fender standard strat hss vs. sss

PDA

View Full Version : fender standard strat hss vs. sss

sk8ing_hurtz
05-13-2007, 04:00 PM
which should i get? im going to be playing a mix a couple types of rock and blues.

zwound
05-13-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd go SSS to be completely sex, but HSS will add to rock, but reduce blues power....while SSS will add blues power and reduce rock (not neccessarily...in fact i love single coil rock)

R_H_C_P
05-13-2007, 04:07 PM
SSS!

Traditional strats FTW!

I think the humbuckers in Strats are blasphemous.

zwound
05-13-2007, 04:08 PM
^ yeah, i agree with you on that. the HSS strat i have..i hate the humbucker...kind of :)

AdamDK
Gte the S-S-S. For classic rock, and blues and other stuff with a lot of cleans, the single coils are much better.

Bridge Single > Bridge Hum anyday.

rhcp_freak
Yeah, if you want a humbucker, buy a Gibson. If you want 3 singles, buy a Strat, and don't ever try to mix those two together.

bob_sanchez69
05-13-2007, 04:09 PM
You should try both out and the one you like the most you should get.

MatrixClaw
05-13-2007, 04:10 PM
I'd go with the SSS myself, I played an SSS Strat and Showmaster on a 6505 playing modern metal and i was suprised at how good they actually sounded eventhough they weren't humbuckers. So I don't think they'll give you a problem. Could always put hotrails in it anyway.

sk8ing_hurtz
05-13-2007, 05:19 PM
hotrails? sry im a noob at tech stuff

Gabel
05-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Plus in my opinion with a humbucker in a Strat you don't really get a "fat" humbucker tone anyway, it still has that Strat feeling in the sound. I think SSS is better in Strats. The only nice humbucker Strat I know is the Charvel EVH series.

hardrock1315
05-13-2007, 05:22 PM
I'd go SSS to be completely sex, but HSS will add to rock, but reduce blues power....while SSS will add blues power and reduce rock (not neccessarily...in fact i love single coil rock)

For blues you'll probably be using the neck pickup, so it'll be the same anyway.

I'd say go for the HSS, it's gonna be more versatile, and you basically can't do anything remotely heavy with the SSS.

cokeisbetter
05-13-2007, 05:36 PM
I've got an HSS Strat. To tell you the truth, it's kinda nice, but also annoying at the same time. The bridge cleans are really meh, I think because the Strat tone combined with the humbucker ends up kinda strange. However, the bridge is pretty nice on distortion. Ever since I got it, though, I've been moving away from rock tones and towards blues, so it's kinda cramping my style. I think if I get new pickups, I'll go SSS.

wonder725
05-13-2007, 06:01 PM
SSS. Most strat players don't use the bridge pickup often anyways.

LesPaulStrat
05-13-2007, 06:09 PM
SSS. Most strat players don't use the bridge pickup often anyways.

what~!?

the bridge is the twangy part of the strat that gives it a unique sound

wonder725
05-13-2007, 06:12 PM
neck p-up ftw. Gives it the signature strat sound. Telecasters are for twang.

sre9981
05-13-2007, 06:17 PM
I <3 my HSS Strat, its very versitile and really gets a better (imo) rhythm feel when using the bridge pickup, plus it loses a lot of the twangy distortion that the single bridge pickup gets, which I like for playing heavier stuff. If you mainly want to play blues and rock however, the SSS strat fits perfectly.

Tom Martin
05-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I've got an SSS strat, but I want to put a hot-rail of sorts into it. I almost never use the bridge singlecoil for cleans, so if I shoved a rail in there... It'd give me the thicker distortion sounds I'd be looking for :)

Strats rule.

the8mmmonkey
05-13-2007, 07:15 PM
HSS dude. You got a mix of rock and blues.

louie_dogg
05-13-2007, 07:37 PM
i'd say SSS i played both and i had to go with the SSS.

and wtf to the person who said strat players dont use bridge pup.

RG_FANMAN
05-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Get the SSS, and if need be, down the road, route it for a Humbucker.

FoolOnThePlanet
05-13-2007, 07:54 PM
You should try both out and the one you like the most you should get.

Agreed..

I had the same dilemma, but in the end I went HSS. It's great actually...I mean, SSS is the tradition for strats, but I wasn't dissapointed with their H, it handled my pedals really well and sounds orgasmic through my Twin....

sk8ing_hurtz
05-13-2007, 09:11 PM
eh...will do RG_FANMAN

RPGoof
05-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Get and HSS and a coil split thing.

fenderstrato91
05-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I have an HSS and i love it to death, great for about any style of music

ScottishAngus
05-13-2007, 10:51 PM
hss ftw
bridge singlecoil ftl
neck and middle together ftw

JOEYPWNSU
05-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Sss Ftw!!!

garden of grey
05-13-2007, 11:18 PM
I love my HSS strat.

What kind of "rock" do you play? That is a broad term. Having a bridge humbucker for distortion will do wonders in some cases.

I don't mind the lack of a bridge single coil, as all of my cleans are on the neck pretty much.

sk8ing_hurtz
05-16-2007, 02:53 PM
mmm i play like avenged sevenfold and and stuff like chiodos and silverstien

im just gonna go with the hss...cuz when i play distortion i always use the bridge pickup and when i play blues i always use the neck pickup. i never use the bridge pickup for cleans...

This_Kidd
05-16-2007, 03:17 PM
S-S-S for sure. Classic, perfect. If you want humbuckers don't look at strats. It's not like you need to switch between a humbucker and a single coil mid song, and to be honest switching between them doesn't sound right IMO, the change in tone should come from neck > bridge, not single coil > humbucker.

sk8ing_hurtz
05-17-2007, 02:48 PM
....who said anything about changing pickups mid song?

im not talking about switching between them. im talking about playing say.. slayer and then playing stevie ray vaughn.

surfer12
06-08-2007, 04:46 PM
man I have a Highway 1 Strat S-S-S and I'm blues all the way but i don't use the bridge pickup, that's why im thinking of changing it to a humbucker to get an AC/DC sound or whatever rock(led zeppelin...). What should I buy as humbucker? would a Seymour Duncan do the job?

Nick_
06-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Certainly SSS

the only time I'll get anything remotely strat with a humbucker is when I can afford a Tyler.

CORT noob
06-08-2007, 04:56 PM
I'd go SSS, If you get HSS, the pots won't match the pickups.

aleister
06-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Get the SSS, and if need be, down the road, route it for a Humbucker.

Standard strats come routed HSH. ;)

To the asshat who said you won't be able to play anything "remotely heavy" on an SSS strat, exactly how much experience do you have playing with single coils anyway? I get better metal rhythm tone than my buddy Jayme's Jackson Dinky does with my neck single, so basically, piss off.

Not to mention that a good Strat single coil will be about a million times hotter than your average Fender humbucker at any rate... I've seen this first hand also.

If you're going to buy a strat, buy a STRAT, not a bull**** HSS guitar with Stratocaster on the headstock.

XtAsY2007
06-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Well I have had experience with all the different pickup configurations in strats. SSS, HSS and HSH.

Firstly, let me say there is NOTHING wrong with humbuckers in stratocasters. Yes you lose that twangy bridge single coil sound and yes you will take away alot of the classic tonal characteristics that a stratocaster is famous for. However, if you love the feel and playability of the stratocaster and your musical tastes are based around heavy rock and metal, then having a humbucker in the bridge of a stratocaster is awesome. Take Iron Maiden, they use stratocasters and either play with either single coil sized humbuckers or full sized humbuckers and they sound AWESOME. For the person that said the sound is still crammed full of strattyness when using bridge, thats certainly not true. The SSS configuration is great for the classic fender twang, the the cleans are nicer using the neck position no doubt. The HSS setup is great because you get an awesome distorion (throw in a Super Distortion and stratocasters are awesome for metal and stuff) but you still keep the nice neck clean tone. The HSH setup I very much like and is my main stratocaster actually. I have a Super Distortion in the bridge which is an awsome pickup for rock and metal, a single soil in the middle and a PAF Pro in the neck. What these gives me is a great high gain smooth lead tone from the neck (check out my rate my tone thread to hear it), and a great twangy Fenderish tone when the humbuckers are combined with the middle single coil, so you do not completely lose the classic stratocaster characteristics. There is NOTHING wrong with humbuckers on stratocasters so put them in with confidence if you feel you want to!

untitled039
06-13-2007, 11:17 AM
You could get this:
http://www.gibson.com/Files//USA/2007/SG3BFICH1_.jpg

It's like a Strat in a SG body and the pickups are a bit harsher, but the downside is there is only about 400 of them and they probably cost a million dollars each

This_Kidd
06-13-2007, 11:47 AM
....who said anything about changing pickups mid song?

im not talking about switching between them. im talking about playing say.. slayer and then playing stevie ray vaughn.

In that case, wouldn't you rather have 1 guitar suited to playing SRV/ Blues (alot of blues is bridge single coil too) and then one suited to playing slayer.

I mean, if you wanna play a SRV song then a Slayer song, switch guitars between songs, because you're going to have to fiddle with your amp and fx pedals to change the tone anyway. It's not like you could play SRV on the neck pup then switch to the humbucker and rip a Slayer riff out straight away anyway, unless you're using a metal pedal?

Anyway I say S-S-S and then switch to a different guitar if you want a humbucker tone.

TRH
06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
get an american deluxe hss. i customized mine a bit with two chrome dome lace sensors, a lace hemi humbucker, and a black and and silver pickguard, i love it. that humbucker gets a great punch to it.

Nebjy
06-13-2007, 12:14 PM
GEt a HSS
with:

COIL TAPS! :D

Coil taps is the answer to all the dispute over humbuckers and single coils!

Nebjy
06-13-2007, 12:21 PM
get an american deluxe hss. i customized mine a bit with two chrome dome lace sensors, a lace hemi humbucker, and a black and and silver pickguard, i love it. that humbucker gets a great punch to it.
Mexican > american

libskate44
06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Mexican > american

are you serious?

washburndean
06-13-2007, 01:22 PM
+1..

If you think Mexi Fenders are better than American Fenders, you're retarded.

NOFX182
06-13-2007, 02:14 PM
k, ive played guitar for 6 years, but im a noob to all this technical talk. is SSS three single pickups and HSS humbucker single single? soz

CrashC
06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm in the same boat. Need something versatile for classic blues to heavy rock / metal... so I'm going with the American Deluxe HSS with the S-1 switch. Seems to be the best of both worlds. Second guitar will probably be a Gibson LP Studio, but I'd also like a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.

libskate44
06-13-2007, 02:33 PM
^great plan
youll be very happy with it

abcdboy
06-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I personally think humbuckers on a strat destroys the whole point of a strat. Why not just get an Ibanez or something else instead?

libskate44
06-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I personally think humbuckers on a strat destroys the whole point of a strat. Why not just get an Ibanez or something else instead?
1. not everyone can afford two guitars
2. the bridge single of strats is a very peircing and biting tone
i dont like it

abcdboy
06-16-2007, 01:21 AM
1. not everyone can afford two guitars
2. the bridge single of strats is a very peircing and biting tone
i dont like it
If you want a strat with a humbucker, might as well get an Ibanez instead. They're better suited for metal stuffs. A strat is suppose to be bright and bity (word?).

AznElliot518
06-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Yea just get SSS

libskate44
06-16-2007, 09:28 AM
If you want a strat with a humbucker, might as well get an Ibanez instead. They're better suited for metal stuffs. A strat is suppose to be bright and bity (word?).

i agree a fat strat isnt suited best for metal as well as a more metal designed guitar but i think HSS is superior because it adds more tonal versatility so you go from hard rock to blues with a flick of the pup switch

Adriaan999
06-16-2007, 10:38 AM
SSS for sure

cokeisbetter
06-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Mexican > american
Mexicans are certainly great quality for the price, and sometimes comprable to Americans, sure. But if I had the choice of a free Mexican or American, I know which one I'd take.

abcdboy
06-16-2007, 01:58 PM
i agree a fat strat isnt suited best for metal as well as a more metal designed guitar but i think HSS is superior because it adds more tonal versatility so you go from hard rock to blues with a flick of the pup switch
If you want to play hard rock you can always just use both the bridge and the middle pickup. Well, I guess this is a discussion that can't be won cause, this is all opinionated. =(

Erock503
06-16-2007, 03:19 PM
yeah, all opinion.

IMO, SSS if you're going for blues and rock. There really is nothing like the tone and dynamics you get from a single coil. There are plenty of superstrat shapes with humbuckers in the bridge if you want heavier sounds.

That said, if it's playability that you really like about the strat, then a bridge hum is a great idea imo. I know a few guys that have hums in their strats, and it sounded fine to me for the heavy stuff. Most Jackson Soloists are made of alder, and they are highly revered as great metal axes, so the body wood shouldn't be a problem. Most Strats are routed HSH or swimming pool under the pickguard these days anyway except the RI's, so all you would need to change an SSS to HSS is a new pickguard.

Blompcube
06-16-2007, 03:22 PM
if you get a HSS strat you can put a coil split and still get a single coil tone from the humbucker. you need a 4-wire humbucker to do it so you'd probably need to upgrade. I prefer SSS strats though, they can still do rock perfectly well imo, and they can do softer styles better too.

Kultur Vultur
06-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a Highway One HSS strat and I'm in love with it.

I like playing funky kind and blues stuff in the neck / middle position, rocky stuff at middle / bridge, and a little metal (machine gunning, it's hells of fun) at the bridge. The HSS strats just have great tonal diversity. Even moreso if you go out and grab some better pickups.

CrashC
06-29-2007, 05:05 PM
All the stuff about needing an Ibanez or a Jackson for metal... I can understand where you're coming from. They're built for shredding.

That being said.. I can get super clear blues tones with the humbucker split (using the S-1 switch) on my Am Dlx HSS Strat. Or I can turn off the S-1 switch and get hardcore metal sounds using the right amp/effects. If I remember correctly, quite a few big name metal guitarists in the 80's started out using strats. Corrigan managed to get some pretty raw sounds out of his single coil strats in the 90's too (and still is). He's since moved on to Reverends but the point is, it can be done and done well. Usually when you see a strat used in harder rock, it has a Les Paul counterpoint on lead guitar... kind of like Iha's LP to Corrigan's strat. Balanced well, but both had bite.

For me, it's all about the feel and playability. I just don't like the super light feel of the shredder Ibanez and Jacksons.. it's almost too light and thin.. the neck and the body. Strat's neck scale, width and depth just allow me to play faster and more accurately. It's kind of the middle of the road for me as LPs are too chunky. May have something to do with long and skinny arms/hands/fingers.

jxljxl
06-29-2007, 05:24 PM
S-S-S because I dont think H-S-S looks as damn awesome :D