The Sands Of Time (Metal Instrumental) [Gp5/4/Midi]

PDA

View Full Version : The Sands Of Time (Metal Instrumental) [Gp5/4/Midi]

ch715dallat
05-12-2007, 05:36 PM
i deleted the other thread ;) as this is it done and dusted :) and recorded

well here it is the finished version with outro solo and harmony overdubs added in. Im pretty happy how it turned out. i recorded it earlier, but its a bit messy and i didnt take to many takes so theres plenty of mistakes but i just wanted to get it down as an actual recording, but give me your opinions on the final piece thanks

also ive only been playing for nearly a yeear now so take that into account ;)

:cheers:

C4C

CHECK OUT THE NEW RECORDING HERE (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596385)

EDIT: HERES THE VERSION WITH BETTER INTERLUDE DRUMS ;) ITS ALSO NOW CALLED 'THE GATES OF AND EMPIRE BURN@ AS SANDS OF TIME HAS BEEN USED COUNTLESS TIMES :(

gallagher2006
05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I liked the intro, especially the dodgy riff ending on the PH. Bar 18 had a particulary good little harmony :haha The drums, I found, to be a bit on the annoying side, but that could just be the MIDI acting up...The first solo was AMAZING and suited the song very well...I wish I could say the same about the last one though...I felt it dragged a bit. The acoustic break was a nice break in the pace but a little acoustic solo over it would have been cool. Well done on the harmonies though :haha

And thanks for the crit on mine :)

ch715dallat
05-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I liked the intro, especially the dodgy riff ending on the PH. Bar 18 had a particulary good little harmony :haha The drums, I found, to be a bit on the annoying side, but that could just be the MIDI acting up...The first solo was AMAZING and suited the song very well...I wish I could say the same about the last one though...I felt it dragged a bit. The acoustic break was a nice break in the pace but a little acoustic solo over it would have been cool. Well done on the harmonies though :haha

And thanks for the crit on mine :)

i dont know if youre serious or not lol :( cos you put the :haha thing beside where you said the harmonies were good :confused:

but thanks on the other stuff :) anything else you have posted up yet? for a crit?

gallagher2006
05-12-2007, 05:50 PM
i dont know if youre serious or not lol :( cos you put the :haha thing beside where you said the harmonies were good :confused:

but thanks on the other stuff :) anything else you have posted up yet? for a crit?

Sorry, I've been told one more than one occasion I use :haha at the worst possible times lol but I was serious :)

Na Im good for crits :)

ch715dallat
05-13-2007, 08:55 AM
no problemo, you certainly do use them in the wronmg places lol, but thanks for the crit :cheers:

buckethead_jr
05-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Yay, more from ch715dallat!

Loved the intro, there was something odd about it, but i liked it.
Drums fit in well too.
Loving the little harmonies you have here.
First solo: excellent, fits, sounds amazing, great phrasing.
Second one: It was good, but since you seem to know you're modes, i'd have thought a lydian dominant based solo would be killer in here, just the kind of sound I'd have liked to hear.

Other than that, amazing, like all you're other stuff.

Marry me

ch715dallat
05-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Yay, more from ch715dallat!

Loved the intro, there was something odd about it, but i liked it.
Drums fit in well too.
Loving the little harmonies you have here.
First solo: excellent, fits, sounds amazing, great phrasing.
Second one: It was good, but since you seem to know you're modes, i'd have thought a lydian dominant based solo would be killer in here, just the kind of sound I'd have liked to hear.

Other than that, amazing, like all you're other stuff.

Marry me

i left the intro out cos i just do a wee quick clean mess about before i start, but thanks on the other stuff i could have a mess about in lydian and see if i can get anythin i like cos im gonna rerecord it in a couple of weeks a bit better as i didnt record this too well and i think my guitar was a bit out of tune for the second solo but w/e lol

and ok :liplick:

edit: oh and i threw out my old stuff, im starting anew as i realise it wasnt very good stuff :( and check out the recording its pretty rough and sloppy but it was just to see what it would sound like with guitar and drums and that all together :)

Snipy
05-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Nice song, pretty catching, I love the middle east feeling.
Both the solos fill well the song.
8/10

ch715dallat
05-14-2007, 04:07 AM
^thanks man ;) which one do you want critted?

The Powerslave
05-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I liked the intro riff, and with the drums it seemed as though it was leading up to a hige riff, but when the seocnd riff came it fell a bit fat for what I was expecting? It seemed like you were leading up to something good and it never really materialised. Its not a bad riff the second one but its not what i expected. Riff's 2 and 3 work together really well though. Likewise with the break, nothing really major, but it works really well, and riff 4 caps off a nioce few riffs. The solo was nigh on perfect for the song, but maybe the climax could do withg being a bit faster, perhaps triplet 16ths? Nothing to over the top, but just enough thats its a bit faster? the song worked nicely into the acoustic break, but the acoustic bit itself didnt really do it for me. Maybe a guitar fading in and out or something, or some weird effects? Listening to it now I actually prefer the second solo to the first, it osunds really Egyptian to me, which is great, but it ends a bit abruptly. Overall its a very well worked song, but for me the first solo climax needs a bit more to it, as does the second riff. If you can do that you've got an excellent song there.

Crit mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586151

ch715dallat
05-16-2007, 09:43 AM
^ thanks man, the climax will do at that as i would be pushing it to get it clean at much faster altho in the recording i didnt get it to right :( i can play faster its just im comfortable at that speed. im lookin to doin something more with the acoustic break and i might add more to the end of the second solo, im gonna rerecord it in a few weeks so i'll add to it then :)

but thanks and ill get to yours tomorrow, i have to go home and eat now

ch715dallat
05-17-2007, 10:04 AM
anyone got any better ideas for the first riffs drums as everyone seems to pick them out as a problem as theyre more of a build up drum set rather than a beat det. so if anyone could just give me an idea or edit the one i have there and repost it with better drums?

CaptainOfSmug
05-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I really liked this, I'm really loving all the egyptian-type songs coming out. For the drums at the beginning I think they sounded fine (this is for the GP5 one, I didn't listen to the real recording) but remember this is guitar pro so it's going to sound a lot better with a real set and drummers are usually masters of improve. Overall it was awesome.

Crit mine?

here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587949)

zakatak9389
05-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Alright I'm sorry I took so long man but heres my crit:

The drums like you said needed improvement, so I did what I could to improve on it. Other then the drums, I'd say you still need to add some bass. Everything sounds good up to the acoustic break. I liked the solo, but the climax should have started out lower and using fast notes just build up slowly to a high ote to end the solo. Other then that I really liked the solo and have nothing else to complain about.

Like I said everything was good up until the acoustic break. To me, it just sounded boring, and was too slow. Maybe do stuff w/ 8th notes instead and use notes from chords or the minor scale. The other riffs, and the last solo didn't really do anything for the song IMO. What you could do to switch things up and keep the song interesting, is do a key or tempo change like at the beginning of the acoutstic break. Then just drop into a distortion riff, then a wail a badass outro solo.

This is a pretty good song man, but it still needs a little improvement IMO. I know you could do something better w/ the acoustic break and on, so work on it a little. So far I'd give it a 7.5 /10, but it could be a 10 with improvement in the places I mentioned. Best of luck bro! :peace:

ch715dallat
05-18-2007, 07:32 AM
^ thanks for the crits guys,

yeah i want to change teh acoustic bit but i just couldnt think of anything i was thinking maybe an acoustic solo thing but a key change could be cool, and ill probably make it longer and more inetresting,

and the second solo im definitely goin to change as im really not happy with it. ill check out that update there when i get home tonight ;)

Edit: im re-recording it this week once i sort out the final pieces as i just bought a Line6 Tone Port UX1 and it should be here later in the week:)

editedit: and ill get your song later too man ;)

arcains_valor
05-18-2007, 09:18 PM
I agree with zakatak9389 a lot. I listened to his version and it is much better. One thing though, with the bass drum, during the first solo do eigth notes and 16th in the climax. So, yeah..keep working on it.

ch715dallat
05-19-2007, 09:23 PM
i just updated the acoutic interlude bit i had a solo over it but didnt like it so much so i just did some rhythm behind it and it sounds pretty good IMO :)

check it out, also ill be completely re-writing the second solo tomorrow as i don like the one i have at the moment :(

but here it is, and ill edit my first post with it aswell ;)

BETTER DRUMS IN FIRST POST ;)

masterskill
05-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Alright, well, the riffs are pretty good, but the song just feels like it doesn't really go anywhere...it doesnt really build up energy and ends pretty abruptly. Also, the acoustic break is a little odd and sounds out of place

But on the plus side, I really like the whole middle eastern feel of the song. Second solo rocks, and the drum beat is simple but does its job really well. I'd say keep what you have, but maybe put a high energy rhythm during the second solo or something, so theres a climax, and fix the outro a bit.

Crit for crit! :D vvv

ch715dallat
05-20-2007, 01:12 PM
thanks man, but im completely re doing the outro solo and then ill make it end a bit better ;)

bradbradbrad
05-25-2007, 10:43 AM
I really liked that.

The sorta Middle Eastern feel is awesome, and I liked the first solo alot.
Overall, 8/10.

I'll come back later and do a better crit.. I'm pretty busy right now.

ch715dallat
05-25-2007, 09:31 PM
why thank you ;) you got anything i can crit while youre bein busy ;) ?

revan1013
05-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Dude I live in Turkey right now, and this solo makes reminds me sooooo much of the good music you can hear here. I LOVE Middle Eastern sounding melodies, and you nailed it. Seriously nailed it.

On the first solo, although it's labeled "climax" it doesn't feel climactic really, sounds damn good, but not climactic so much. I think on the riffs, the drums may be over-doing the cymbals, not too sure how I feel about that.

On the side note... how do you go about making Middle-Eastern sounding melodies, is it about scales and timing of the notes? I'm really curious how you got that sound so authentically.

The whole song is amazing though, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.

ch715dallat
05-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Just the scale i used and the way you play the notes. i used Phrygian Dominant and i used plenty of hammer-ons and pull-offs

lonejedio5
05-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Hmmm the intro grabbed my attention right away. I love the riff, its deff. a very suspenseful riff.
The solo fit the song perfectly. The harmonies deff. were really well thought out. The song was a little too long I think, maybe because alot of the parts were sortoff repeated, maybe some more variations to the riffs.
Deff. good overall though, you thinking of adding vocals?
7.5/10

Crit mine plz? First on my signature?

ch715dallat
05-27-2007, 05:25 PM
already critted it,

Repeats? each riff only got used twice at most :confused:

War-Ensemble
05-28-2007, 04:47 PM
tht was amazing especially liked the solo

ch715dallat
05-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks alot i put a lot of work into this one :) although im now having a block and cant write anything else decent :(

lonejedio5
05-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks alot i put a lot of work into this one :) although im now having a block and cant write anything else decent :(

Haha it happens all the time. Thats why I never actually plan to write a song before hand. I just start jamming, maybe learn a new song by a band I like, then I just start tinkering, If I dont come up with anything then I'll at least have gotten some practice in.
All my songs actually came spontaneously, and then I just started tabbing away.

If you can write something this good then deff. will come up with other great stuff.
/m/
:gunsfirin :headbang: :gun:

XxLloydxX
05-28-2007, 09:35 PM
The song is great overall, the only thing that i think could be changed is the drums because it's a great song an not many changes are needed in my opinion. In the acoustic part you could add more things to it, like maybe some synth to make it sound like a highlighted part in the song and a change from the rest of the song. excellent work, it does look like your put a lot of effort into it. 9/10

ch715dallat
05-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks man im probably goin to cut the interlude back to what it was originally with just one repeat and then back into the riffs again as even i am finding it uninteresting after the 2nd/3rd listening. but yeah i do need to fix up the drums ;)

ive got a new song in my sig if anyone wants to check it out ;)

C4C as usual ;)

Edit: and thanks alot LoneJedi05 ;) i do usually just come up with things spontaneously like i did with this song its just i had a pile of riffs made out for a song but i just couldnt manage to arrange it in a way that i liked but i finally got something decent going it in my sig now ;)

loose bowels
05-29-2007, 05:16 PM
I loved the harmonies for the 2nd solo, really liked the acoustic break bit, didn't like the drums in the intro not because they were bad but because they were really prominent, but maybe thats just me.

ch715dallat
05-29-2007, 07:54 PM
^ Nope not just you plenty of people have commented on the drums lol im in the process of correcting them for teh recordings ;)

RedDeath9
06-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Lol, you know what's weird? I have both Sands of Time and The End of Civilization downloaded and I listened to them, but I didn't crit them. Well, it's not really weird, but... Whatever.

I liked the Mid-Eastern feel. Riff 1 was good, but instead of repeating it using those repeat bar things, just repeat it using more bars and have the drums keep building intensity then break into riff 2. I don't know if you understood that, but oh well.

And to add to the break-out feeling, us 46 instead of 42 in the drums.

Riff 3 was pretty good, can't find anything bad about it.

The solo was ok, I like the climax of it, but I wouldn't really call it a climax. Still a good solo though.

Nothing bad about the acoustic part, just a little boring. I love the part at bar 115 though.

The 2nd solo was good, but see the thing is, I loved the harmonization in bars 159-60, then right after the harmonization (161-162) is horrible :haha. The notes don't really fit. I don't really like the last note either.

Pretty good, I'd say... 7.35647/10?

ch715dallat
06-05-2007, 10:02 PM
yeah thanks man, if you listen to the recording of it i have on myspace i have a shorter acoustic bit and i dont harmonise teh second solo anymore because it just didnt sound right as you said. im rerecording with acoustica beatcraft next week maybe so the drums will be alot better ;) check out the recordings of both songs on the myspace or sounclick in my sig ;)

This song is now called, As the Gates of an Empire Burn

Phill-Rock
06-09-2007, 04:47 PM
A bit of sweep picking would have finished off the first solo very nicely.

ch715dallat
06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
im not that good at sweeping yet tho. well not cleanly so im gonna maybe put some in my newest death metal kinda song so ill see what i can do, it wont be easy tho cos its at 200bpm :( :haha

alex_13
06-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Cool... sounds really exotic/middle east as other people have already mentioned. The solos and harmonies were nice, but something in the intro riff sounded a little off IMO.

ch715dallat
06-09-2007, 08:05 PM
:eek: wot? i thought it sounded grand :( sounds fine on the recording

In_revolution
06-11-2007, 02:44 AM
Dang dude! If you've been only playing since March 2006 and you already sound like that, then you've got a place in the future of Metal. I've certainly been inspired by your work. Keep it up, and keep me posted about your future works. Take care.

ch715dallat
06-11-2007, 04:26 PM
hey thanks man :eek:

i got this and 2 other songs on myspace and soundclick now, both are in my signature, check them out if you want. the recording quality could be alot better but w/e :haha

MOFAUX
06-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow man that was cool. The drums were great and the lead part was really cool. But it WAS repetetive, especially in the beginning. The outro lead section was my favorite part.

Crit mine please http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604315