how long to get good!??

PDA

View Full Version : how long to get good!??

mjhawar209
05-05-2007, 04:07 PM
ive started to learn the guitar, an acoustic. Just been learning from internet lessons and reading UG lessons, no lessons from pros or anything. But anyway just wondering how long it for you other guys to get good(good like where you can say "yeah i can play the guitar" and being able to read most tabs and playing the song accurately. just curious?

blacklp
05-05-2007, 04:11 PM
about 5 minutes

dsun88
05-05-2007, 04:12 PM
between half a year and a year you should be able to sight read open chords pretty well.

Oasis-fanatic
05-05-2007, 04:12 PM
about 9 months if you out your mind to it.

Oasis-fanatic
05-05-2007, 04:13 PM
between half a year and a year you should be able to sight read open chords pretty well.

pfft that takes 4 months with practice

broly_the_best6
05-05-2007, 04:13 PM
1 yr for me.

ClickClick
05-05-2007, 04:17 PM
after 1 yr im covering bold as love in my school battle of the bands

X-Ryan-X
05-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Depends how much effort you put in. I'm coming upto my 3rd year of playing this Monday and I've been seriously playing about 2 years. At this point I am playing Pantera and Black Label Society etc, writing my own songs and improvising solo pieces in the styles of different guitarists.

Locomo
05-05-2007, 04:23 PM
From what ive seen the guys that I would actually call "good" have usually been playing 3 years and up. Sure you can play songs in a far shorter amount of time, but I think it takes about that long (dedicated practice) for everything to really come together.

glowskulls
05-05-2007, 04:25 PM
errrrrr, i'm just coming up to my fifth year and at the moment i'm working on six by all that remains. the solo is being a bitch to nail. it depends what you see as good really.

the memory
05-05-2007, 04:27 PM
ive been playing nearly a year and a half now and ive written around 6 of my own songs. (some still need bits of work done to finish them off, but i got them pretty much all finished)
i just learned "yyz" by rush last night and i spent most of today just going over it and getting it perfected really...
i'm also in a band just now and we are writting our own material aswell (got about 8 songs ready to go)

techniques wise, i can do stuff like two handed tapping and pinch harmonics.
and im beginning to start work on sweep picking :)

AxWeilder
05-05-2007, 08:28 PM
This is a grea thread cause I was wondering the same thing. At this point i hide my guitar if anyone is comming over to avoid the dreaded "play something".

KeViNp
05-05-2007, 08:45 PM
It takes maybe half a year to play a decent song. After a year most songs end up being cake to play.

SynysterA7X
05-05-2007, 09:01 PM
errrrrr, i'm just coming up to my fifth year and at the moment i'm working on six by all that remains. the solo is being a bitch to nail. it depends what you see as good really.
niice man, that song came up on my playlist RIGHT as i scrolled down to this post great song by great band. anyways you should be getting to learn songs faster and faster the more you practice. never set your guitar down. glue the f*ckin thing to your hands if you have to (make for very hard playing lol..) but seriously when you practice a lot you can get really into it and learn a whole song in one sitting. in about a year with practice you can be considered "good"

Pabli7o
05-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Play (old)green day and nirvana for about 6 months and slowly start Iron Maiden Riffs for another 6 months.

About a year.... But it took me 4 years to realize i wasn't going anywhere with that music.

millerdrr
05-05-2007, 09:52 PM
The trouble with the average guitarist is he thinks he isn't. After a year you can play loads of music on the radio, but it took Vai decades to get to where he is. The minions of copycats on the web can sound good, but playing note for note is difficult, even for him. part of randy's brilliance with ozzy was his ability to double and triple track his work.

neonebula2001
05-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I think it does take devotion like all these guys are saying. You have to be passionate and love it! Then you will practice not because you seek glory but because playing is just fun!!!

KapitaanKOOL
05-05-2007, 11:50 PM
if you put in an hour at the least everyday and get as many different practice songs as possible you should be getting close to being an intermediate in about 5 1/2 months if you FOCUS

HuckIt
05-06-2007, 06:29 AM
ive been playing for about 4 month...1 month of that I was gone and didnt have time, so 3 months for me...All I can play is...pretty much all Offspring songs except for a few...all I ever practiced was powerchords (self taught btw)...so the only solo I can play is the one in "The Kids aren't alright" :D ...and I play ramones songs too...I'd love to play Megadeth but I suck too much...so Im gonna start taking lessons this summer...

It didn't take me long to be able to read any of the music...Ive been playing the Piano for like 11 years now so that was nothing new to me...

So...until I can actually play something that looks impressing...probably a year or so :D:D

Sam.1990
05-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I've been playing for about 2 years now. And I'd say I'm a little behind but I've just about got the stage where I can hold my own (if you know what I'm saying), for example, if I don't know how a solo is played I can easily find which scale it's in the improv my own solo ontop of it and have it sound pretty decent.

I started off playing Green Day, Blink, Nirvana and the like just to get used to actually playing guitar then moved onto Avenged Sevenfold and now I'm giving some of Dream Theater's stuff a go.

But I'll say this. For the first six months to a year you'll be crap and most of the songs you play won't sound quite right and it will piss you off. but stick to and it and I promise you that you'll improve and you will be glad that you stuck to it.

__Ryan__
05-07-2007, 12:00 AM
How Long to get good? This all depends on what you consider good. For some people, the ability to rip through Smells Like Teen Spirit is good, for others, it is the ability to play 16th notes at 300bpm (if only) . But anyways...

I'm 3 days away from 5 months of playing. 3-4 Hours every day Mon-Frid. and 6-10 on Sats and Sundays.

And i'm about half way or more through the solo to Fermented Offal Discharge. (The sweeps are easy. It's the Sweeps + Tapping (on time), that lick on frets 20-24, and the tapping that is giving me a problem at the moment.) And i'm about half way or more through Foul Body Autopsy (main things are some of those jumps and stretches, the majority of the song isn't that complicated.)

In a way, I guess I consider myself good, but that really isn't my objective in learning guitar (to be considered good by other people's standards). Anyways...

Just Remember
If you push yourself, you can go a long way.

DARTH HAX
05-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Year and a quarter for me..

But i must suck.. I still have trouble with some of the zeppelin riffs....

I DID just start the electric yesterday, all this past time has been on the acoustic.

I'm much much better on the acoustic than I am on the electric. Gimme a few months and well see where Im at I guess.

Comment;

Anyone here start like I have on the acoustic for a year or so and find it kind wierd going to the electric b/c u try to play it like an acoustic?

-B-

mjhawar209
05-07-2007, 02:46 AM
right on great feedback thx guys keep em coming

hurlyz
05-07-2007, 02:51 AM
I guess it depends on how often you practice, how long you practice and MOST OF ALL... How seriously you practice!

If you just fool around on your guitar for hours and hours, you won't get "good" as quickly as if you practice useful things for an hour everyday!

Indeed, it also depends on your definition of "good" :p:

Good Luck!

RockerPseudonym
05-07-2007, 02:57 AM
I've been playing about 7-8 months. I can do wicked taps and speedy powerchord passages, but I've just gotten into acoustic so that I can work on my rhythm and get well rounded. All I can say is this: You can't play fast unless you learn to be slow. I can alt.pick at 180 bpm and still sound good, but I get stuck in scalar runs and lose the ability to improvise if I push myself too hard. Stick to what sounds good, then work on your technique.

EDIT: I work full time and try to keep up a social life, so I practice about 2 hours a day, and jam when I get the chance.

steven seagull
05-07-2007, 07:16 AM
After a year or so you should be fairly comfortable with the instrument and understand basic terminology and all the techniques, although you prrobably won't be able to actually do them. What you should hopefully be able to do is switch between chords smoothly and quickly, and play straightforward lead lines...basically you should be in a position to play along with any song in some form save for faster, more technical stuff.

Arlabester
05-07-2007, 07:18 AM
ive been playing for a year and 3 months and i can play, hells bells, back in black, rocker, you shook me all night long, highway to hell, thunderstruck, the jack, parts of CFH, parts of Walk, parts of Cemetary gates, parts of MoP, Kill the King, Dead!, The End and Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.

good?

Gsus4
05-07-2007, 07:55 AM
I taught myself through watching others play and working out tabs and i think it is probably alot slower but more rewarding so stick at it, a teacher costs too much to be worth it to be honest when you can teach youself with the internet :-)

I am a rhythm guitarrist primarily so i'll focus on that:
If your very dedicated then once you reach about 8 months you'll be able to sight-read and play any chords you come across except uncommon barre's and uncommon chords in general.
The chords aren't really the issue, its learning to create a rhythm or beat as you strum properly, most beginners have very bad strumming and this is what takes longest to get right.

if you take a lead guitar approach then be able to sight read and play most intermediate lead tabs by that time.

Once you get to one year you'll be quite confident in playing intermediate stuff and will start exploring harder stuff slowly.

glowskulls
05-07-2007, 08:33 AM
oh yeah. just a quick tip. if you don't already know, when you play single string licks and all that, try to pick up AND down, loads of new people go just down strokes and it's a bitch to iron out later on.

Pacifica112J
05-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Impossible to answer.

hurlyz
05-07-2007, 11:15 AM
I've been playing about 7-8 months. I can do wicked taps and speedy powerchord passages, but I've just gotten into acoustic so that I can work on my rhythm and get well rounded. All I can say is this: You can't play fast unless you learn to be slow. I can alt.pick at 180 bpm and still sound good, but I get stuck in scalar runs and lose the ability to improvise if I push myself too hard. Stick to what sounds good, then work on your technique.

EDIT: I work full time and try to keep up a social life, so I practice about 2 hours a day, and jam when I get the chance.You must be ****ing sloppy?? 180bpm alternate picking after 7-8months @ 2hours per day lolll.... Either you're picking 4ths or you're sloppy as hell! :o

Taoistic_Beer
05-07-2007, 11:41 AM
To be really honest with you?
2 years.

First year I was like "MEH GUITAR. I'll play 10 minutes before bed."
Second year I was like "Hey, it kinda SOUNDS like the song I am playing!"

Now? I am actually PLEASED of my own playing!
Well, not to really brag about it, but I actually think I can play some cool stuff with it 8)

kw112
09-06-2008, 11:11 AM
im offically playing nine months now and i can play allota blink182 (cuz its easy :P)
some made up riffs, theme songs i work on for practice :P wipeout, currently working on sweet child o mine, and i had problems with my pinky before but im out of that stage....to get out of the dreaded "play somthing" ill play the somthin sweet and simple like smoke on the water and when they say "thats EASY!" i hand em the guitar and say.."lets see hwo long it takes for me to teach you how to play the opening riff then..." and it takes at least an hour if theyve never touched a guitar before . to really piss them off i play the intro to stay together for the kids then say teh same thing and it takes em at least two hours for that one. :batman:

anyway i think it took me up until now where i can tell my self that i can play some pretty cool shit but im not cocky about it....if your feeling bad about how you can play think about when you started and the songs you thought were "hard' back then that are a peice of cake now...and start recording your practicses then after two months go back and review the old tapes and then the new ones..it shows how much youve learned and gives you a real confidence boost.

kw112
09-06-2008, 11:22 AM
another thing...dont get too hung up on comparing yourself to people that have been playing way longer than you becuase itll only be discouraging. look to people whove been playing the same amount of time as you and compare yourself. if i compared myself to slash id think of my self as a pile of garbage. my friend looks and compares herself to me even though ive been playing 9 months and shes only been playing like..4 and shes discouraged and dosent practice as much now. which isnt a good thing. take your time practice as much as you can and remember that everybody learns at a diffrent pace.
(ive also found that videotaping your fingers on teh fret board as you play can give you a good feeling of how fast you can actually play)

MulanoSG
09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
It depends what you mean by good, if you mean this kinda good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en7EKL1pX5w

that will take about 8 months

if this is what you mean by good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1oukoPmAM

that will take around 20 years of dedicated practice 6 hours a day EVERY day

steven seagull
09-07-2008, 07:06 AM
im offically playing nine months now and i can play allota blink182 (cuz its easy :P)
some made up riffs, theme songs i work on for practice :P wipeout, currently working on sweet child o mine, and i had problems with my pinky before but im out of that stage....to get out of the dreaded "play somthing" ill play the somthin sweet and simple like smoke on the water and when they say "thats EASY!" i hand em the guitar and say.."lets see hwo long it takes for me to teach you how to play the opening riff then..." and it takes at least an hour if theyve never touched a guitar before . to really piss them off i play the intro to stay together for the kids then say teh same thing and it takes em at least two hours for that one. :batman:

anyway i think it took me up until now where i can tell my self that i can play some pretty cool shit but im not cocky about it....if your feeling bad about how you can play think about when you started and the songs you thought were "hard' back then that are a peice of cake now...and start recording your practicses then after two months go back and review the old tapes and then the new ones..it shows how much youve learned and gives you a real confidence boost.
This thread is a year old...the guy either quit by now or is happily practicing away :p:

Logz
09-07-2008, 07:07 AM
old :p: