True bypass pedal tuner?

PDA

View Full Version : True bypass pedal tuner?

suckasucks
05-10-2007, 08:05 AM
are there any REAL true bypass pedal tuners available on the market? trying to keep it as cheap as possible, smallest footprint, true bypass and stomp-worthy.

oh and im aware of the the peterson strobostomp. its just way too expensive, could get a fulltone pedal instead..

xifr
05-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Korg (big footprint though) or Planet Waves (dunno if it really is TB).

suckasucks
05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
theres talk on tgp that the korg still sucks tone.. i want a true bypass because i plan on putting it right in front of my chain, which will prob cause input problems in my OCD and the germanium fuzz i will be getting soon.

worse case scenario... get any tuner and stick it after the drive pedals but i still wanna search for a TB one.

JasonUGA311
05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
<-------- Pederson Strobo Stompbox. Just about as good as it gets for Stomp Tuners.

Around $189 usd. It's a workhorse. And after you tune with this thing you'll never go back to an LED or Chromatic tuner. 30 times more accurate.

JasonUGA311
05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
don't go cheap

mr_hankey
05-10-2007, 12:09 PM
<-------- Pederson Strobo Stompbox. Just about as good as it gets for Stomp Tuners.

Around $189 usd. It's a workhorse. And after you tune with this thing you'll never go back to an LED or Chromatic tuner. 30 times more accurate.

x3

xifr
05-11-2007, 08:58 PM
theres talk on tgp that the korg still sucks tone.. i want a true bypass because i plan on putting it right in front of my chain, which will prob cause input problems in my OCD and the germanium fuzz i will be getting soon.

worse case scenario... get any tuner and stick it after the drive pedals but i still wanna search for a TB one.
The only TB pedal is the Peterson. Out of those that aren't (and the PW probably isn't), the Korg and the Planet Waves suck the least tone.

The_Marshall_Gu
05-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Have you looked into the Fender pedal? Big footprint though.

cokeisbetter
05-11-2007, 09:04 PM
What you could do is build/buy a simple A/B/Y box, then use that to switch between tuner and the rest of your chain. Then you can use whatever you want for tuners.

Dr. No
05-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Just use your ears man. It saves money.

WlCmToTheJungle
05-11-2007, 09:44 PM

thats what i do, but the problem is that when you play with a band, if your E string is outta tune you are screwed because you tuned flatter or sharper than your guitarist or bassist did when they used a pedal

anyway, isnt the boss tu2 the industry standard?

suckasucks
05-11-2007, 09:53 PM
^ yeah. how are the buffers on the PW tuner, compared to boss buffers? does it have silent tuning? right now im trying to stick only 1 or 2 buffers in my pedal chain. 1 has been used up by my phase 90, the other probably by some delay i might get(probably DD3)

TwoString
05-11-2007, 09:53 PM
What you could do is build/buy a simple A/B/Y box, then use that to switch between tuner and the rest of your chain. Then you can use whatever you want for tuners.

yup...better yet, build a full true bypass strip and a small signal buffer. This will really do wonders for you tone if you've got a lot of pedals.

Reincaster
05-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Fail.

don't tell me youre ear is as accurate as a strobe tuner. I'm pretty sure I can lightly turn my E string up, and you can't tell it's off pitch. If you're lowest string is out of tune, there's no point is there? And it's murder when you try to tune to another person's pitch. Waste of time.

Also, if you'e got a wolpume pedal that has two outputs, or some pedal like that, then you can use any tuner without tone suck.

Roc8995
05-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Make a true bypass looper for a fender/planet waves/boss tuner.
Strobostomp is the only TBP tuner - they just came out with a new version, you can probably find the first version used for a good price right now.

cokeisbetter
05-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Also, if you'e got a wolpume pedal that has two outputs, or some pedal like that, then you can use any tuner without tone suck.
Bullhonky. The tuner output isn't completely disconnected from the signal chain when bypassed, so it does suck some tone. Rantings of a TB freak, but still. Be informed.

EDIT: And my ear with a tuning fork is pretty freakin' accurate.

suckasucks
05-11-2007, 10:33 PM
a volume pedal would prob suck even more tone than a tuner..

Reincaster
05-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Bullhonky. The tuner output isn't completely disconnected from the signal chain when bypassed, so it does suck some tone. Rantings of a TB freak, but still. Be informed.

EDIT: And my ear with a tuning fork is pretty freakin' accurate.

THINK MAN, THINK! One output of the volume pedal goes to your pedal chain, the other goes into your tuner. nothing from the tuner to anything else.

A tuning fork yes. but ear alone? no. I was responding to the post where someone said to use your ears instead of a tuner.

suckasucks
05-11-2007, 10:37 PM
well that splits your signal. so its still not good.

Reincaster
05-11-2007, 10:38 PM
well that splits your signal. so its still not good.

So does an ABY pedal. And I didn't limit it to volume pedals. Any pedal that has two outputs will work fine.

suckasucks
05-11-2007, 10:41 PM
but an aby would be switchable right. doesnt split the signal when you only push it one way or the other. anyway i was thinking maybe i should get a custom built looper box. with and effects loop for my modulations and pedals i dont usually leave on all in 1 loop, then have a tuner out too.

Reincaster
05-11-2007, 10:42 PM
but an aby would be switchable right. doesnt split the signal when you only push it one way or the other. anyway i was thinking maybe i should get a custom built looper box. with and effects loop for my modulations and pedals i dont usually leave on all in 1 loop, then have a tuner out too.

Depends, the aby I was thinking of was the tripler. I think tonebone has a true bypass effects loop box for $70 or so.

If anything, just use an EQ pedal to buffer it. Multipurpose.

Roc8995
05-11-2007, 11:04 PM
The problem with the volume pedal solution is that volume pedals really suck your tone in the first place.

cokeisbetter
05-11-2007, 11:19 PM
THINK MAN, THINK! One output of the volume pedal goes to your pedal chain, the other goes into your tuner. nothing from the tuner to anything else.

A tuning fork yes. but ear alone? no. I was responding to the post where someone said to use your ears instead of a tuner.
Exactly. The fact that it goes into your tuner still sucks a bitty of tone. If you're not too obsessed, it's OK, but the sucking is still there. It's never fully disconnected from thy signal, thusly 'tis not true bypass.

Reincaster
05-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Once again, it's not limited to volume pedals.

Any pedal with two outputs, whether it be a whammy, noise suppressor, reverb, whatever. A/B box is fine, but it's just something I don't use too much. Even TB pedals, when there are enough, suck tone. I'd just get an EQ pedal as a buffer.

It goes into your tuner, but the tuner DOES NOT put out any sound afterwards. It's not disconnected from a signal, but it's a different signal.

darthbuttchin
05-12-2007, 03:29 AM
sorry to hijack thread, but if i stuck my normal tuner into the second out put of my bad monkey, would it work?

db

Reincaster
05-12-2007, 03:49 AM
sorry to hijack thread, but if i stuck my normal tuner into the second out put of my bad monkey, would it work?

db

Yeah.

xifr
05-12-2007, 06:43 AM
For the issue of using a tuner output (like on EB volume pedals):
http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/tunout.htm

Reincaster
05-12-2007, 06:48 AM

Ok then, wha tI meant was a two output pedal, as in stereo output. Not chorus of course, but I did mention a few other types of pedals earlier.

darthbuttchin
05-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks Reincaster

cokeisbetter
05-12-2007, 08:51 AM
:cheers:

Cadd99
05-12-2007, 01:23 PM
The Planet Waves tuner is true-bypass, and doesn't suck any tone.

If you plug it into your chain and don't power it, the signal will still go through = true bypass.

Plus it's $20 cheaper than the Boss and $100 cheaper than the Peterson.

cokeisbetter
05-12-2007, 01:58 PM
^ Nope, that just means passive bypass. It can still be output only switching, as opposed to true input-and-output switching.

Cadd99
05-13-2007, 01:53 PM
^ Nope, that just means passive bypass. It can still be output only switching, as opposed to true input-and-output switching.
Um, no, it's true mechanical bypass. You can hear the click when you turn it on.

-heartbreaker-
05-13-2007, 02:00 PM
is the Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner true bypass?

i recommend that.

mattldm2003
05-14-2007, 09:46 AM
From the Planet Waves website:
"Professional features like true hard bypass for preserved tone and dual 9v AC jacks make this unit at home in any pedal board configuration."

suckasucks
05-14-2007, 10:46 AM
'true hard bypass' isnt really true TRUE bypass. just another marketing strategy.

trixdropd
05-30-2007, 01:22 AM
All I know is that the Peterson StroboStomp Stomps all other tuners on the market non peterson. If you wan't accurate then you want the peterson. You can then setup your own intonation perfectly as well. I was blown away at my peterson...

IncubusMan999
05-30-2007, 06:18 AM
THe Planet Waves Pedal Tuner is True Hardwire Bypass and good value for money. The Petersen Strobostomp is good but pricey. I'd get the PW if i were you.

winno
05-30-2007, 07:51 AM
If you're so concerned about the tuner not being true bypass, just get 2 guitars tuned the same, and a friend to tune one guitar while you play a song with the other guitar.

Then the guitar and tuner are DEFINATELY out of the signal path.

IncubusMan999
05-31-2007, 05:37 AM
^ But he more is after something that he can just stomp and tune. Say, in a gig, he wouldn't have time to do that

chukbetoc
06-12-2007, 09:59 PM
How about accuracy? Besides the Peterson, what is the most accurate tuner out there? Is needle better than digital?

Chuk

xifr
06-12-2007, 10:02 PM
needle = more accurate
digital/LEG = easier and quicker to read, can be read in the dark.