Me and the state of my band

PDA

View Full Version : Me and the state of my band

LauIsSedated
05-20-2007, 07:35 AM
UG probably hears this kind of stuff all the time but i could use the advice anyway. You see this is my first band ever, I've been playing with these guys for about 5 months now, we've had a gig which was decent and we practice once a week. Now you see we all got together one day eventhough we hardly knew each other simply for the fact that we each wanted to play in a band. It started kind of akward since we really didn't know each other but over the past few months we've grown really really tight. Just last night we went to this huge jazz festival together and laughed at other bands and made big plans for the future and whatnot. I think I'm in a great band besides 3 problems (here they come). First of all we consist of a Bassist, Drummer, Guitarist and me which is guitar and vox. Now our drummer and Bassist are really solid players, extremely dedicated, and concentrated. But our guitarist just plain sucks, he's been playing longer than I have but he has no sense of musicallity in him at all, no rhythm, no timing, but technically he's okay. other than that he's a swell guy. Problem number 2: Our bassist is a babe, the drummer and guitarist are pretty gaga over her and i'm sure it grow over time, I'm sure that'll lead to trouble. and problem number 3 (the smallest really): Our bassist is really concentrated and all but I think she doesn't put much enthusiasm in her playing, she plays right but she does'nt play with any flair or style. My and the other guys show off and play about all the time, we we're hoping she would grow into it as well. I already told her a number of times, I really don't care if it hurts your playing just put some feeling into it.

Now really I'm not the Bandleader or anything but i've grown into my leader like role naturaly, so it feels kind of akward to kick anyone out. These guys are my pals and all but can you suggest anything to help the situation out a bit? I'm guessing problem 1 is the most difficult at the moment. thanks in advance.

Lendorav
05-20-2007, 07:47 AM
I think you're just thinking too much. If I were you I'd just wait and see how everything turns out.

The bassist is a babe - so what? As long as she doesn't come to band practices nude the drummer's and guitarist's concentration should be fine.

The bassist doesn't play with any "flair" or "style"? The way she plays IS her style.

The only thing that's most likely to seem as a problem is your guitarist. You said he has no rhythm or timing - how come he manages to play the guitar? I think he's the one you should talk to instead of complaining about the bassist's lack of "flair".

revan1013
05-20-2007, 07:50 AM
This is the position I never want to be in. That's tough though. Are you guys serious about progressing as a band? If so, you might just have to boot the guitarist. The bassist, well that could become really dramatic, hard to say how to deal with that. And as for her style, maybe you can tutor her or something? There are some players who just don't look emotional when playing, and it's not always a bad thing if you work with it.

supernashwankid
05-20-2007, 07:54 AM
If you don't already, get a metronome into your practices. You may think you're tight, but a metronome will ensure it. It'll also force your guitarist to up his game, as his timing problems will stand out, and that, my friend, is where a chick in the band will help no end.

Other than that, if your drummer and guitarist can keep it in their pants, you guys should be fine. Your bassist isn't the problem.

whalepudding
05-20-2007, 07:56 AM
^+1. I wouldn't really care about the last two. How bad is the guitarist? You said the gig went ok, so does that mean he's not dragging the band down or anything? If he's really causing a problem, talk to him about it, tell him to get a metronome and practise with it.

EDIT: I was +1ing Lendorav.

LauIsSedated
05-20-2007, 08:00 AM
I think you're just thinking too much. If I were you I'd just wait and see how everything turns out.

The bassist is a babe - so what? As long as she doesn't come to band practices nude the drummer's and guitarist's concentration should be fine.

The bassist doesn't play with any "flair" or "style"? The way she plays IS her style.

The only thing that's most likely to seem as a problem is your guitarist. You said he has no rhythm or timing - how come he manages to play the guitar? I think he's the one you should talk to instead of complaining about the bassist's lack of "flair".

Now If you've read correctly I stated quite clearly that our bassists lack of flair during playing was the least of my worries at the moment but it remains worrisome. While I'm throwing my guitar around and everyone is doing judo rolls (exaggerated example) our bassist is standing stock still, not moving a muscle and looking overall dull. She hasn't mentioned anything about stage fright but if Dee Dee Ramone could handle I'm sure she could too.

Now the fact that the Bassist is a babe is quite a problem, even though you might have balls of steel you could imagine what something like this could lead to. When I say they like her I mean they really like her its not affecting their concentration (yet), but as we grow tighter and tighter as a band you'd think this might lead to something or other right? What if she decides to enter into a relationship with the drummer (=guitarist is devistated). What if she decides to enter into a relationship with someone outside the band (=Both guys devistated). All in all i'm not to glad with your overall lack of consideration... but thanks for bothering in any case. And thanks for the reall help revan.

whalepudding
05-20-2007, 08:08 AM
What if she decides to enter into a relationship with the drummer (=guitarist is devistated). What if she decides to enter into a relationship with someone outside the band (=Both guys devistated).Then they'll have to deal with it, won't they? I'd say just leave it, there's not much you can do about it, and I doubt anything will happen. And they might (probably will) get over being 'gaga' over her.

Although if her and the drummer start going out that might cause friction between the drummer and guitarist, like you said, but there's not much you can do about it, and it might not happen. So I say just leave it and see what happens.

Dutch_Apples
05-20-2007, 08:15 AM
I say don't worry about everything too much considering it's your first band. First bands always break up at some point, so you need to make the best of what you have now and decide where you want to be. If the guitarist is terrible, just mention something to him politely and find out what his musical goals are. I once knew a friend who had a band where one of the "members" was just one of their friends who showed up with a guitar..seriously.. this guy would just show up at practices with his guitar and expect to play with these guys.. the stupid thing was they let him and it sounded like ass. Good players = good band?

LauIsSedated
05-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Then they'll have to deal with it, won't they? I'd say just leave it, there's not much you can do about it, and I doubt anything will happen. And they might (probably will) get over being 'gaga' over her.

Although if her and the drummer start going out that might cause friction between the drummer and guitarist, like you said, but there's not much you can do about it, and it might not happen. So I say just leave it and see what happens.

No I don't think you understand the situation. We've only known each other for 5 months, so if my above said example were to happen (which probably will considering a couple of past situations) they'd probably know each other well enough to hate each other's guts, but they don't know each other well enough to let bygones be bygones and be pals again (at least not at the rate i'd hope it could happen).

Lendorav
05-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Now If you've read correctly I stated quite clearly that our bassists lack of flair during playing was the least of my worries at the moment but it remains worrisome. While I'm throwing my guitar around and everyone is doing judo rolls (exaggerated example) our bassist is standing stock still, not moving a muscle and looking overall dull. She hasn't mentioned anything about stage fright but if Dee Dee Ramone could handle I'm sure she could too.

C'mon, John Entwistle (who was voted the bassist of the millennium by the way) stood perfectly still for a whole gig and managed to kick ass! Not all people like to jump around the stage doing judo rolls. And bassists tend to sit back, tap their foot and look cool. You did a gig which you said turned out to be fine, so stage fright shouldn't be a problem right? Plus while she's drawing all the male fans with her hotness you'll get the attention from the female fans with your crazy stage antics! Everybody wins! But yeah as you said it's the least of your worries or as I'd say one's stage presence shouldn't be an issue at all.

Now the fact that the Bassist is a babe is quite a problem, even though you might have balls of steel you could imagine what something like this could lead to. When I say they like her I mean they really like her its not affecting their concentration (yet), but as we grow tighter and tighter as a band you'd think this might lead to something or other right? What if she decides to enter into a relationship with the drummer (=guitarist is devistated). What if she decides to enter into a relationship with someone outside the band (=Both guys devistated).

Exactly how much are they drooling over her? Are they seriously hitting on her or just a little flirting here and there appropriate for teenagers? And how old are you guys? I mean if she decides to date somebody outside the band I hardly think the drummer or the guitarist would be devastated. Unless they're both madly and deeply in love with her which I highly doubt, considering their age (assuming you're teenagers because it's your first band).

LauIsSedated
05-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Exactly how much are they drooling over her? Are they seriously hitting on her or just a little flirting here and there appropriate for teenagers? And how old are you guys? I mean if she decides to date somebody outside the band I hardly think the drummer or the guitarist would be devastated. Unless they're both madly and deeply in love with her which I highly doubt, considering their age (assuming you're teenagers because it's your first band).

In all fairness I'm actually the youngest at 18, the bassist is slightly older than me by a couple months and the other guys are 19. Well It's progressed from the occasional flirt, to some more serious flattery, until a few weeks ago when the bassist hooked up with some guy at a party. She wasn't out to hurt anyone, she's kind of oblivious to the other guys I suppose. Needless to say the other guys didn't take it very well, but they were up and at it again after a week or so. You're quite right about your John Entwistle point, quite silly of me for not considering The Who at all... We're all deathly serious about making great pop music though. And the tips about the Metronome are a great idea, i'll do that right away! If any of you could come up with any help for my guitarist that would be appreciated, booting him really is a last last resort...

Lendorav
05-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Definitely don't boot him right away. I've said this before: bands are so much like marriages it's not even funny. And the best way to save a marriage is to sit down and talk things through. Just have a little band meeting and talk about what's bothering you. Well anyways good luck and I'll hope everything turns out good. And first bands don't always break up! Shame to whoever said so!

WhereArtEsteban
05-20-2007, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=LauIsSedated]2: Our bassist is a babe, the drummer and guitarist are pretty gaga over her and i'm sure it grow over time, I'm sure that'll lead to trouble. and problem number 3 (the smallest really): Our bassist is really concentrated and all but I think she doesn't put much enthusiasm in her playing, she plays right but she does'nt play with any flair or style. My and the other guys show off and play about all the time, we we're hoping she would grow into it as well. I already told her a number of times, I really don't care if it hurts your playing just put some feeling into it.

[QUOTE]
Have her wear like a rain coat and a mask when she plays at practices so the guitarist and drummer aren't distracted.

dreadhead100
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
ok dude, quit complaining i've got it worse off than you. my band is a mess. we have two guitarists, one being me. the other is pretty good but he knows nothing about music and his dad has been playing for over 50 years. my drummer has the worst case of ADD and will never shut up so we dont get anything done. our bassist is good all except for the fact that he is gay and wants to rape the other guitarist. we just found a vocalist so that's ok i guess. o yeah....and i'm dating the bassist's little sister. got any advice for me?

Man-bitch
06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
ok dude, quit complaining i've got it worse off than you. my band is a mess. we have two guitarists, one being me. the other is pretty good but he knows nothing about music and his dad has been playing for over 50 years. my drummer has the worst case of ADD and will never shut up so we dont get anything done. our bassist is good all except for the fact that he is gay and wants to rape the other guitarist. we just found a vocalist so that's ok i guess. o yeah....and i'm dating the bassist's little sister. got any advice for me?

LOL! :D
The last problem is kinda irrelevant. I mean, like some guy above mentioned, John Entwistle was pillar steady and pwned everyone. Same goes for John Myung of Dream Theater. Maybe she'll grow on it, if not: then hey, THAT'S her style :P

Page&HammettFan
06-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Your bassist being a girl is not a problem. Find the guitarist and the drummer girlfriends that they like and that should fix that.

Her having no flair is also not a problem. A crowd would much rather see a good band that sounds and plays great than a ****ty band that can't play their instruments but are willing to smash them over their amps.

The guitarist having no sense of time is a pretty easy fix. You guys (and girl) just need to work with him on it. Should be easy if you're all willing to work at it.

Shib
06-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Ditch the guitarist and shag the babe.