (and did a fantastic job). If they are in your area (UK only I guess) go and see them!!

Unfortunately, there were only about 15 people there to see them (I came specially) so I probably won't see them there again :(

Xguitarprox07
06-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Jimi hendirx plays some strange courds (atleast for the 60's) plus he had giant hands so foxy lady might be hard to play for someone with smaller hands :P

Gnomefry
06-15-2008, 01:01 PM
I heard his large hands were because he had some disease. But does anyone know this for sure? I read it somewhere... Holy crap! I just saw that picture of him playing the bass! He would have been a kickass bassist!!!

Kartman
06-15-2008, 01:15 PM
^I don't think so, he just had unusually large hands. He just got lucky! :p:

Thursdae
06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I heard his large hands were because he had some disease. But does anyone know this for sure? I read it somewhere... Holy crap! I just saw that picture of him playing the bass! He would have been a kickass bassist!!!

I think he played all the bass when the Experience was coming to the end.. cause he wasn't happy with the bass sound Noel was giving him.. and he was a perfectionist.

slidething31
06-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I think you're thinking of Marfan Syndrome.

I never heard of Jimi having it, but Robert Johnson is believed to have had it. That's why he had crazy long fingers.

Bling Dogg
06-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I don't think Jimi had a disease like that. But he did play bass at the end of experience, on several parts of Electric Ladyland album (I can't remember all songs, but he did on All along the watchtower and/or 1983....didn't he, or am I wrong?).

I also think that because of quarrels with Noel and his playing, Noel walked out on some recording sessions so Jimi took over. Move over rover, let Jimi take over! haha

Thefallofman
06-15-2008, 09:06 PM
I dunno about 1983, but he definitely played on Watchtower. It's probably him on 1983 too, though.

Bling Dogg
06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I dunno about 1983, but he definitely played on Watchtower. It's probably him on 1983 too, though.
yeah, that's what I was thinking. I remember reading somewhere it was Watchtower, and a few other tracks but I can't remember the others

Kartman
06-15-2008, 10:12 PM
He definitely played bass on 1983. That bass solo, that's all Jimi.

5kuzgib
06-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah, he played on 1983 and Moon, turn the tides...

About this disease thing, are you thinking of this (http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/dysch.htm) ?

johnny_tapia
06-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I never even knew that Jimi played some bass on that album. You learn something new every day :p:

barangatang
06-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Can I buy a cd version of cry of love? I read somewhere it's rare.

EDIT: I'd also like to say that machine gun from the band of gypsy's live album is the greatest live track in the history of music.

pageisgod493
06-17-2008, 07:05 PM
jimi rules, i hadnt seen that on this page, well here i am

BlueFlames
06-18-2008, 04:43 AM
I think the royal albert hall version of little wing is the best, also very fun to play + cool wah outro.

Ive read alot about Hendrix and it doesnt mension him having a disease atall, just had big hands and crazy hair lol. I dont think having big hands helped him loads though, sure it did some times doing bar chords with pull offs etc but it also could of made it more difficult. I have pretty small hands but I can play loads of them fine.

Hendrix pwns, the band is/was amazing, brilliant at writing lyrics, brilliant at playing guitar, good stage presence. what more could you want? 10/10

xTheVulcan
06-18-2008, 12:42 PM
haha, yeah you're right, somehow he's able to pull it off. I wish I can dress like that and look as cool as he did :o
Well nowadays you'd probably be called a gypsie or something. You know someone's important when they're wearing **** like that haha.

Xguitarprox07
06-22-2008, 09:06 PM
It's funny my guitar teacher started me out with jimi hendrix...the first song i ever played was hey Joe then i learned foxy lady then purple haze :D