VOX AC30, CC1 vs CC2

PDA

View Full Version : VOX AC30, CC1 vs CC2

Nezek
05-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Ok I'm gonna buy the amp ...
I've tried the CC1 at the store, they didnt have the CC2 that's not the celestion blues version .
the choice is between the normal cc2 (G175's? )
and the cc1 (Celestion Neodog, I think) .

Also, i've heard those things have some reliability issues.. would love to have some opinions or past experience with'em - but regardless, the tone is SO amazing, i'll get it anyways .

Thanks

colin617
05-19-2007, 11:55 AM
I love my CC2X. I have yet to have any issues at all with it (and it takes a lot of road abuse). Either choice will sound great, but I would pick the CC2.

Roc8995
05-19-2007, 12:07 PM
The CC1 was discontinued, so you'll get a very good deal on it. You'll most likely want to change the speakers on either one, as the stock ones aren't the greatest.
I'd go for the CC2, just because the CC1s were discontinued before they worked out all the kinks. A new CC2 shouldn't have any reliability issues, where the CC1 might.

Gutch220
05-19-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd get the 2x12

slatsmania
05-19-2007, 01:42 PM
I bought the CC1 in a pawn shop yesterday. It's a tonal masterpiece. Obviously, I haven't had it long enough to discover any reliability concerns. The CC1 was probably discontinued because it was almost the same cost as the standard CC2, and most people bought the CC2 as a result, figuring the two speakers were worth it for the extra $50. It's a logical conclusion.

The reason the CC1 cost so much, though, is because the single speaker in it is that much more expensive than the Wharfdales in the stock CC2.

The AC30CC is a heavy combo in any form, but the 1x12 is obviously going to be lighter, if that's a concern.

Also, if you have any desire to upgrade the speakers, you only have to upgrade one in the CC1. :) I'm thinking an alnico Tone Tubby would sound absolutely awesome, but the stock speaker really ain't bad at all.

I'm in serious honeymoon with mine right now. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't've bought the 1x12 if I was buying new (the 2x12 is the standard), but I got a steal on this thing. Now that I have it, I'm kinda happy about having only one speaker to upgrade, should I choose to. Also, any version of the amp can be used as a head for any 8 or 16 ohm cab you might want to connect to it.

For equal cost, I'd go for the 2x12. But if you can save serious money on the CC1, it's a very viable option.

Nezek
05-19-2007, 02:07 PM
wow that was informative :)
im not gonna change the speaker, that Neodog sounded great in the shop .
And since i now know the CC-1 was discontinued im gonna try getting a lower price.

Thanks a lot

slatsmania
05-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Cool, good luck!

In the meantime, here's an article on the AC30's (http://www.guitaramplifiermagazine.com/pub/2005/april/vox/vox-custom-classic6.htm) that you'll want to bookmark. Probably more informative than the user manual, and it will pump you up over buying the thing!

It's an outstanding amp. The features are very "boutique," and the tone's incredible. :heart:

darthbuttchin
05-19-2007, 03:30 PM
I bought the CC1 in a pawn shop yesterday. It's a tonal masterpiece. Obviously, I haven't had it long enough to discover any reliability concerns. The CC1 was probably discontinued because it was almost the same cost as the standard CC2, and most people bought the CC2 as a result, figuring the two speakers were worth it for the extra $50. It's a logical conclusion.

The reason the CC1 cost so much, though, is because the single speaker in it is that much more expensive than the Wharfdales in the stock CC2.

The AC30CC is a heavy combo in any form, but the 1x12 is obviously going to be lighter, if that's a concern.

Also, if you have any desire to upgrade the speakers, you only have to upgrade one in the CC1. :) I'm thinking an alnico Tone Tubby would sound absolutely awesome, but the stock speaker really ain't bad at all.

I'm in serious honeymoon with mine right now. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't've bought the 1x12 if I was buying new (the 2x12 is the standard), but I got a steal on this thing. Now that I have it, I'm kinda happy about having only one speaker to upgrade, should I choose to. Also, any version of the amp can be used as a head for any 8 or 16 ohm cab you might want to connect to it.

For equal cost, I'd go for the 2x12. But if you can save serious money on the CC1, it's a very viable option.

how come you always the get the nicest gear?
and all the time aswell.
: ( meh one day i will get a nice amp. thats a promise lol

slatsmania
05-19-2007, 03:43 PM
how come you always the get the nicest gear?
and all the time aswell.
: ( meh one day i will get a nice amp. thats a promise lol

:D

Because I scour Craig's List like a mental patient and wander thru pawn shops a couple times a month in hopes of finding anything worthwhile.

The heavens opened when I saw this Vox on the floor amongst the all the solid state trash from Fender, Marshall, Crate, and Kustom, etc. I couldn't believe it. I keep going to these shops even though I never see anything good. So I ran out of the store, right to my bank, and returned to make a cash deal that the owners were only too happy to make. Everybody but the poor schmuck who pawned it in the first place is happy. :p: