PTB-Work In Progress

PDA

View Full Version : PTB-Work In Progress

MadMudgeN
05-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Hey everyone, this is a new piece that me and my guitarist friend have been working on. Let me set some things out first:

-It's a lil repetitive right now, because in the real way we play it, there's some variation in that verse fill that happens.
-I wrote all the bass, which will more than likely change when our bassist gets a look at it.

Cheers. Lemme know what ya think

Edit: Oh, and C4C for anyone who asks and provides a link. Updated piece is a few posts down.

Cyberbob
05-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Real nice song, great melody and the two guitars complement each other really well. Each section on it's own is great, however there is no real transition between the sections, and the jump from one rhythm to another doesn't feel quite right. Perhaps a fill between sections would ais the transition and smooth out the song a bit.

Crit Mine? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581401)

MadMudgeN
05-07-2007, 08:55 AM
yeah, some of that is powertab. me and my friend blend the switches from 80bpm to 100 and back much better than in the program, and the distortion on the ptab sounds harsher than we have it... cest la vie I guess. Thanks though!

MadMudgeN
05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Okay, I finished the song... for now. There's only bass for half the song which is kind of silly, but oh well. Here's the final product for now, but a couple more things to note...

-in the "modulate" section, you can probably tell which note changed :). If there's any suggestions on how to make a diatonic common chord modulation sound less "off", let me know, cuz I did go from ii-vi, and stepped up to vii, which is supposed to be a good way to do so (hitting a leading tone then a I to solidify, supposedly).

-Powertab makes the tempo changes sound WAY worse than they do, so keep an open mind :)

Cheers.

Edit: New version 4 posts down or so.

Nunwhxre 666
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
I didn't care for the intro until the 2nd guitar came in. That was enjoyable. The verse was good, but I think you should cut down the repeats a few, because after the like 3 or 4th time it get's boring to listen to. The bridge was decent. And I LOVED the chorus, it might just be me, but I thought it was amazing. The modulate section was good except the last measure of it. It sounds dissonant. I really enjoyed the acoustic interlude and the solo. But, the last 3 - 4 measures of the solo weren't great. And of course, the chorus again was good. And the outro was also decent.

It was an overall good peice. Not amazing, but definitely good and well-written. 8/10

Crit one of mine if you get a chance?

Spamwise
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
The intro's great. The verse is okay I think. I do not like the chorus though. I don't think it fits the mood of the song at all. The interludes are pretty good, and the solo is great.

A few changes and I think it'd be awesome.

MadMudgeN
05-07-2007, 03:24 PM
yea, the verse riff does kinda sound boring on here, because I only tabbed out one of the many applicable fills for that last part, so it's not quite as boring as the midi makes it out to be. Glad you liked the chorus, and I'll look over the solo. One reason I know it's bad is I don't use either B or Bb that often cuz the chords don't really favor using a B, which is bad since it weakens the key change IMO. Oh well. Thanks for the input, and I already critted one of yours, but I'll do another one if I get some time. thanks.

Edit: Spamwise, thank you as well. And fair enough about the chrous riff, but with all due respect I think I'll keep it cuz it's my fav part pretty much :).

Edit 2: And nuxwhere, that's the actual modulation that you and I are hearing, which is why I don't like it either. I can't get the modulation to C to actually sound smooth. Oh well.

Spamwise
05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Edit: Spamwise, thank you as well. And fair enough about the chrous riff, but with all due respect I think I'll keep it cuz it's my fav part pretty much .

Fair enough. that was just my opinion. :)

MadMudgeN
05-09-2007, 08:14 PM
MMk, I fixed a couple of things here and there, and I pretty much like it like this. So here it is...

Also, Added Bass for the whole thing. Herr you go.

MadMudgeN
05-10-2007, 03:29 PM
oh, and bump. won't do it again :cheers: