Rocktron Hush vs iSP Decimator

PDA

View Full Version : Rocktron Hush vs iSP Decimator

Persata
05-14-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm currently on the hunt for a noise reduction pedal.

Background - skip this if you don't care!

I used a self modified BD-2 (modded some caps and diodes for a smoother sound, just the ones listen on the Keeley site) on my DSL401's OD2 channel to give me that extra boost I need for my desired metalcore-ish tone.

Problem is, this produces a lot of fuzz, and since my amp is about 5 feet away from my CRT monitor, I get even more when I need to record or play along to a tab.

So the solution would be to get a noise reducer, but I can't decide which one to get.

There's the Rocktron Hush, which is 44 from Thomann.de, and I gather that before the Decimator this was the best bet for a good NR pedal?

Then there's the Decimator itself, at nearly twice the price of the Hush (It's 85 from Highly Strung), is it that much better that it's worth so much?

There's also the other option of an NS-2 but I gather it sucks tone really badly, and with my terrible playing I need something to make up for it :D

Also, will a NR pedal remove the buzz from underneath my notes, or just work whenever I'm not playing anything? Will it clear up my somewhat fuzzy tone and make each note sound a bit clearer?

Cheers for any help!

Tensorspencer
05-14-2007, 08:34 PM
The decimator killed my sustain so I just sold it, I've heard the hush in my friends rig and it was DEAD quiet, but he also had a really nice compression rack unit and it was the hush rack unit.

Guitarminator
05-15-2007, 02:12 AM
I've got a hush(pedal) and It's great....doesn't soak up much of your sound unless it's set really high, and you never really need to set it very high...ever. I usually have the knob at about 7 or 8 o'clock...barely on at all and it really takes away noise....even with p-90's in the noisiest of environments.

Dave_Mc
05-15-2007, 06:46 AM
the decimator doesn't do anything to my sustain...

it kills noise when you aren't playing... not so much (but still a bit) when you are...

i haven't tried the hush, it would be daft to try to compare...

thebrewfan
05-15-2007, 09:42 AM
The Hush and the Decimator are two different things. One is a noise gate and one reduces noise.

Freddedonna
05-15-2007, 11:19 AM
I used to have to hush and I sold it. As soon as I stepped on it, it KILLED my guitar's sound, even on the minimum setting (wasn't a faulty unit). I now have a DBX-266XL rack compressor with built-in noise-gate and reducer. My rig's dead quiet and I got that for like 150 on eBay. The comp's pretty nice to have too.

thebrewfan
05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
I used to have to hush and I sold it. As soon as I stepped on it, it KILLED my guitar's sound, even on the minimum setting (wasn't a faulty unit). I now have a DBX-266XL rack compressor with built-in noise-gate and reducer. My rig's dead quiet and I got that for like 150 on eBay. The comp's pretty nice to have too.

Did it suck away all your high end? Cause that happened to mine and I just sent away for a new one.

Freddedonna
05-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Did it suck away all your high end? Cause that happened to mine and I just sent away for a new one.
No, it just sucked everything. It worked just fine with another rig so I knew it wasn't the pedal.

Persata
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
So, the Hush and Decimator are two different types of pedal?

I didn't realise this, thought they both had the same function!

So if I wanted to cut noise when I'm not playing, and also reduce it when I am playing, what's the ideal pedal for me? The Decimator?

hmmm_de_hum
05-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Well i cant say i've had much experience with the decimator, but the Hush built into my Rocktron Preamp is absolutely fantastic, there is a very noticable and adjustable threshold which has a great range for all styles of music. It just tightens everything up for my high gain sounds and stops the excess bleed from delay on my lead sounds.

matt bickerton
05-15-2007, 01:43 PM
out of curiosity....would getting say a decimator and setting it to it's highest noise cut-off point (or whatever it is), be a cheap solution to being able to crank a valve amp further?

Freddedonna
05-15-2007, 02:31 PM
No, it's only cutting out your signal, not your amp's power.

Dave_Mc
05-15-2007, 04:44 PM
^ agreed, you just wouldn't hear anything...

-megadeth-
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Does the noise decimator stop any excess ringing of strings or something???

Yngwi3
05-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Does the noise decimator stop any excess ringing of strings or something???no, it stops the feedback and crap when you're not playing and a little when you are playing

Persata
05-15-2007, 06:29 PM
So what's the difference between the Hush and the Decimator?

From reading about them, they still seem the exact same :(

dogmeat
05-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Nice to see someone who can spell Mr Ross Persata. I think they're both the same thing, just different circuitry.

Freddedonna
05-15-2007, 06:57 PM
So what's the difference between the Hush and the Decimator?

From reading about them, they still seem the exact same :(
The hush brings the noise's volume down, but always keeps your main signal volume equal.

The decimator just cuts everything when you don't play.

Persata
05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
The hush brings the noise's volume down, but always keeps your main signal volume equal.

The decimator just cuts everything when you don't play.

So would the Hush be better if I want to cut the noise underneath my notes also?

Freddedonna
05-15-2007, 07:06 PM
So would the Hush be better if I want to cut the noise underneath my notes also?
Honestly, look at something that does both. My compressor cost about the same price, maybe 20-30 dollars more, and it does both and even more.

bones5051
07-04-2007, 01:41 AM
The guy that founded Rocktron left and started ISP, if that makes any difference. I own a decimator and am quite happy with it.

KazVH100R
07-04-2007, 06:59 AM
out of curiosity....would getting say a decimator and setting it to it's highest noise cut-off point (or whatever it is), be a cheap solution to being able to crank a valve amp further?

A cheap solution is if you get an EQ pedal, put it in the FX loop (serial) and then turn all the knobs down on that. I do this with my Fish n Chips EQ I got for 20. It really works. e.g. I can crank my AOR30W to 5-6 on volume and it's still at loud-ish bedroom volume.

People haven't mentioned this yet but the THD Hotplate has a built in noise reduction circuit. So as well as attenuating your amp, it's supposed to clean up the noise as well. Sounds too good to be true so I bought one to test it out. Should be waiting for me when I get home tonight :D

I'll report how well it reduces noise.

wongacaster
07-04-2007, 07:11 AM
from the sound clips ive heard of the decimator it ****ing slays noise.
it really is great i will probably purchase one once i buy new pups and start a pedal board lol.
but yeah from what ive heard their really really good.

Tarzan_man
07-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Decimator makes my stop-start playing tighter than a ducks arse. Still have to find the perfect setting for all my tones though.

scott316
07-04-2007, 07:42 AM
I use the same amp as you with an Ibanez Tubescreamer on OD2, and i use the MXR Smart Gate and it does the job perfectly. You set the rate at which the Gate kicks in and silences those unwanted hisses and feedback when your not playing. It did the job so well I bought another for my clean amp to clean some some white noise away and it does this excellently as well. Takes nothing away from your tone, none at all.