new band is this normal

PDA

View Full Version : new band is this normal

mrrjf19
05-18-2007, 04:57 PM
i started a new band :D and i'm as happy as can be. but all three of us like different stuff: me grunge, bass goth and metallica, drums, nu metal. The bassists wants us to wear gothy clothes and wear makeup, paint our nails and have stage names, the drummer and i don't. will this be a big problem.

AND JIMI HENDRIX DIDN'T WRITE ERUPTION VAN HALEN DID MY SIG IS A QOUTE

xsv
05-18-2007, 05:01 PM
yea it will be a problem. even though it does give you variety in combining genres, its best if all you guys stick to a style and agree on a style.

Sixpack5001
05-18-2007, 05:02 PM
yeah down the road it will all rear its ugly head its best to deal with it now

mrrjf19
05-18-2007, 05:02 PM
okay, i bet we guys can compromise if it comes to that.

jansa33
05-18-2007, 05:04 PM
i started a new band :D and i'm as happy as can be. but all three of us like different stuff: me grunge, bass goth and metallica, drums, nu metal. The bassists wants us to wear gothy clothes and wear makeup, paint our nails and have stage names, the drummer and i don't. will this be a big problem.

bass players always $$$$ up the genres jus as my bassist does to my band

mrrjf19
05-18-2007, 05:08 PM
i know but i don't want to make him quit because i don't want to play his type of music that would be stupid

Dutch_Apples
05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Why did you form a band with people like this if it would be a conflict? Some musicians just aren't smart.

Freunleven
05-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Use that conflict to help drive the band creatively. Oh, and be sure to compromise. There's no reason you can't fuse grunge, metal and nu-metal into something new and powerful.

Find the common ground that you all agree on - there must be at least one song, somewhere on this planet, that you all want to play. Maybe it's "For Whom The Bell Tolls," or "Jeremy" or "Down With The Sickness." Find that one song, and play it as a unit. Whole. Cohesive. Then, choose another one, as a group. Continue on thusly until you've perfected playing together and can start writing your own material, again as a unit.

Oh, and as far as the "stage name" thing goes, everybody's got a nickname. Everyone wearing black could work, too, or dressing just in black, but each of you wearing a t-shirt with your favorite band on it. It's sort of a compromise, but not really too much of one.

Just work together, and try to make it happen.

:satan:

mrrjf19
05-19-2007, 09:34 AM
we all have been wanting to play for whom the bells toll. thanks

steven seagull
05-19-2007, 09:40 AM
I suggest worrying more about what you're playing than what you're wearing, you're not Beyonce.

mrrjf19
05-19-2007, 09:41 AM
yeah i know just wondering though

properBo
05-19-2007, 10:05 AM
bass players always $$$$ up the genres jus as my bassist does to my band

So do I. :D
It's pretty funny cause they're into indie and modern rock and I like metal and punk, but it can cause some conflict between us.

EZLN libertad
05-19-2007, 11:36 AM
find common interests, i remember reading an article about tool, and how theyre talking about how they all have really different music tastes, but if they relied on that it would be hell, and they wouldn't be together, so intead they rely on common things, not just in music, but things the believe and whatnot

i use that a lot for my new band, we're mainly metal, but i mean, i have a lot of classical influence in me, and i really wanna do something that has a lot of harmony in it, and really technical playing, while our drummer wants to do more drop-d lamb of god type stuff, and i really do not like lamb of god, but my friends a very good drummer, so we've reached a midpoint, a lot of riffs we use are faster technical, but we'll do break downs and verses with some more logish riffs, though i dont really like their style

just be chill about it, everyone has their own influences, thats what makes a band unique

WildthingJR
05-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Different music tastes make a band better imho. I mean, look at my band - I'm more into progressive rock, our lead guitarists likes metallica and SOAD, the drummer is more of a mainstream guy and the bassist is listening to funk.
It helps you to develop your style as a band.

I don't know about the clothes, though.

METSOAD
05-20-2007, 08:46 AM
it can only help you to improve musically, our singer likes kind of showbiz tunes and indie stuff, our other guitarist (music man) is classic rock and blues, our drummer is kind of modern metal and me and the other guitatist (TMAW) are mainly into nwobhm and thrash with alt-rock, classic rock, blues, modern metal, funk and a whole lot of prog mixed in, so ultimately it can only give you a better sound

mrrjf19
05-20-2007, 07:05 PM
i see what your saying now.

HyperBoy2519
05-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Use that conflict to help drive the band creatively. Oh, and be sure to compromise. There's no reason you can't fuse grunge, metal and nu-metal into something new and powerful.

thats the way to go. actually would sound pretty cool

music man
05-21-2007, 03:54 AM
it can only help you to improve musically, our singer likes kind of showbiz tunes and indie stuff, our other guitarist (music man) is classic rock and blues, our drummer is kind of modern metal and me and the other guitatist (TMAW) are mainly into nwobhm and thrash with alt-rock, classic rock, blues, modern metal, funk and a whole lot of prog mixed in, so ultimately it can only give you a better sound

totally agree, our bands mucisal diversity has impruved us no end.

EDIT: i am not just classic rock and Blues, i also like NWOBHM and funk ... just to get the books straight :o

FunkasPuck
05-21-2007, 04:37 AM
thank god its only the bassist who wants the style change. nobody listens to the bassist anyway.

how about your band plays MUSIC, and you worry about the clothes you are going to wear in your fashion design club?

Freunleven
05-21-2007, 04:36 PM
thank god its only the bassist who wants the style change. nobody listens to the bassist anyway.

how about your band plays MUSIC, and you worry about the clothes you are going to wear in your fashion design club?
Bassists the world over are lining up to pimp-slap you now . . . . :p:

Yes, worry about the music first and foremost, and then consider image later - even if you never really worry about it. Unless you decide to wear matching jumpsuits and masks, I don't see that it really matters what you wear.

Heck, as long as the sock doesn't fall off, it's all good.

:satan: