How long do first bands last?

PDA

View Full Version : How long do first bands last?

METSOAD
05-22-2007, 02:52 PM
In your experience, how long did your first band last?

Mine has been going for a year and many people have been intrested in us, from younger fans to older seasoned people in signed bands?

Is that normal?

Bloodshed
05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
3 1/2 years

and yeah we got noticed alot...but then drummers flake out...it never fails, lol

Green_Jelly
05-22-2007, 02:59 PM
1.5 years in my case. Split due to musical disagreement in spring 2005. Unfortunately, I'm the only one that hasn't found a new band since then. :(

cody733
05-22-2007, 03:00 PM
mine's going on to 4 years, about two of which we've actually been performing and recording and my other band is just coming up around 8 months

ZootCst
05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
...but then drummers flake out...it never fails, lol

Sad but true. :(

My first band lasted about 8 months. We only played one real gig.

skater dan0
05-22-2007, 03:03 PM
2 years for me it ended because of a clash of egos between the singer, the drummer and me.

they argued, i got pissed and left.

Kurt_Rosenwinkl
05-22-2007, 03:07 PM
ive maybe stayed in a band for like a year max. what ends up happening is i keep musicians from each band i played with to jam with, and i just constantly jam out with people, never gig unfortunately though :( no one would pay to see improvisational music these days just crap green day cover bands and 80s hair metal horse crap. Ive been jammin with a bass player and a drummer ive known for along time for about 5 years now, and they were both from previous bands i was in

Second Rate
05-22-2007, 03:09 PM
a couple months. Our lead guitar player had a bloated sense of self importance so we ditched him and then reshuffled with new personel and a new style (in fact that same guitar player has destroyed a few other bands i've been in).

Kuula
05-22-2007, 03:15 PM
2 years for me it ended because of a clash of egos between the singer, the drummer and me.

they argued, i got pissed and left.

I've never understood how a singer can have a clash of ego with an instrumentalist.

BassPlayer116
05-22-2007, 03:16 PM
about 5 years, played a few good gigs, headlined 1 or 2 local shows and when it was time to step it up a notch ego's and creative differences got in the way so i decided to leave.

Worhan
05-22-2007, 04:32 PM
4 months, 2 covers, no originals, no gigs. Glad its over.

skater dan0
05-22-2007, 05:18 PM
I've never understood how a singer can have a clash of ego with an instrumentalist.

well i have a very short temper and a hell of an ego

my singer was an egotistical self righteous twerp

and my drummer was just as bad

so there was always a kind of power struggle going on between the three of us until it got way out of hand between the other 2 (they started getting us banned from practice studios and i walked out.

Dutch_Apples
05-23-2007, 03:13 AM
A month. We played a house party and then the bassist (and my best friend) at the time said he "didn't have a musical bone" in his body.

RockerPseudonym
05-23-2007, 03:16 AM
well i have a very short temper and a hell of an ego

+1

My first band was punk rock and I was singer. We lasted 3 months and 2 parties.

whalepudding
05-23-2007, 06:13 AM
My first "band" lasted a few years, without a single practise. I haven't been in a real band yet.

devilscruffs14
05-23-2007, 06:24 AM
like 6 months. then the bassist flaked out cuz he was a lazy ████. 3 covers, 1 original, no gigs. GAY!

Dunjma
05-23-2007, 06:49 AM
My first "band" lasted a few years, without a single practise. I haven't been in a real band yet.

+1
my other band members couldnt organise thier way out of a paper bag lol. and i cant help them out either

KavaticaMetal
05-23-2007, 11:28 AM
my first band lasted about a year...we got pretty popular, we even co-headlined a few shows but i was doing ALL of the writing and i got pretty tired of that....

even though i am in a way better band now we are talking about getting the old band back together just for kicks and giggles, maybe play a few shows locally...it would be fun to hang out with those guys again....

NotTheSun3290
05-23-2007, 11:34 AM
We lasted about a year. 15 blink-182 covers and one show. The end. Now I'm in another real band (nothing like blink-182) with 2 of the same people.

http://www.myspace.com/thesearchlightissafety

NotTheSun3290
05-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I've also been in about 6 bands with the same 2 people (2 different people than the aforementioned) that lasted various lenghts until our guitarist and songwriter decided he wanted a different style of music and band name. In order:

Black Monday (Post Hardcore)
MAGnum 44 (Pop Punk)
Apollo (AVA Type of Arena Rock)
K!D (Trip-hop Alternative??)
VAAN (Brand New-esque pop punk)

Now the two of them have a little "Project" going on called:
Goodfellas vs Goodfellas (Gay Incarnate)

DigUpHerBones
05-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm in my first band at the moment, and we've been going almost a year. My other band the same... don't see us splitting up and we're starting to get gigs etc.

Schiz31
05-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Well, my first "band" was me, my neighbor, and some smelly kid we found at school. Lasted exactly 3 weeks. Week 1 we got together, week 2 we found a bassist and worked on the song we wrote the week before. Week 3 everyone quit because smelly kid was a pain in the arse.
My first real band i joined over a year ago. I got tossed once for personal differences, but i'm back and we're starting to gig with our like 9 originals.
~Dan

Bloodshed
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I can't complain about what we did....over the 3 1/2 years we played we wrote about 25 originals, played 2 covers, and played more shows than I remember....like I said though, drummers ruin stuff like that. Every band I've played in, a drummer ends it all.

Duljan
05-23-2007, 02:03 PM
we were together for maybe 7-8 months i dont know, was a long time ago. in the beginning everybody were excited and in to it. but when we decided to play starfire with dragonforce and we needed an organplayer, who were a friend of ours, the drummer and the other guitarist freaked out. those three were just sitting there talking about everything and me and the basist just stood waiting for them to come play. sometimes the guys didnt ever show up, and they didint call or anything. we could play a few songs, among them, knockin on heavens door, our own little version :) and iron without lyrics because the other guitarist never learned them, a bit of starfire.. etc. about 5 songs i think. so we cut it. me and the basist cut it. i dont play with him anymore since he lost his musicinterest. so now i play in two bands and were really strong together so i think this will hold on long

Guitargod12345
05-23-2007, 02:45 PM
As long as you make them last

greendayguitar
05-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Mine lasted about a year. I left, well no.. they kicked me out :rolleyes:

All we did was play 4 different song; American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Holiday, and the Hell songs. Then they'd all screw off and play X-Box. I formed a new band. We're doing awesome :)

RHCPKicksA$$
05-23-2007, 10:58 PM
2 years, and we have our first show coming up this summer. I'm excited.
the first year and a half was just me and the singer, then in the last 6 months we got a really good bassist and drummer. It feels so awesome when we're at band practice and everything meshes and it's just perfect. It's what I live for.

greendayguitar
05-24-2007, 07:41 PM
2 years, and we have our first show coming up this summer. I'm excited.
the first year and a half was just me and the singer, then in the last 6 months we got a really good bassist and drummer. It feels so awesome when we're at band practice and everything meshes and it's just perfect. It's what I live for.

I hear you, man. I can't stand playing alone in my room anymore. It sounds so empty with out the smoothness of the rhythm guitar, the punch of the bass, the kick of the bass drum, and the smack of the snare drum. When it all flows well together..*orgasms*

Taoistic_Beer
05-25-2007, 11:33 AM
4 Months. Exactly as the bassist predicted. Which is pretty much the boiling point for the "bands which have hope" and "bands which just aren't made for each other"

Band name: FAIL
Members: Rhythm, Bass, Drummer (Start), Lead (Last month)
2 "originals", 1 cover, 0 gigs.

Originals -
The one that I made about getting drunk on moonshine was pretty OK (Srsly I don't get why they didn't like it D: Maybe it was because of my singing "talents"), but the second one the bassist pitched.... Atrocious. :sad:
Cover? Fell in love with a girl by WHITE STRIPES.

The point was that nobody learned their parts. It seemed as if we all took turns in forgetting. The cover was also played only because I told the drummer to improvise and told the bassist to do something.
When we weren't playing covers, we were playing the second "original"
Also no vocals. No ****ing vocals. :sad:

Plus it was really bad when a lead guitarist joined and was like HEY GUYS, DANI CALIFORNIA ON MAX VOLUME, 100 % CLEAN. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyway, the end result was that the bassist and his girlfriend broke up after letting her come to the practice some times, the drummer developed a reflex to do BA DUM TSCHH all the time and I became a little bit wiser. And I learned to tune my guitar! :bonk:

LESSONS LEARNED: 1. Communication is really important. Learn to agree and to learn songs together.
2. The relationship between the band members should be friendly and fluid, not some kind of a backstabbing battle royale.
3. Vocals. VOCALS. VOCALS!
4. When things start going awry, just scream STOP and speak out your mind. (Grow some balls and don't hope that one day you will go like EUREKA and rewrite the riff and turn it into a rock classic)
5. IF I HEAR THAT ****ING RIFF BASSIST/I MADE ONE MORE TIME...!

I should learn to improvise or something.

JvL
05-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Golden Earring... 46 years :)

Joetime
05-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Mines been going on for a little over a year. I am uncetain of the future. The drummer and I are the only ones complimented on. The guitarist is an egotistical prick who can't do solos and the singer is a good writer and a good friend, but his vocals and frequent bi-polar outbreaks are getting old.

We had a gig but the guitarist couldn't make it, so we cancelled it.

I was going to start another band but the guy I was going to start it with got in trouble for getting drunk at a party and got caught by his parents.

The Ocean '73
05-25-2007, 05:31 PM
40 years :)

Left_hander_nz
05-29-2007, 04:49 AM
HEY GUYS, DANI CALIFORNIA ON MAX VOLUME, 100 % CLEAN. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

sigged

hahah we been together about 1 month now but its going really well and i expect it to last longer

utahotc
05-30-2007, 07:57 PM
*bows to JvL and The Ocean '73*

I really, really envy that. 40+ years of the same band? Wish I had friends who would do that.

My band? We've been going on for about a year. NO COVERS, ORIGINALS, OR GIGS. Two different bassists, the old one got his when Media PLay went under for $30, the other paid $500 for his "Vintage Gibson Thundrbird Bass! It's so rare!" (translation: epiphone knockoff. Still a kickass bass, though). The second bassist refuses to learn any sort of bass theory, but can jam "by ear". I can't play with him! So far, we've done pretty much 3 jams, and all they talk about is what we should do instead of doing it.

I'm sad. :( See? Sad face.

trey-col89
05-30-2007, 08:15 PM
5 months? Egos ran rampant, high school is no place for a serious band.

Deathcore Dude
05-31-2007, 04:45 AM
i went past a year with my first band...probarly because in your first band you do alot of experimenting and stuff....and well its good to use stay with your first band for a while for the experience...unless their really ****.

NotTheSun3290
05-31-2007, 10:58 AM
5 months? Egos ran rampant, high school is no place for a serious band.

Not true. You just have to find the right people and lay the gauntlet down right away. Get on the same page of what you want to do as a 'family' and where you want to go. It helps when you all have talent with minimal egos too.

KnightBand
05-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Is that normal?

It doesn't have to be normal, it just means you guys kick ass.

Heavens_To_Hell
05-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Well, my first "band" was me, my neighbor, and some smelly kid we found at school. Lasted exactly 3 weeks. Week 1 we got together, week 2 we found a bassist and worked on the song we wrote the week before. Week 3 everyone quit because smelly kid was a pain in the arse.
My first real band i joined over a year ago. I got tossed once for personal differences, but i'm back and we're starting to gig with our like 9 originals.
~Dan
"9 originals"?! [cough cough SLIPKNOT cough cough]

claudman
05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
my first band was for around 3 months. all covers, a5ound 7. we had to fake gigs, one was at my friends birthday party and another at my camp reunion.

DehumanizeR
06-03-2007, 09:24 AM
My first band was a thrash metal oufit (me on bass) which started with metallica covers and then moved on to originals. We recorded 3 songs without vocals and then broke up after about 5 months because the rest wanted to play green day-ish pop.

My second band came a month after. I joined as growler/guitarist in a black metal band and played with them maybe 3-4 months and then quit due to lack of rehersals, the other guitarist also quit at the same time.

Now I'm in my third band which I started with the drummer one year ago but we got going in march this year when we finally found a serious guitarist who acctually like the music we play. So far we've got 2 originals recorded and lots more under construction and unrecorded. We have only played one gig and released one demo but this summer we're gonna gig alot more and record a split so everything is looking bright.

timeforheroes
06-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm just starting my first band with some good friends. I already have a good few originals written so it'll just be practicing this summer.

Emo-Bass
06-03-2007, 05:30 PM
about 2 months.....3 originals..1 cover...1 gig...people liked us.....but both our guitarests quit the same night and started a new band that plays the same exact music...hell..they even play one of the songs they wrote while with us...they just wanted to be in one with different people......

Vandelay
06-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Ive been in a few bands over the years, none of which have gotten far. The first band lasted about 6 months, featured me on bass, a friend on guitar, and another on vocals. We had like 3 originals but the guitarist left so it turned into me and the singer making fun of people to a guitar riff. After that i was in like 3 bands that had about the same ending, never played a gig with any of my bands. Now im just playing solo at coffee houses.

FenderKid87
06-04-2007, 01:15 AM
6 months. Then the drummer sold his kit because he was out of weed.

J Remmy Jerms
06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
The first band I was in lasted three weeks. There was no orgainization and the drummer thought it was more important to get high at practice than practice.