How to say a song sucks?...

PDA

View Full Version : How to say a song sucks?...

AM190
05-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Our bassist is writing tunes but they suck..they are so bare wit no melody harmony or rhythm and totally are not our style of music (and i think Reggee Prog Metal is a paradox of styles if ever i heard one..i like 311 but Reggee prog metal..!?!)

How can we explain his songs sucks are cant be used in the band because we have all written songs that work well.

DeathForAll
05-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I've got the same problem, too.

My guitar player writes the same lyrics over and over, talking about death, and trying to use all these big words. They suck.

I don't know how to tell him either. :(

nick83
05-24-2007, 01:30 AM
i think thats the same for everyone how has ever been in a band. it happens to me all the time. i dont have an answer though.

ZootCst
05-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Be honest, but try not to piss him off. Stuff like that is extremely hard to deal with in a band, but, usually if you're already friends with the guy, he'll at least listen.

Everybody's different, though. I once worked with a singer who wrote, and some of his songs were awful. He just couldn't handle any kind of criticism, constructive or otherwise. He managed the band well and put on a good show, so I played the songs, but I didn't like it.

yawn
05-24-2007, 01:32 AM
"You're my friend, so I want to be honest and straightforward about this. Your songwriting sucks. Btw I slept with your girlfriend. She's fantastic."

RockerPseudonym
05-24-2007, 01:36 AM
^ "So I suggest we write a song about how I fucked your girl in the ass on your dad's bed. It's Win Win!!"

DeathForAll
05-24-2007, 01:37 AM
"You're my friend, so I want to be honest and straightforward about this. Your songwriting sucks. Btw I slept with your girlfriend. She's fantastic."

/thread

AM190
05-24-2007, 01:40 AM
well i also write lyrics as well and the drummer is like those lyrics arent good, but has no alternative or suggestions..thats not constructive but when i say can you try this beat he starts playing jazz to piss me off..

ZootCst
05-24-2007, 01:42 AM
/band

AM190
05-24-2007, 01:50 AM
what does /that mean when you put it against a post

also what does FTW mean and also YHM....

yawn
05-24-2007, 01:54 AM
For the win, and you have mail.

The "/" is just a pseudo-code joke.

ibanezguitars44
05-24-2007, 02:09 AM
like at the end of a code you put a "/"beofre the code. like to make text bold on myspace you type "<.b> text <./b>" except without the ".'s so the "/b" is the end of the code. so "/band" would be the end of the band and "/thread" would be like ending the thread

METSOAD
05-24-2007, 06:36 AM

/thread

but in all seriousness, try to take some of his suggestions and add what you want to them to make them good, make sure that if you really dont like something say something like 'this isnt really the type of sound were going for, you know our other songs all have (insert characteristic of your music that you like), try and put (characteristic) into some of your writing

PLUGINCHILD
05-24-2007, 06:45 AM
i have a great idea tell someone to come in, one of your friends that he doesnt know, and tell him his songs suck!

SuperBlob
05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Just tell him. Not harsh, like "That's utter sh!t, fnck off and let us do the writing", but more like "Sorry, I don't really like it". Perhaps give a few reasons why, and then move on. Don't dwell, dwelling is bad :p:

Drmckool
05-26-2007, 01:18 AM
when i was in a band i would just say "dude that sucks", "i'm not playing that" or "let me write the song"

Echelon
05-26-2007, 08:01 AM
You and your band members should be really close and should be able to tell each other anything, so come straight out and tell him.
If you cant communicate properly your band wont work, I guarantee it. So make it work.

He shouldnt be offended, unless you say something like youre **** at writing or whatever.
Just say you dont think it works or it doesnt suit the song or something like that, thats the best and easiest way to put it.

guitarfan93
05-26-2007, 02:40 PM
tell him what you dont like about. The other gtrist in my band writes some of the sappiest slow songs ive ever heard and i told him that a ballad just wouldnt be our style.

Schiz31
05-27-2007, 12:18 AM
In my band, we have a simple system. If you don't have a better idea, you let it fly. If your bassist's stuff "sucks" tell him what you don't like, and contriubte ideas on how to make it work better. If it can't be salvaged, at least try to find a bit of it worth keeping. As we learned a while ago, if you just shoot him down straight out he'll either stop contributing, or quit.

~Dan

the_triangle
05-27-2007, 12:21 AM
tell him it is **** and he should stop writing before he kills somebody with his gay music.

bluesrocker101
05-27-2007, 12:25 AM
You can say "there's room for improvement." Gets the point across.

Yngwi3
05-28-2007, 08:45 PM
when i was in a band i would just say "dude that sucks", "i'm not playing that" or "let me write the song"

:rolleyes:

Dunjma
05-29-2007, 05:14 AM
its simple. if u cant think of anything better at the time leave it be. if u can, then show them (them being band members) and decide what needs to be changed so that they both go together. everyone wins. like i said: simple

Deathcore Dude
05-29-2007, 06:52 AM
hmm me and my guitarist have had alot of tension in the whole time ive been in the band with him...im a more advanced player and well sometimes his stuff "wasnt so good"...ive learned now to not keep things in or it will just eventually come out when its too late e.g when your about to go into the recording studio/play live...
best thing to do is to have a sit down with him and discuss this...just say look we need to discuss some of the stuff your playing etc etc...

tongueofhtedog
05-29-2007, 04:36 PM
man, this brings back some memories...

on a side note..."can we play my song.." and the looks from my band mates
at times was priceless :D

HuskerDu
05-29-2007, 05:13 PM
In my experience, it's quite simple you go

"That's ****"

If you're going to be in a serious band you need to be able to hear that. I've had it said plenty of times when I've written a song that I thought was good at the time, and now looking back I can see why they were turned down. I tell that to the other folk in my band. It means we don't end up playing **** songs.

Quite simple.

hurlyz
05-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Just tell him that it's decent but it's not the kind of stuff you and the rest of the band would like to play :)

That should work :p:

whalepudding
05-30-2007, 04:12 AM
Just say you don't really like it. Tell him how he can write better music, and tell him what about the song you don't like.

EDIT ^ Don't do that. Don't lie and say it's just the wrong style, tell him you don't like it. But don't say it like HE sucks, just say the songs he's written so far suck. Show him how to improve his writing, if you just say it's the wrong style he'll just write a different style of shit song.

henza_x
05-30-2007, 04:22 AM
get him to listen to music that your band wants to sorta do..

if he doesnt change his style tell him he sucks

and also, he could be saying the same about you

Lgndkllr777
05-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Just tell them. Don't patronize them by making them think its good.

DagMX
06-05-2007, 09:29 AM
eh my drummer does this with lyrics...except he shows them to everyone else in the band and not to me so that means when i show up for practice, we have to go with his lyrics...I try saying they are lame but he keeps going on about how awesome they are. example of these lyrics are(bear in mind its a thrash/heavy metal band):
Sitting in my chair in the morning
looking at the newspaper in my hand
drinking a coffee from a mug..

It goes on like that...and its so dull with no musical flow...and my job is then to write a riff to accompany that...

well enough with my rant, tell your bassist that the stuff is nice, but you dont think it fits with your style of music. that way you don't hurt his feelings but you dont have to use his stuff