How long?

PDA

View Full Version : How long?

whitebeast666
05-23-2007, 11:01 PM
How long were you playing guitar when you first had a band or just jammed with friends? I was just asking because I know this drummer at school who has been playing for 2.5 years, but I've only been playing guitar for a month, and was thinking of trying to jam with him at some point in the near future.

P.S. I've already heard him play drums, and he is good.

MTVget0FFtheAIR
05-23-2007, 11:07 PM
i started right away. its really good to be able to jam and learn from friends when you're first starting. and if the drummer hasn't played any other instruments, he might not notice that you are so new.

itormentbunnies
05-23-2007, 11:09 PM
I played I think a year and a half before I started jamming with friends(though, none of my friends started playing guitar until that time too...) The only problem I would worry about you is that you've been only playing a month but regardless of skill, I still highly recommend you to at least try and jam with him. I find I've gotten more open in songwriting/music tastes after jamming with friends.

davebooska
05-23-2007, 11:11 PM
DO IT ASAP! it will help you learn to keep a beat. not only that, but it will keep this fun. rocking out with friends is always better than jamming alone. ESPECIALLY because its drums. drums own face

whitebeast666
05-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Ok guys, thanks. I'm going to try and find a way to jam with him at some point.

Sun Child
05-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Play with as many things as you can man.... It gets heavy, just jam man, like when I first started guitar I'd listen to birds and try to play what they sang... It didn't work (I didn't know the key the were in) but playing with other people man.. its easier.. and helps you soo much man.

Do it! Keep jammin' peace

davebooska
05-23-2007, 11:17 PM
yeah you learn way faster. for srsly

whitebeast666
05-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok guys, I'm going to ask him tomarrow at school. :D Lol, I should have asked him tonight when we were presenting our crap for what we did this year in school.

Second Rate
05-23-2007, 11:45 PM
I had been drumming for six years before i joined my first band (i didn't get rockstar lust until i was 18). Just jam with the dude and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out it's no big deal..... you can always find more people to jam with.

Echelon
05-26-2007, 07:59 AM
My first band started when we'd all been playing for 6 months, that was over 3 years ago now. Ive been playing drums for 4 years and the thing that has helped me the most is playing with a band, you learn so much from it, its incredible. Its also one thing you cant be taught by a teacher you have to experience it yourself.

My guitarist was pretty crap when we started, all he could really play was a string of powerchords but him and me owned the rights to all the music and now we play it in my current band, which he is the lead guitarist in. Its one of our most popular and well known songs.
Simplicity is usually the best way to go in a band.

timeforheroes
05-27-2007, 08:13 AM
As long as you know basics like a few scales and improvisation it should be o.k. . just have fun.

hippyguitardude
05-27-2007, 11:06 PM
i jammed w/ people quite quickly, and actually wrote and recorded a crappy solo album that i sold at my school for 2 bucks to people before i had played for a full year. My first real band was after a bit less than a year

civildp1
05-28-2007, 01:05 AM
my mom wouldn't let me get an electric guitar until I had taken lessons on the acoustic for a year, so I played guitar for a year and a month or two until I started a band.

I started drumming in a band about 5 days after I got my first kit. I had been playing other people's kits for a while, so I basically knew what I was doing, but playing with people at such an early stage really helped me progress quickly.

pattybuns
05-28-2007, 01:12 AM
i played for about a year and a half i don't like people who just like get a guitar for Christmas and are already in a band, i think you need to learned he essentials before you can even attempt to make any music.

yawn
05-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Been playing guitar for over three years - haven't had a band yet.

I jammed with my fellow guitarist friend many times since starting guitar, and once with a drummer as well, but we didn't get much accomplished.

Doolittle
05-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Been playing guitar for over three years - haven't had a band yet.

I jammed with my fellow guitarist friend many times since starting guitar, and once with a drummer as well, but we didn't get much accomplished.
yeah sorta similar to me. I've been playing bass for around 3-4 years but just a few weeks ago i seated my friend down on drums and now we have this little band going, but we still need a guitarist which is pissing me off...

yawn
05-28-2007, 01:08 PM
^ A band with a shortage of guitarists? There's something you don't hear everyday. :p:

DevilMayCare
05-28-2007, 04:47 PM
It was 3 and a half years before I even jammed with anyone...mostly because the other musicians in my area didn't think I was good enough to jam with them, ignoring the fact that it would be highly beneficial for my progress for me to jam with them....

Doolittle
05-28-2007, 07:38 PM
^ A band with a shortage of guitarists? There's something you don't hear everyday. :p:
yeah it's pretty weird. but i'm glad i've got bass & drums down which to most people seem to be the hardest, but we're both very picky about who we want in the band and not to mention we're lazy