Gibson les paul standard VS. les paul supreme ?

PDA

View Full Version : Gibson les paul standard VS. les paul supreme ?

fender&gibson
05-05-2007, 06:40 AM
i've played a standard before and i thought it was an amazing guitar.
so i surfed a bit on the gibson site, and i found out there is a les paul supreme.
i think this is the top-of-the-line les paul.

which one is better? or what are the differences ? or what is THE best les paul (doesn't have to be one of these 2)?

thanks. :peace:

hahoomisham
05-05-2007, 06:57 AM
i have no knowledge about the supreme, but when i once played a standard in the store, it blew me away, and the clerk said it was the second best gibson, the first being the custum....no he was probably lieing so i will buy a 2500$ guitar....but the custom is probably the best gibson les paul....

tpot06
05-05-2007, 07:00 AM
As far as I'm aware the supreme tops the custom. Just look at the higher level of finishing in the inlays and stuff. Plus its called supreme. Why would they call it that if it wasn't??

Thecla
05-05-2007, 07:12 AM
well it is called supreme that may says enough

furlong2669
05-05-2007, 07:13 AM
hey guys, the supreme is a higher model than the custom, it has a better finish,more colour choice,but one reason why its different is because it has a chambered body which makes it lighter, so that way you stil get your les paul sound but with less back trouble!

chrisbeevor
05-05-2007, 07:15 AM
it's not that much of a les paul though? it's chambered

furlong2669
05-05-2007, 07:18 AM
ive never played one but id assume even with the chambered body there would be very little difference

Matsols
05-05-2007, 07:34 AM
ive never played one but id assume even with the chambered body there would be very little difference

Wouldn't you loose a whole lot of sustain?

furlong2669
05-05-2007, 07:36 AM
i guess u would but because of the chambered body im guessing they must have done something to make up for the sustain

Jinskee
05-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't think the supreme is worth it...

I rather would take a classic or standard over it.

Hernan_lp
05-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I like the supreme but I also thought of the difficulties because you cant reach the electronics.And also it just cosmetically better.So the les paul standard is in my opinion one of the best and everything from there up is just better in COSMETICS not in actual sound and feel

Eric 666
05-05-2007, 01:09 PM
the Supreme's are big pieces of shit, the binding on a Schecter C1-Hellraiser is better, the body is weight relieved (meaning there's holes in it to take some of the body weight out) and the pickups are from a Les Paul Studio...so there's really no point in buying one unless you're gonna put it in a glass case and it's gonna sit there and look pretty...oh and it's 3300 bucks, so why bother paying 1000 bucks more for that crap than the standard, so the Standard's a better choice.

edg
05-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I thought the Supreme was a pretty lousy guitar for the money. Looks pretty
in pictures though which is really what most people go by.

If I wanted to get an LP, I'd probably get a Custom or a Standard. Standard is
the better value. But, after owning an LP and many other guitars, I'm just not
that interested in them.

Rockstar12345
05-05-2007, 02:37 PM
the gibson lp's ive played at the GC were horrible. maybe cuz it was gc...

fender&gibson
05-06-2007, 05:55 AM
ok thanks everyone :)

fender&gibson
05-06-2007, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I thought the Supreme was a pretty lousy guitar for the money. Looks pretty
in pictures though which is really what most people go by.

If I wanted to get an LP, I'd probably get a Custom or a Standard. Standard is
the better value. But, after owning an LP and many other guitars, I'm just not
that interested in them.
why is that ?

Kurapica
05-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Wouldn't you loose a whole lot of sustain?

They tend to still be alright, because you're losing a chunk of weight but gaining resonance.

I'm the sort of person who would want a full weight Les Paul though, just as I would buy a Big Muff rather than a Little Big Muff, get me?

FacingUsAll
05-06-2007, 10:53 AM
the body is weight relieved (meaning there's holes in it to take some of the body weight out)

All Gibson Les Paul's have holes in them.

I believe the Supreme actually has chambers.

why is that ?

Probably because you can get fantastically better guitars for the price.

Eric 666
05-06-2007, 10:57 AM
All Gibson Les Paul's have holes in them.

I believe the Supreme actually has chambers.

It's not chambered, I've seen a luthier take one apart and it just has the holes, the Les Paul Ultra from Epiphone is chambered.

FacingUsAll
05-06-2007, 11:01 AM
It's not chambered, I've seen a luthier take one apart and it just has the holes, the Les Paul Ultra from Epiphone is chambered.

Musiciansfriend.com lies again.

Whee.

EDIT: The Gibson site says it's chambered too. If Gibson's version of "chambered" is to put even more holes in the body, then that guitar is a bigger waste of money than I already thought it was :).

fender&gibson
05-06-2007, 11:01 AM
examples ?

FacingUsAll
05-06-2007, 11:12 AM
examples ?

There are tons, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Carvin (www.carvin.com)

Ran (www.ranguitars.com)

Parker (http://www.parkerguitars.com/)

Hamer (http://www.hamerguitars.com/)

First Act (http://www.firstact.com/Products/CustomGuitars.aspx)

Just to name a few...

fender&gibson
05-06-2007, 12:03 PM
well yeah gibsons are a bit overpriced but that's cuase they're handmade. i think all of those brands are factory-made.

CustomCustom
05-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I didnt like the fat 50s neck on a supreme i tried and the rear has a solid maple cap flamed like the front but there are no cutouts to get to the electronics or the toggle switch so changing pups is a question mark. they must have wired it up then put the maple cap on the back.

The Classic Antique with flamed top is very nice or a Std w/ 60s neck

Eric 666
05-06-2007, 01:04 PM
well yeah gibsons are a bit overpriced but that's cuase they're handmade. i think all of those brands are factory-made.

bullshit, only the Custom Shop (not les paul customs...I mean REAL custom shop) guitars are handmade, the Vintage Original Spec and Les Paul Customs are only hand assembled, they're all built with CNC now...PRS Hand builds some of their stuff...menaing had carving and all that jazz...but it's mostly for their private stock. Gibson has turned into a less-than-decent company in recent years. Gibson hasnt hand built anything that's production since 1991.

fender&gibson
05-06-2007, 01:08 PM
oh really :eek: i truly believed that every gibson was handmade :sad:

hamish5178
05-06-2007, 01:12 PM
ugh, all obnoxious bickering aside:

The Supreme is the top of the line production model LP, technically the Custom is "nicer" than it because it is made in the custom shop, with supposedly better materials and craftsmanship.

The Supreme has a chambered body to promote resonance and make it weigh less, this is also "supposedly" different than weight relief (on the standard and other production LPs), because the holes are carved in strategic locations, not just random plugs pulled out.

Personally, I prefer the pickups on the standard, but it IS NOT TRUE that the Supreme has "bad" pickups, the 490 and 498 somehow got a bad reputation, they are just as good as burstbuckers or 57s, they just have different tonal characteristics, that some people may not like!

There are a lot of people presenting their opinions as facts in this thread :no:

TS, there is no "best" LP, jimmy page played a standard most of the time, but he could afford anything he wanted, like a custom, or a black beauty (which he did use on occasion).

I would say go with the standard (even though it's apparent you aren't looking to buy one), it's a much better value, and I think the supreme looks very busy and tuxedoish, which doesn't really fly with me.

PapaSmurph
05-06-2007, 01:56 PM
And hamish has now pwnt you all

Hernan_lp
05-06-2007, 02:08 PM
heres the inside of the supreme:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/finalframes/frameset.htm

Rockstar12345
05-06-2007, 02:47 PM
heres the inside of the supreme:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/finalframes/frameset.htm

....where?

hamish5178
05-06-2007, 08:14 PM
And hamish has now pwnt you all

sooo sigged

edit:

inside of a standard/classic:

http://www.piller.at/music/lp-faq/swisscheese.jpg

Rockstar12345
05-06-2007, 08:59 PM
sooo sigged

edit:

inside of a standard/classic:

http://www.piller.at/music/lp-faq/swisscheese.jpg

thats scandalous.

Hernan_lp
05-06-2007, 09:43 PM
....where?

one the link :)

go to the articles section and on the last article(les paul supreme) there are pictures of it on the inside

fretboardvoodoo
02-17-2012, 02:34 AM
one the link :)

go to the articles section and on the last article(les paul supreme) there are pictures of it on the inside

I know this is an old ass thread, but, seeing as I got here trying to find pictures of the les paul supreme's internal routing, I thought I'd chime in just to post a direct link to the page rather then have others searching for it. so here it is ;)

http://www.lespaulforum.com/slubarticle/supreme/supreme.html