Getting Gigs

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Gigs

krymson
05-18-2007, 06:07 PM
So how do you get gigs at local clubs? Do you just drop off a demo tape with a phone number and hope thet phone back? I dont know how to really approach this so if someone could fill me in that would be awsome.

Yngwi3
05-18-2007, 06:09 PM
if you know they do gigs, go there and ask whoever organises them if you could have a slot :)

Dutch_Apples
05-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Something tells me I need to write an article on how to book "regular" gigs for a sticky considering we see this same topic every week or so.

Dutch Apples Quick Answer: Make a press kit. Call every place you have in mind to gig and ask to speak with the person who books bands. Also ask them what they need from you. Every Club is different, I've been at some clubs that hate demos/press kits but will book an unknown band for a "showcase" event. Make phone calls and CALL THEM BACK. Someone has to hire you... people need entertainment.

crash_course
05-18-2007, 11:38 PM
all of that.
and theres always a few local booking agents on myspace or just myspace's of local clubs.
you can also check out the how to set up a show thread as well

krymson
05-20-2007, 03:29 PM
awsome, thanks for the advice.

KavaticaMetal
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Whenever Kavatica gets gigs it is usually through Back on the Map booking(now Won't Look Back booking) which is a Awesome Memphis booking company. they bring all the good shows. either that or we book our own shows. We have never had a press pack and do fine. but a lot of bands make them and do great too so you got your options. i would definantly advise going to shows of your music genre and find out who is putting on the shows..is it the venue or a booking company..in my experience(at least in the Memphis metal/hardcore scene) venues usually don't put on shows the booking companies do. anyway, once you find out who go and talk to them and see what that specific company/venue wants you to do to get a show...some just want your myspace link, others want a lot more...ya just gotta talk to people man....it helps to make sure you say hello and talk to the dudes that book everytime your at a show..it makes them remember you!

krymson
06-02-2007, 06:11 PM
What about renting out places like a hall in a community center or something?

Also if they do alow that, is it your fault if something goes wrong. i.e. any damages.

KavaticaMetal
06-05-2007, 09:18 AM
You can always try and do that. some places like that are pretty cheap too. but usually the answer to you second question is yes, you are to blame if something gets broken. I've never seen a community center with a P.A. system though...make sure you bring a good one to run out of...at least for vocals, but make sure all the bands have good enough equipment to keep up with the drums...cause nothing is worse than going to a show at some community center and not hearing anything but a wall of random notes and beats.....not fun.

krymson
06-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Awsome, we have a PA and good enough equipement. What about printing off tickets, were can you get this done? Or do some people just do their own.

Alternate_rock
06-06-2007, 01:47 AM
well, if its a small gig you dont really need tickets. wel not where i live. my band plays at bars and stuff and parties and we dont ever have tickets, you pay when you go, if its a paying show.

KavaticaMetal
06-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Dude, for local shows all you need is a permanant marker and a piece of paper. just make a when somebody walks in, take their money, make a tally on your paper, and write whatever number they are on their hand. no need for tickets at a local show...way to much work.

krymson
06-06-2007, 05:32 PM
good idea, that sounds easier and less expensive.