Things to say to the crowd

PDA

View Full Version : Things to say to the crowd

ToysInTheAttic1
05-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Hello everyone. My band is playing the Battle of the Bands at our school this Saturday and I was wondering what to say to the crowd in between songs. (Besides introducing the songs)

brendan666
05-13-2007, 05:46 PM
What genre of music is it? Besides the common "how are you all doing", it really depends on the audience and the type of music.

yawn
"Guys, I need your attention. Someone in the front of the audience lost her contacts. Please help us find it. It's somewhere on the ground."

Yeah...

sparkysmith
just say what feels good. just get them involved.

diddly14
05-13-2007, 05:47 PM
say like HOW THE **** IS EVERYONE DOING!!! and then introduce ur next song be like this song will **** you all in the ass!!!

Arsisowns
05-13-2007, 05:48 PM
During a song?
"stupid emo/scene stop doing your makeup and start a mosh in the middle"

ToysInTheAttic1
05-13-2007, 05:48 PM
What genre of music is it? Besides the common "how are you all doing", it really depends on the audience and the type of music.

We play classic rock/blues type stuff.

snipelfritz
05-13-2007, 05:49 PM
"If I had the time I'd seduce each and every one of you"

EDIT: seriously, maybe introduce your band members(including sweet nicknames). Really you don't need to say much, unless you feel like it, then say it.

Yakult
05-13-2007, 05:53 PM
During a song?
"stupid emo/scene stop doing your makeup and start a mosh in the middle"

How about "stupid metal kid, wash your hair and wear some antiperspirant, you stink"

CraigKing
05-13-2007, 05:54 PM
you could always get the audience to clap and work that in somehow, audience involvement is a winner i imagine, and its what makes u stand out.

bizkitday4eva
05-13-2007, 05:57 PM
I have played a lot of battle of the bands and played opening and headlining shows. What you say to the crowd is not as important as showing off your songs. Don't just play and/or sing, jump around, go into the crowd(if you have a wireless) and in between songs have a small spot for each member to show there stuff(small guitar solo, drum solo, etc.)

The main thing is to make sure you have your songs down and make sure you don't stop if you mess up. keep going, it might not sound half bad.

B.A.S.S.
05-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I heard a Band who's lead singer writhed around on stage for every song. In between songs he'd say things such as (and i quote) "Tried, tested, and true.... Nipple Clips" and "You know, I never really learned to trust glass dildos..."

The band was callled Deep Soda.

Martyr's Prayer
05-13-2007, 07:57 PM
"We're gonna hit the brown note in this next song so get ready."

"This next songs called (growling voice) ROTTEN BODY LANDSLIDE!"

This band called The Showdown did this one: "Guys I got an announcement to make: I'm getting married!!! I never thought it'd happen. She's real cute, to. Her name is (screaming) HEAVY METAL!!!" We all thought he was serious until he said heavy metal lol...

Pick one word or phrase and say it excessively.

ihaterap101
05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
well you could introduce the band people by what song they wrote when you play the song, also have the singer say let me check if this thing is on and say " if you can hear me say ______ Rock!

works for me

METSOAD
05-14-2007, 02:20 AM
It sort of depends on the style of music. BUt definatly introduce the band members and talk about 1 maybe 2 songs before playing them.

Also mention any websites and demo's you have circling the area just before you play the last couple of songs and mention them again after your last song.

GiantRaven
05-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Just say random crap if you feel like it

Earlier on I was telling people about how I sucked at singing and to go find my pick cause I dropped it

They didn't seem turned off from that

:p:

alienboy18241
05-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Just yell...."HELLO (INSERT YOUR CITY HERE)!!!" I did that once, but it was a very poorly promoted gig with only 7 people in the place, but i think it went over well.

batman123
05-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Well, when gigging out of town and stuff, its good to ask for a place to stay, what you did that day, whats going on, recording, new shows, upcoming tours, introducing band members, any special events/charities, crack a few jokes.... its all good, just have fun mostly.

greendayguitar
05-15-2007, 03:58 PM
"If I had the time I'd seduce each and every one of you"

EDIT: seriously, maybe introduce your band members(including sweet nicknames). Really you don't need to say much, unless you feel like it, then say it.

If I introduced my band with Nicknames, we'd be FirePubes, NoPubes, Fag, and Eyebrowring Guy.

We just stick to names. :p:

Emo-Bass
05-15-2007, 04:56 PM
make fun of your bandmates....crack some jokes bout the funny looking guy in the front....make fun of other bands playfully (not to hurt)

just say things that'll make the crowd enjoy themselves.

nedthehead
05-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Chanting is a must

z4twenny
05-15-2007, 07:15 PM
if there was an act before you always give a "lets hear it for ________" also crack some jokes, try to gauge the audience and find out what'll go over well (no knock knock jokes etc) get'em in the mood, if you're a metal band try something like "this is for all those rowdy motherf#ckers we want a pit right here dead center!" or if yer R&B try something like "we wanna see ya'll dance to this one"

Tombe
06-07-2007, 01:57 PM
If you're introducing members of the band, this is a good one...

"On lead guitar (or whatever) a friend of mine, a friend of yours, a friend of everyone's... Not a friend of yours, though (point to some randomer in the front row). Sadly he hates you, and it's actually a bit strange that you chose to stand right at the front..."

Ur all $h1t
06-07-2007, 06:20 PM
:haha I can't remember who, but some guy once said this:

"ok ok...
Dim the lights, I want to get romantic for a second. No just turn em off. Ya thats it. Ok I want everyone here to start making out, just turn to the nearest girl and do it, we'll wait

*lights go back on, nobody is making out*

Come on... where is the LOVE people, what happened to love"

It went something like that :P

psychodelia
06-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm not terribly charismatic; I've learned this through some experience. So I let the guys in my bands who are do the talking. Similarly, let one or maybe two people do the talking who are able to.

Usually my guys just chat a bit with the crowd, little things that come up, not much pre-planned stuff.

You say you're classic rock and blues, however, so one thing you might try is NOT talking in between songs, when you are the complete focus, but instead doing your talking during a little jam. Get vamping, bring the volume down a bit, and introduce yourselves and the band. If your members are pretty good at improvising, have them do a little solo after you've said a little something about them. Then at the end you close out your little speech, turn up the volume and really get the music going.

gtrhero93
06-09-2007, 10:56 PM
tell a funny story like pete townshend does.
when i saw the who, he told a story about how he wouldn't give mick jagger tickets to his show the morning before. say something to make the crowd laugh.
if you totally f--- up, be like roger and laugh about it.

and say the f-word alot. that is a rock star trademark.

anewhope
06-12-2007, 05:26 PM
I always make a point of thanking everyone for watching us before we play the last song and saying if everyone has enjoyed the set and our songs that they let it all go for our last song. We usually play a song with a guitar intro so I can talk while it's going on so not to let the flow lull. Then I just throw my guitar down and walk off.

During songs I'll talk about if I've ****ed up, if anyone else has ****ed up, how we need more beer and maybe crack a joke too. I'll always rip on my band mates and expect a ripping back. It all depends how confident on stage you are, once you're comfortable with it then it'll all just come naturally

Confusius
06-12-2007, 05:32 PM
YOU LOVE ME YOU REALLY REALLY LOVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

just like the Hanson dude. THat would really get teh crowd pumped

TMAW
06-12-2007, 05:51 PM
I always laugh and smile, joke, tell the crowd that they are lovely and try to stir them up, i always do the cheesy solo introduction, such as 'Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr/Mrs (insert full name of person playing dazzling guitar/bass/drum/keyboard solo) i also just generally say what i am comfortable saying at the time

crazynzer
06-14-2007, 05:43 AM
If you're quite a hard rock band then something along the lines of "how are you dirty jizzers all going today, I wanna see you up the front banging some heads, nobody leaves without minor brain damage" seems to get the crowd worked up.

If you're going more power ballad pull the whole "right, you're proabably not allowed to smoke in this place so instead of whipping out your lighters for this one, everyone get out your cell phone and wave it along with the beat" etc.etc.

Just say something natural and try and talk as if your comfortable - DO NOT crack lame jokes though!

Hard rock/metal - insult the audience/ get them fired up for some mad moshing.

Power ballad - bring back the love and the phone screen/lighter (oh and while the guitarist/whatever is playing the intro ask the tech crew to dim the lights)

Alternative - just act stoned, its the most natural stage of existence for alt rockers.

sam i am
06-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Do what feels natural, I mean you could say something and it would really get the crowd going, yet you could say exactly the same words and receive a stony silence.

SilverStratocas
06-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Hm... You could pull a Dave Mustaine and completely bash a single person in front of a huge crowd...

Only advised when you're REALLY big, and can afford to lose a fan or two. XD

timesharescam
06-18-2007, 02:18 AM
hello. this is my ****, would you like to touch it?
at the right show, you can have a lot of fun

Horebane
06-18-2007, 11:32 AM
:haha I can't remember who, but some guy once said this:

"ok ok...
Dim the lights, I want to get romantic for a second. No just turn em off. Ya thats it. Ok I want everyone here to start making out, just turn to the nearest girl and do it, we'll wait

*lights go back on, nobody is making out*

Come on... where is the LOVE people, what happened to love"

It went something like that :P

I think it was Jesse Lacey from Brand New?

Joshlake
06-23-2007, 05:27 AM
before a solo just get the bass drum on just a constant beat with bass player playing some funky bass line over the top then introduce the band so they have there own little bit and then just say something are you having a ****ing time tonight and then get back into the song , Skid row did that a lot !

bReAdLiNe
06-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Do it like Hetfield: "Are you alive........ How does it feel to be alive??!" :eek:
Or just scream, whatever! ;)

TheDarkestNights
06-23-2007, 05:44 AM
"To all those lazy ****ers not moving ... I ****ed all your mothers last night."

Man-bitch
06-24-2007, 10:29 AM
After the first song, say you canceled your gig at the old people's home just to play here, and then you say for each single song, either "This is something we made when we were stoned yesterday" or "This is something we made when we were on a fishing trip last year". Of course, you were stoned then too, but that's not necessary to add unless you feel the need to.

lolmnt
06-24-2007, 08:44 PM
dont tell the crowd to mosh. if you cant get the crowd to mosh with your music then the wont do it when you tell them