A way to turn your computer into an AMP?

PDA

View Full Version : A way to turn your computer into an AMP?

Just Giver
05-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey guys, I am just wondering if there is anyway to turn your computer into an AMP? Via some sort of USB device hopefully? I'd like to use my speaker setup, I will be using this for an acoustic guitar, as well as a mic.

poipoi
05-23-2007, 01:18 PM
i think you have USB-cables who can fix that job, but you'll have to make sure that your speakers are good ones, i've heard that it can sound real crappy...

sashki
05-23-2007, 01:18 PM
you can get one of those Line 6 things that convert your guitar signal into a digital one.

You can also get Amp Farm or Amplitube plugins for recording software like Cubase, to emulate guitar amps.

Hoppusorange
05-23-2007, 01:20 PM
i just plugged my guitar into the microphone jack. And yes, they do sound like ████...

Yngwi3
05-23-2007, 01:36 PM
you can get one of those Line 6 things that convert your guitar signal into a digital one.

That's called a Spider ;)

DuckyPower
05-23-2007, 01:46 PM

haha i thought the exact same thing.

Don_Humpador
05-23-2007, 02:10 PM

That's called crap :)

Deviant1853
05-23-2007, 02:16 PM
I use Freeamp 2 along with Mini-host. Everything you need is here:

Freeamp 2: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2426.html
Mini-host: http://www.tobybear.de/p_minihost.html
ASIO4ALL: http://www.asio4all.com/

Freeamp is the VST plugin, mini host is the program that hosts the VST plugin, and it requires a ASIO driver and thats ASIO4ALL. For a free setup they work brilliantly :)

It doesnt require any external system but I am not certain how useful it will be for an acoustic guitar.

Yngwi3
05-23-2007, 02:51 PM
That's called crap :)
...? I think you misunderstood the joke

Don_Humpador
05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
...? I think you misunderstood the joke

Then explain. :peace:

You said it was a Spider, and I said the Spider was crap.

thedonutman
05-23-2007, 05:06 PM
You could always use Guitar Rig, but you'd need a fast PC and a good sound card if you don't want loads of lag.

Just Giver
05-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Hey guys thanks for all of the responses,

I have http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486 these speakers. They are pretty good, but I'm not sure if they are good enough for a guitar?

So out of all of the options, I am assuming some sort of external device would be a good idea... does anyone know of a mixer that can plug into USB? Or something else? (Maybe a full mixer is overkill?)

Thanks soo much!

Reincaster
05-24-2007, 01:56 AM
Hey guys thanks for all of the responses,

I have http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486 these speakers. They are pretty good, but I'm not sure if they are good enough for a guitar?

So out of all of the options, I am assuming some sort of external device would be a good idea... does anyone know of a mixer that can plug into USB? Or something else? (Maybe a full mixer is overkill?)

Thanks soo much!

Not off the top of my head, but there are lots of mixers with usb, from alesis and behringer.

Just Giver
05-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Im also looking to setup time coded vinyls, so I'm not sure if this has any relevance. But I will be buying a 4X4 pro external audio card. I'd also like to plug a mic in.

Thanks for the suggestions

haz_uk
05-24-2007, 03:21 AM

no...that's called a toneport. clever dick.

sashki
05-24-2007, 06:56 AM

I am very offended.

EpiPaul
05-24-2007, 08:29 AM
guitar - effects pedal w/wo turned on, current still goes to pickups - to microphone jack of computer then go to volume control of you have it and select unmute of microphone - or you can just plug the cord from your external speakers into the output of the pedal. this is the way i do it. even though i have an amp lol...

plankermaxx
05-24-2007, 08:52 AM

LOL some brilliant reactions to that :devil:

Just Giver
06-02-2007, 04:14 PM
guitar - effects pedal w/wo turned on, current still goes to pickups - to microphone jack of computer then go to volume control of you have it and select unmute of microphone - or you can just plug the cord from your external speakers into the output of the pedal. this is the way i do it. even though i have an amp lol...
do you notice any loss of quality?

sam i am
06-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I posted this in another thread, and I'll post it again

Yeah, tis possible with any pedal that can be used as a preamp.

All you need to do is get a 1/4 inch - 2.5mm lead (guitar jack size to headphone jack size).

Plug the output from you pedal into the line in of your soundcard (it should be the blue one).

Then on windows volume control or your soundcard's volume control go to play back and make sure that "line in" is turned on and the volume is up. You will then hear it coming through speakers, even when you're not running any programs.

You can also use this method to record if you don't have a decent mic, just select "line in" as in the input device on whatever software you use.

Hope that was a help.

Yngwi3
06-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Then explain. :peace:

You said it was a Spider, and I said the Spider was crap.

:peace:

no...that's called a toneport. clever dick.

I was making a joke... "clever dick" :rolleyes:

I am very offended.

good good :D :peace:

LOL some brilliant reactions to that :devil:

Haha yeah, blatantly obvious jokes seem to pass over the heads of youths today

:cheers:

ScoRnoS
06-02-2007, 04:23 PM
One thing I've seen before is this thing called stealthplug.. look it up

stealthplug.com

beckyjc
06-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Just stick it into the mic/line in jack.
It'll sound like ass unless you have a good speaker/sound card system.
Also latency presents an issue. But can also be solved with a good sound card.

Reincaster
06-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Just stick it into the mic/line in jack.
It'll sound like ass unless you have a good speaker/sound card system.
Also latency presents an issue. But can also be solved with a good sound card.

Yes, and blow your card, good job.

mingles
06-02-2007, 07:53 PM
arent those podxt things able to do this?

Adam144
06-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Yes, and blow your card, good job.

Well, no, not really.

I plug my guitar into my sound card directly with no problems at all. Even coming from my amp on the OD channel with volume turned up.. no problems.

Still sounds like ass though, even on my X-Fi XtremeMusic card. No latency problems though because with Creative's ASIO driver you can change the latency. I have mine set to 5ms atm :D

Reincaster
06-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, no, not really.

I plug my guitar into my sound card directly with no problems at all. Even coming from my amp on the OD channel with volume turned up.. no problems.

Still sounds like ass though, even on my X-Fi XtremeMusic card. No latency problems though because with Creative's ASIO driver you can change the latency. I have mine set to 5ms atm :D

Yes, but the unbalanxed resistance will slows churn your card to bits over time. You don't want voltage spikes and extraneous current to ruin your card.

It may be fine using line in, but the mic input is not suitable, they are completely different inputs.

KissingShadows
06-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Haha yeah, blatantly obvious jokes seem to pass over the heads of youths today

You're 16.

Try out one of those Line 6 Toneports (I think),

I played one at a friend's house and while they do sound kinda thin, they do what you are looking for, I believe.

I think Into Eternity recorded their last two albums' guitar parts with one of those...

xifr
06-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah, tis possible with any pedal that can be used as a preamp.

All you need to do is get a 1/4 inch - 2.5mm lead (guitar jack size to headphone jack size).

Plug the output from you pedal into the line in of your soundcard (it should be the blue one).

Then on windows volume control or your soundcard's volume control go to play back and make sure that "line in" is turned on and the volume is up. You will then hear it coming through speakers, even when you're not running any programs.

You can also use this method to record if you don't have a decent mic, just select "line in" as in the input device on whatever software you use.

Hope that was a help.
Bolded for emphasis, you need a preamp of some kind or it will have nearly no volume. If your amp has an effects loop you can plug into your amp and take the effects loop send into the direct in of your computer.

gsr2k6
06-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Best way would be get a mfx processor and run it usb in, it will sound great.

TwoString
06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Crap, if I only had the link....

I remember seeing several guys building their guitar rigs around the Mac Mini when it first came out. I think they were running several effects programs and re ampers live. Their racks were outfitted with a small audio interface and a couple of SS power amps. To control the effects and patches real time they were using MIDI pedalboards and wireless keyboards/mice and had 7" LCD screens on the front of their racks and on the surface of their pedalboards. It was pretty interesting...anything you could do in a studio as far as digital processing they could pull it off live.

Yngwi3
06-03-2007, 12:18 PM
You're 16

Good observation skill

your point?

TehNez
06-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Guitar Rig + Interface ftw.

And I got the Spider joke *shrugs shoulder*

bgmacaw
06-03-2007, 01:29 PM
The way I do it is that I have a small Behringer mixer plugged into my computer's Line In plug. I plug in a modeling unit, pre-amp or a mike into the mixer. And that's all there is to it, other than getting the levels right across the board which can be tricky.