Should I start a Band?

PDA

View Full Version : Should I start a Band?

badpun
05-17-2007, 06:16 AM
I was wondering should i start a band to help me improve my horrible skills at guitar the only thing that stopping me from starting a band is that i dont know anyone who really wants to be in a band except one of my good friends who plays bass.

The problem with my friend is that he is a bit egotistical, arrogant and always thinks that he's better than me musically speaking, he always seems to think that its a competetion and it kinda pisses me off

So should i shelve my pride and jam with my friend or just keep playing by myself?

P.s he's a good friend but he just gets on my nerves by saying how good he is at bass when we talk about guitars and skills.

-SpasticInk-
05-17-2007, 06:22 AM
Just jam. =]

lagunasunrise
05-17-2007, 06:25 AM
well....if u keep playing itll make u better skillz wise and if u jam with ur friend, itll make u better people-wise

J6strings21fret
05-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Yeah...starting a band wont make you a better player...just "cooler" :P

mattyp90
05-17-2007, 06:41 AM
He could just be trying to convince you that he's worth starting a band with, he might change a bit after you start it up.
Also you should be wanting to improve your skills to get a band, not wanting a band to improve your skills. Having a band is a cool thing and if your good enough to play a wide variety of tunes, then it makes it a whole lot more fun.

What's the point of being amazing if you've no band to be amazing with.

doomnight
05-17-2007, 06:44 AM

Yes it will... I don't know why but it will... Maybe social interaction with other musicians, you know...

Frunkke
05-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Either keep playing by yourself until you are descent on the guitar THEN start a band with others imo, in that way you can make him kinda jelaous, or you can always tell him the truth that you get pissed each time he has to get dominant, musically speaking.

CobenBlack
05-17-2007, 07:02 AM
yeah make the band. i wasn't a great player then i joined a band, and i became better, people showed me how to do stuff, spurred me on, and gave me ideas, now im good. as well as that its a good experience.

music man
05-21-2007, 03:49 AM
Id say just jam for now and see how it works out. If it is going well and you feel like you two play off each other well, try and get a drumer to join in the jamming and hey presto you have the startings of a band :)

music man
05-21-2007, 03:51 AM

Thats actually ture. I had no socal life, i joined a band. I have a socail life :)

/Stroy telling mode

FunkasPuck
05-21-2007, 05:14 AM
jamming will improve your playing sooooooooooo much. if you cant find a drummer, get a drum machine. and if your bassist ever gives you any $$$$ for not being good enough, then ask him (in a tone dripping with sarcasm) how many weeks it took him to get to his jaco pastorius like level of skill. that should shut him up.

the great thing about people who get all snidey when they think they are better than you is that you can completely mug them off with a simple choice of words.

i remember a kid at my college who made the rash claim that he could "kick my ass....at guitar"

this was infront of all the girls he was trying to impress. i just said i didnt realise it had become a competition and he looked like an arrogant wanker.
i later found out that he couldnt "kick my ass at guitar". he was rubbish (and a couple of simple runs through the blues scale showed him up nicely). he played adam sandler songs and tried to pass them off as his own. i took GREAT relish in pointing this out, and his face was a picture when the gaggle of impressed girls let out a thouroughly unimpressed "oh...i thought you wrote those songs"

Guitargod12345
05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
It'll help you with coordination, Another thing you could do, is record 30 seconds of a rythmn part the a tape recorder, and just jam over that, and play the same part over it, to make sure your rythmn isn't shaky.

KavaticaMetal
05-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Wow, that is a pretty NOT true statement....joining a band forces you to be creative and it teaches you how to work with other musicians...it gives you a drive to be better because you wanna make it somewhere which you don't really get if your just trying to learn on your own....You can also learn stuff from the members of your band.
Being in a band is one of the best ways to impove your skills. as far as the "coolness" goes....only if you play good music will you look cool...if you get up on stage and play crap...you will look dumb...plain and simple..especially if it is your first band...75% of kids first bands suck..mine did

badpun
05-31-2007, 06:49 AM
It'll help you with coordination, Another thing you could do, is record 30 seconds of a rythmn part the a tape recorder, and just jam over that, and play the same part over it, to make sure your rythmn isn't shaky.

I think i might do this it seem like a pretty good idea
ive basically given up on my friend coz he's just too egotistical for me
so i'll play on my own for now and maybe join a band later.

J6strings21fret
06-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Yes it will... I don't know why but it will... Maybe social interaction with other musicians, you know...

I get that at the place where I get lessons...and the music store?

J6strings21fret
06-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Wow, that is a pretty NOT true statement....joining a band forces you to be creative and it teaches you how to work with other musicians...it gives you a drive to be better because you wanna make it somewhere which you don't really get if your just trying to learn on your own....You can also learn stuff from the members of your band.
Being in a band is one of the best ways to impove your skills. as far as the "coolness" goes....only if you play good music will you look cool...if you get up on stage and play crap...you will look dumb...plain and simple..especially if it is your first band...75% of kids first bands suck..mine did

First off, no one is forced to be creative. I could say "Hey come over with your bass and we'll jam or something" it doesent always work....Yes sometimes you can be creative but highly doubted will you in the first week of learning your instrument..

KavaticaMetal
06-01-2007, 09:21 AM
First off, no one is forced to be creative. I could say "Hey come over with your bass and we'll jam or something" it doesent always work....Yes sometimes you can be creative but highly doubted will you in the first week of learning your instrument..

true true, but i'm pretty sure that's not called starting a band....i think that's just jamming. big difference...jamming is strictly for fun and unless while jamming you manage to write, record, master, and realease an album...it's really not gonna get you anywhere. where as being in a band, the whole point of that is to write songs and get good at what your playing. as well as get somewhere and have people hear your music. you don't care if people hear your music when your are jamming cause it's just you foolin around. not that i'm saying that being in a band always works out, but it will give you experience in music, and in band politics...i still thing it's a good idea. however, I definantly agree with you about the whole first week thing. very new beginers will not be able to play their instument at a level to where they can write songs...(to threadstarter) so if you are at that level, it won't do you much good, but if you can play a little, than i say go for it.

lolmnt
06-01-2007, 04:43 PM
i would start a band or jam, whatever you want to call it. When i was learning how to play I learned better by making up crappy songs using different scales and chords, i didnt really learn by playing other peoples songs. It'll also be good to play with somebody better than you because they can show you stuff and help you out. It'll also be more fun than playing by yourself.