How long does it take?

PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take?

Papathurzday
05-19-2007, 08:28 AM
I just got a message from a local venue on myspace asking if I wanted to open for Epica on September 15th. I would love to do this. I have never played live before, but I'm getting a band together of lots of experienced people who have played live many times. If we started rehearsing and practicing this week, would we be ready to play for epica in september? I would think we would but I'v never been in a formal band before so I reallly can't be sure.

Thanks.

Four Symbols
05-19-2007, 08:32 AM
^ It depends on the skill level of you and your band mates. Sometimes bands have a chemistry, sometimes they don't. That's really important. I've had bands where immediately we jam and it works perfect, and I've had bands where we had large hurdles to jump over before we could play.

chrisatgrace
05-19-2007, 09:40 AM
i would think so.

Nihil
05-23-2007, 05:23 PM
i had a gig after 3 weeks of our band being together, our drummer couldnt join us most of the time and only the bassist knew the songs, we sucked but that was mostly because we were nervous and my other guitarist had a **** guitar that went out of tune after the first song, so yes, it's possible

tard on tour
05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
yeah, easily, youve got months. how long does your set need to be? just remember to put some covers in that you think the audience will like and recognise.

z4twenny
05-23-2007, 05:37 PM
^ yeah it depends on the length of the set, i would think surely you could get 3 or 4 songs down by then. but as someone above posted it depends on the bands chemistry, how skilled everyone is and also how devoted they are (which really plays a BIG part)

Dutch_Apples
05-23-2007, 05:46 PM
My question is why did this promoter ask you to open for whoever the hell this band is if you didn't even have a band to begin with? They must be desparate.

September is plenty of time if you have good enough musicians.

Echelon
05-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Thats more than enough time so long as youre practicing at least once a week and remember to just jam for about 10-15 minutes at every practice, thats the easiest and quickest way to form songs.
But yeah, keep practicing regularly and you'll get it done because you have a deadline, its worse when you dont have a deadline because then you can not write stuff for ages like my band.
We have 10 songs and have been going for over a year, thats really bad, I know.

Also, try some really easy covers such as Blitzkreig Bop, we covered that when we first started and still use it in our set as its really easy to play for every member and the crowd always know the words.