Singing tricks

PDA

View Full Version : Singing tricks

Descendent-182
05-16-2007, 11:43 PM
I sing backup in a punk band and some lead parts but every time I'm done singing My throat hurts is this normal? Or is there something I'm doing wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. Peace out

Ibanezax372
05-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Eventually it will stop hurting, but I suggest more practice as well as lots and lots of hot tea. Just buy a big box and drink it everyday, especially before during and after practice.

Descendent-182
05-16-2007, 11:55 PM
thanks man

opf
05-17-2007, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't say it was normal for you throat to hurt after singing. In my opinion, you're probably pushing your vocals too much, so try to relax

Avalanchi
05-17-2007, 08:25 PM
If it hurts when you begin to sing... that's bad, however if it hurts when you've been singing for a while that's good. You just hare a sore vocal chords, your becoming a stronger singer.

af_the_fragile
05-18-2007, 05:19 AM
The basic singing rule is....

IF IT HURTS, STOP!!!

you are pushing your vocals too far. This way you are only damaging your voice and it wont be good for any future singing. Start off slow.. then slowly build your voice to the level where it doesnt doesn't hurt. Thats the way to go.
And yeah, warm up your voice before you go to sing. Warm up is really important.

Just keep practicing you vocal abilities, if it hurts, stop. You're pushing yourself and damaging your vocal chords. Keep practicing and eventually you'll reach the phase where it wont hurt you to sing/scream at that level anymore.

ChordProgressiv
05-19-2007, 02:28 PM
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD MONITORS.

I've found that the most important thing when singing live is to be able to hear yourself.
Otherwise, I (and I think most people) tend to strain their voices by singing either to loud or just more harshly, in an effort to sound good. If you can hear yourself, you'll know it sounds okay, and you'll be able to sing like you do when you're alone, with no other noise.

Also, warming up your voice really helps.
What I do (this mightn't suit you, but figure out a method that does) is:

Sing "Rock and Roll Queen" by The Subways (My voice is naturally quite deep, so this stretches it a bit, gets me into the higher registers a bit)

Sing both the deep voiced intro and the first verse of Lean on Me by Bill Withers, this deep bit loosens the vocal chords, and then going into the higher pitched verse stretches them out a bit. I'll usually repeat this a few times, until I'm happy with it.

Basically, take a little time thinking about your voice(are you deep or high pitched naturally) and sorting out a warm up that takes you from as low as you can comfortably go to as high as you can.

It's important to not strain yourself to much, or you'll sound just that, strained, and overall, you'll find it more difficult to sing for any real amount of time.

So, basically monitors and warmup.