celestion vs. eminence

PDA

View Full Version : celestion vs. eminence

strq010
05-24-2007, 08:51 PM
im debating between celestion vintage-30's and eminence patriot texas heat's. i like the V-30's because i know they rock and i like the texas heats because theyre in krank's krankenstine cabs and theyre a lot cheaper when you buy four of them.
any suggestions on these speakers, or any other speaker combination for a 4X12 is appreciated

tubab0y
05-24-2007, 08:57 PM
i have one of the texas heats, and i think it's an amazing speaker. much better than the stock peavey one. i love it.

Hoppusorange
05-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Celestion vintage 30's all the way, man....

fatgraymatt
05-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I haven't tried Texas Heat's so I can't comment on them in particular. I had a Marshall 1960AV cab with V30's for years and really liked it, and I figured I'd be a V30 guy for the rest of my life. However, last year a Soldano 4X12 came up for sale locally for only $500 mint condition, and given Soldano's reputation and the price I figured I should check it out. That cab has Eminence Legends and they are killer. VERY similar tonally to the V30's but capable of a bit more, and tighter, low-end. Also I'd noticed that, as great as the V30's sounded, they could be a little harsh on the ears in the upper-midrange, especially if you were standing right in front of them. The Eminences cut through just as well in the top-end but are never harsh, no matter the volume or with regard to where you stand. Anyway, just my 2 cents. I don't think you can go wrong either way, both Celestion and Eminence make great stuff.

Cmogi10
05-24-2007, 11:37 PM
They all sound good, depending on the application.

Chromemoly
05-25-2007, 01:56 AM
The Celestions are good , but you are paying for the name hype. For most applications Eminence will beat them out. Any guitarist I know that has tried them hasn't gone back.

If you don't mix your speakers, you have been missing out on alot of tone and versatility, studio or live. You can mike different speakers for diff. tones and the overall tone of the cab will be fuller and come to life.

Here are some speakers that sound good mixed together, depending on the type of music you play, what your tone is now (guitar /amp) and wich direction you want to go with your tone is up to you with your choices. What music you play the most ? These are for a combined 4x12 300watt cab. Watch the ohms as some of these may differ. They are same wattage and similar sensitivity. If one is 2 or more db sens. only use one.

Governor

Wizard

Tonespotter

Blackpowder

Legend 1258.

I like a Governor, Wizard, 2 Tonespotters.

Governor, Wizard, Tonespotter, Blackpowder

Governor, Wizard, 2 Blackpowders for more chunkier low end and drop tunings.

Everyone raves about certain speakers, but those same people have probably done very little experimenting if any. They just updraded one time to what someone told them to and never heard anything else to compare it to.

Good Luck

TehJermie
05-25-2007, 02:05 AM
i think weber makes better speakers than both of them. although there are a few eminences that are quite nice. celestion moving production to china doesnt make me a happy camper either.

Chromemoly
05-25-2007, 02:10 AM
Tehjermie,
Weber has a couple speakers I like alot, they are just a little more $ though, not much more than Eminence.

For Webers I would Choose.

1 BlueDog Ceramic ( in 75 watts) ,1 12V , 2 1265's.
My friend has this setup in a Marsh. 1960 cab and it is awesome.

fatgraymatt
05-25-2007, 04:29 AM
Chromemoly, good answer! It's nice to finally hear from another "seasoned" (ie old) player here on UG, someone who actually knows what he's talking about. It seems the average age here is about 14. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Don_Humpador
05-25-2007, 09:02 AM
The Eminence speaker test on Gearwire may be worth a look : http://www.gearwire.com/eminence-speaker-test.html

nirvana001
05-25-2007, 09:05 AM
If you want to jam out to some classic rock I'd advise you get some celestion greenbacks.

Dave_Mc
05-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Everyone raves about certain speakers, but those same people have probably done very little experimenting if any. They just updraded one time to what someone told them to and never heard anything else to compare it to.

Good Luck

+1, experimenting with speakers is a lot like experimenting with pickups... more often than not, to try you have to buy... so very few people have much experience, other than "it's a heck of a lot better than my mg/avt speaker!!!"... including me...

:(